The morning after

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
Fellows,,, I'm on a fixed income,, to be a season ticket holder, even in the nosebleed section, is part of my budget! My wife & I left at halftime, didn't want to see anymore. I didn't see a pass rush, too much time for the Pitt QB, plus no real
O-line blocking. After UNC, which I attended, I expected more. I love the Jackets, but we shouldn't lose to anyone by 30+,,,,

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We all know it takes time for the OLine to be recruited and to gel. Some say 2 years, others say 4. We all understand that. And we’ve been very patient and we all be here next September with high hopes again. But in the meantime do you just let your 4 star QB and RB get mauled, injured, and downtrodden? Or do you work with what you have and play with a system that takes advantage of what you have? Right now, Patenaude with Collins blessing is destroying Sims reputation and confidence with the turnovers, etc. We have plays that work. We had positive plays yesterday with quick passes to space and Gibbs out of the backfield with short passes. But for every smart play call that utilizes our strength, Patenaude calls 3 plays that play to our weakness. It simply doesn’t make sense. And the redzone play calling is the exact same that cost us the Clemson game. Zero change. Do we even watch our own tape? I can’t even imagine what our RB group is thinking today. I feel for our players.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
OL takes longest to get up to speed(all that entails) in college ball. Plus weight room work.
Why do you think the staff keeps having to bring in upperclass OL transfers!?!?

The OC should be helping the OL with more imagination in play calls.
I know it takes time but I'm not buying it in year three. And the transfers were primo. One of them spends most of his time on the bench, for some reason.
But I do agree that the OC could find more ways ways to ameliorate the lack of up front blocking, Handing the ball off up the middle ain't it.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I’m so exhausted at this point honestly. Last night I truly contemplated just removing myself from football. It ruins my mood. It honestly does. It’s so stupid, I know. But I can’t help but allow myself to get emotionally invested in these games.

But honestly, I can’t help but just confirm with myself that our coaches our booty. Not all of them, but the majority. I don’t know what it will take to get us back to being decent or when that will even be. It’s not my job.

My job is being a fan but I don’t know how much more I can take. I wait 8 months just to be disappointed and watch seemingly the same games happen over and over again.

I’ll always pull for our boys but good lord. It’s getting to be pretty taxing.
I feel your pain.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Fellows,,, I'm on a fixed income,, to be a season ticket holder, even in the nosebleed section, is part of my budget! My wife & I left at halftime, didn't want to see anymore. I didn't see a pass rush, too much time for the Pitt QB, plus no real
O-line blocking. After UNC, which I attended, I expected more. I love the Jackets, but we shouldn't lose to anyone by 30+,,,,
Bless you sir. Tech needs about 7,000 more people like you.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm pretty much done with Thacker, Key and Wiesehan. Did you guys know we had a tight ends coach?
We should have kept Sewak and saved about $400,000.
Don’t forget our DB coach, we have 5 coaches bringing in all the recruit commits. Half the staff are not decent coaches or recruiters.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Same people after every loss with an axe to grind.
Dude, no one has an axe to grind. I don’t even care about wins or losses. I’ve said that for 3 years now. But how do we just get completely dominated and some of you just accept it? I like Coach Collins. I like Coach Thacker. But in the past month we’ve seen nothing different from last year. Nada. Our OC still calls the same game that hasn’t led us to back to back wins SINCE HE’S BEEN HERE! And he has done nothing to help Sims become a better QB. He has totally destroyed his confidence. Yes, the OLine stinks. So call a game that doesn’t depend on the OLine. Teams do it every week. Right now we have 3 losses and not one of them is to a ranked team. We have 1 win against a P5 team. Are we suppose to pretend we are on the right track? We aren’t asking for much. Just don’t get blown out by 30 plus and lose to NIU. Next year we play Western Carolina between Clemson and Kiffen. I guess we should just accept losing to the Catamounts already.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Dude, no one has an axe to grind. I don’t even care about wins or losses. I’ve said that for 3 years now. But how do we just get completely dominated and some of you just accept it? I like Coach Collins. I like Coach Thacker. But in the past month we’ve seen nothing different from last year. Nada. Our OC still calls the same game that hasn’t led us to back to back wins SINCE HE’S BEEN HERE! And he has done nothing to help Sims become a better QB. He has totally destroyed his confidence. Yes, the OLine stinks. So call a game that doesn’t depend on the OLine. Teams do it every week. Right now we have 3 losses and not one of them is to a ranked team. We have 1 win against a P5 team. Are we suppose to pretend we are on the right track? We aren’t asking for much. Just don’t get blown out by 30 plus and lose to NIU. Next year we play Western Carolina between Clemson and Kiffen. I guess we should just accept losing to the Catamounts already.

We have had 2 performances that were better than expected, 2 that were worse and 1 that was expected. I figured we would be 3-2 but we are 2-3.

Clemson is still ranked at 25, I believe. Pitt will be ranked at some point.

The Pitt game sucked, but why act like the UNC game didn't happen? Is this one of those things where if we look great, it's because our opponent screwed up, but if we look bad, it's all on us?

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
OL needs 4 years to show progress, Key gets that time I hope. Red zone offense is not good. Have to threaten the end zone, most plays did not even do that. And NO FADES!!!!

Looks like offense is designed on something cool OC saw on TV. No cohesion.

