The NCAA...here they go again

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
This is so dumb. My likeness was used on my schools schedule when I played. I thought it was awesome. I can guarantee not one person saw that schedule and came to a game because I was on it. Players see it as an honor. Lawyers using players to make money see it as an opportunity.

Proof to earlier comment.

You're also right that folks are just trying to make a buck whether it's a former player (ex. O’Bannon) or a lawyer.

Animal02

Banned
Simple solution: Obtain written permission from players before making such cards.
I think it goes without saying that if you are playing on a team, that they have the right to use your image in PROMOTING THE TEAM, thus attracting fans which financially support the team and allow it to exist. It is a completely different story when your image/name etc is licensed to a third party to use to make a profit without compensation. That is the crux of the issue....and it is all on the NCAA shoulders. They are trying to distract from that with this "schedule card" BS.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Crickets from our AD and President. If my company got attacked like that, CEO makes a press release & Frank the lawyer's on the phone. We don't sit by idly and get spanked. Bad business and speaks volumes about their capabilities.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Crickets from our AD and President. If my company got attacked like that, CEO makes a press release & Frank the lawyer's on the phone. We don't sit by idly and get spanked. Bad business and speaks volumes about their capabilities.

Why does Tech need to say anything more than MBob has already said? This is not an announcement the NCAA is opening an "investigation" or anything of that nature. It was an b.s. comment made by someone who was trying to deflect from the NCAA systemic issues. One lesson corporate America has learned well is to leave crap along, do not give it any life and, until and unless it has ANY potential to become an issue, to let it die a natural death. I've not seen a word written or reported about Emmert's statement beyond the initial story. It was crap then and it's crap now, Tech has absolutely no need, nor reason to address it any further.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
This isn't an NCAA issue. This is a legal issue, which 90% of the posters in this thread don't grasp, and 75% won't grasp the diffference after pointing it out to them.

Well how about instead of simply proclaiming your intellectual superiority you give explaining it a shot instead. Give some of us chance to get on your level.

If our AD doesn't understand that the issue is the legality of using images of amateur (uncompensated) athletes to generate revenue, and that selling advertising for the schedule to generate the funds is no different than selling the schedule itself, then he needs to be fired immediately. He isn't smart enough to hold the job as AD. He seems to be upholding the fine tradition of stupidity established by Radakovich, God bless his orange soul.

The leadership void at the GTAA is creating a sucking that can be felt all the way to Brunswick

I'm pretty sure it is. You sound like someone who's basically decided that the GTAA is incompetent and going to force the facts into that narrative. I mean if you can explain to me legally why I'm wrong I'd love to hear it. But I'm not sure you can.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Jacketup: In my opinion, to equate the distribution of these schedule cards to "...using images of amateur (uncompensated) athletes to generate revenue..." is ridiculous. It may be your opinion, but I'm diametrically opposed to that opinion. To condescend to a fan group that is probably as intelligent as any in Division I-A Football (BCS, FBS or whatever it's called now), is probably not a good choice. You may feel strongly about this issue, and may even understand the legality better than most, but I'd feel pretty comfortable with most of this group understanding what you saying, whether they agree with you or not.

The advertisers are not paying to associate their name with these players, they're paying to associate their name with Georgia Tech Football. These players are part of the GT Football team and represent the team as leaders. These cards have been distributed with this advertising since before I started Tech in the mid 80's and I've seen cards with players' images and cards with Buzz, the Ramblin' Wreck or even the Tech Tower. These cards are no difference than the posters generated each year for the team to promote excitement about the team. These team leaders are honored by being highlighted. These are the play makers for the fans to watch for this year.

One additional comment: I'd have to disagree with any premise that the players are not gaining from this exposure either. These cards are distributed to fans and potential fans. The face and name recognition among the fans generates hype for these players, with garners attention from potential future employers (professionally in both athletics and non-athletic endeavors).