The NCAA...here they go again

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Kelly Quinlan chimed in with his two cents in conversation with the dwag schlabach:
Kelly Quinlan @Kelly_Quinlan · 4h
Sold ads on essentially cards with player likeness. Big issue I have when you don't pay ATH @Atlantabuzz81 @Mark_Schlabach @GaTechMarketing

Kelly Quinlan @Kelly_Quinlan · 5h
Of course it isn't RT @Mark_Schlabach: Emmert said of @GaTechMarketing schedule cards: "I personally don't find it appropriate at all."​

This is a new kind of stupid in my opinion. He's acting as if the players are acting as unpaid sponsors of the corporation. They're free GT schedule cards and relatively cheap advertising for corporate sponsors. People see corporate sponsors on free stuff all the time. Next thing you know Quinlan's going to be complaining that Pizza Hut isn't paying the players of the little league baseball team a local franchise supports because the kids are wearing jerseys with Pizza Hut on them. smh

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'd be willing to bet nearly every guy on our team wanted to be on the team poster, and I'll bet nearly every guy understood they'd be doing it for free. Same goes with these schedule cards. And if they didn't want to participate for free, I think GT would've let them opt out.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Kelly Quinlan chimed in with his two cents in conversation with the dwag schlabach:
Kelly Quinlan @Kelly_Quinlan · 4h
Sold ads on essentially cards with player likeness. Big issue I have when you don't pay ATH @Atlantabuzz81 @Mark_Schlabach @GaTechMarketing

Kelly Quinlan @Kelly_Quinlan · 5h
Of course it isn't RT @Mark_Schlabach: Emmert said of @GaTechMarketing schedule cards: "I personally don't find it appropriate at all."​

This is a new kind of stupid in my opinion. He's acting as if the players are acting as unpaid sponsors of the corporation. They're free GT schedule cards and relatively cheap advertising for corporate sponsors. People see corporate sponsors on free stuff all the time. Next thing you know Quinlan's going to be complaining that Pizza Hut isn't paying the players of the little league baseball team a local franchise supports because the kids are wearing jerseys with Pizza Hut on them. smh
Quinlan is a dwag too. FWIW.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Nah it's a slippery slope ESPECIALLY with what's going on right now. Bad Bad move by the marketing people. I don't really get how this got pass management.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Nah it's a slippery slope ESPECIALLY with what's going on right now. Bad Bad move by the marketing people. I don't really get how this got pass management.

Maybe we don't have "pass management" since we're not a passing team. FWIW, it sounded like it may have even come from Bobinski since he seemed to mention their use at Xavier.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it's a great Marketing move. Georgia Tech needs to be recognized everywhere. In past years Georgia Tech has abdicated the State to UGA. This is a little thing but it shows to me agressive marketing. Who knows? I might even start seeing Tech tee shirts at my Walmart instead of the Sea of Red and ugly uga faces. Political Correctness is permeating football and I was proud of Mike Bobinski defending it.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

Exactly. Bobinski's response, if true as reported, was beyond stupid.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
"At the trial, plaintiff’s lawyers reportedly entered into evidence a Tweet sent Thursday by the Tech marketing department sent out Thursday that included a photo of football schedule cards featuring several Tech players, including quarterback Justin Thomas, wide receiver DeAndre Smelter and nose tackle Adam Gotsis.

The tweet asked businesses to send their addresses and the athletic department would send them schedule cards."
&
"Tech is hardly the first school to use athletes’ likenesses in such a way, but had the misfortune of being held up as an example Friday (along with Kentucky, Oregon and Florida State, among others) in a trial closely followed by the college athletics industry. Much of the testimony during the trial in Oakland, Calif., has focused on the hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue received by the NCAA and its member conferences and schools and the degree to which college athletes are truly students and amateurs."

While I agree it's not much It's EXTREMELY poor timing you have to be aware of the climate. The NCAA is losing the case.

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2014/06/20/emmert-deems-tech-schedule-cards-inappropriate/

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
jesus guys tech has been doing this for years actually decades. now its an issue? Everyone is becoming too damn sensitive to nothing in the ultra-PC media environment we created

Yeah, its one thing to put someone on the cover of a NCAA game and sell it because everyone knows and likes that person and generate hype using that person, but to hand out free schedule cards at local business's...lol you have to be kidding.

Tech has done nothing wrong and Bobinski is totally right. With all the things bad in college athletics and this gets brought up what a joke.