No identity still. To many good RBs to have nothing. Also, sims HAS to throw with more authority. Step into throws. To much flat/back foot tosses
We're in year 3 and they brought in a good number of transfers to bolster the line, guys who have already played a ton in the SEC
We should be seeing some improvement, some semblance of it being a strength or at least not a liability. And we're into year 3 of bringing back the tight end into the offense and frankly, they have been as ignored as the girl with glasses and braces at the middle school dance.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Clemson is still ranked at 25, I believe. Pitt will be ranked at some point.
Clemson is out of the top 25. BC had a chance to beat them Saturday night. A really good chance.
Pitt needs to keep winning. That loss, at home, to Western Michigan is ... well, not good.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Those that say we're on the wrong path, besides firing Collins what would you change ? Are you willing to open up your wallets to make said changes. ?

Those that say the offense is bad, how can you say that after seeing the UNC.game ? We still scored 21 yesterday.
On the flip side we saw a great D at UNC but flopped bad yesterday

I'm frustrated but am tired of people complain and offer no reasonable solutions that are within the scope of GTs limits.
I'm willing to give Collins another year to get this figured out, but pressure needs to be put on him to see results.
It does not matter as he is not going anywhere for at least another year and probably two years. We cannot afford the buyout besides he could easily turn this thing around or drive it into the ditch but its his program so let him finish the drill. Coach Ross suffered one of the most humiliating defeats in history at Wallace Wade Stadium when Duke ran us out off the field and our players just flat out quit. Even so, the program rose from the ashes of that debacle and won the fourth national championship in its storied history putting Bobby Ross along side Dodd, Alexander and Heisman. It can happen just that quick.
It’s not Collins the CEO. It’s Collins the guy who doesn’t want to get rid of his friend Patenaude. And if Collins truly believes handing the ball off 6 yards behind this OLine is the best game plan we have then he and his friend will be gone. I want Collins to stay but he has to humble himself and hire an OC with a track record. You scheme to your strengths. GT has not been doing that. Yesterday, the plays that worked were the swing passes, quick passes to space, or Sims just running. But Patenaude and Collins were still handing it off down 3-4 scores in the 3rd quarter. I sat behind Pitt‘s bench and I’ve never seen a staff give each other so many low fives during a game. It’s as if they were laughing at our stupidity. After that 4th and goal debacle they were laughing at us. They were even shocked of our play calls.
I don't really blame them. Right now, we don't look like a competent football team. It should not take the better part of three years to at least be competitive when you have access to this much talent.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Sewak was terrible. CPJ kept him around because he was good friends with him. Key is bad, but Sewak's tenure was really bad
Everybody dumps on Sewak, but was he really all that bad? He had to coach the OL very differently because of the offense Paul ran. Didn't we run for a gazillion yards while he was here?

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s not Collins the CEO. It’s Collins the guy who doesn’t want to get rid of his friend Patenaude. And if Collins truly believes handing the ball off 6 yards behind this OLine is the best game plan we have then he and his friend will be gone. I want Collins to stay but he has to humble himself and hire an OC with a track record. You scheme to your strengths. GT has not been doing that. Yesterday, the plays that worked were the swing passes, quick passes to space, or Sims just running. But Patenaude and Collins were still handing it off down 3-4 scores in the 3rd quarter. I sat behind Pitt‘s bench and I’ve never seen a staff give each other so many low fives during a game. It’s as if they were laughing at our stupidity. After that 4th and goal debacle they were laughing at us. They were even shocked of our play calls.

+1. From the playcalling, I told my GF that "it looks like we've given up and are just trying to get some reps for guys", and that was in the 3rd qtr. It was reminiscent of CPJ's last year, when we were down 21 pts in the 4th qtr with under 10 mins to go and death-marching.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Everybody dumps on Sewak, but was he really all that bad? He had to coach the OL very differently because of the offense Paul ran. Didn't we run for a gazillion yards while he was here?

I recall fans here and elsewhere giving Sewak plenty of criticism but I always thought he was simply coaching what CPJ told him to do. I always thought that was why Sewak was never fired...because he was coaching the OL exactly how CPJ wanted it coached.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Those that say we're on the wrong path, besides firing Collins what would you change ? Are you willing to open up your wallets to make said changes. ?

Those that say the offense is bad, how can you say that after seeing the UNC.game ? We still scored 21 yesterday.
On the flip side we saw a great D at UNC but flopped bad yesterday

I'm frustrated but am tired of people complain and offer no reasonable solutions that are within the scope of GTs limits.
I'm willing to give Collins another year to get this figured out, but pressure needs to be put on him to see results.
This one is easy. Let Collins have another year, fire him, and hire Dave Clawson. Problem solved. Provided, that is, that nobody has lured Clawson away from Wake by then. Unfortunately …

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
This one is easy. Let Collins have another year, fire him, and hire Dave Clawson. Problem solved. Provided, that is, that nobody has lured Clawson away from Wake by then. Unfortunately …
You know Clawson went 3-9 his first 2 years at Wake, right? Sound familiar? He also is 45-45 since he’s been there.

He was 32-31 at Bowling Green before that.

He did have a nice sting at Richmond where he went 29-20. He was 18-17 going into his last year there though.

Before that he was 29-29 at Fordham.

Now whether he’s a great coach or not, I honestly can’t tell you. He’s having a good year this year and has been fine at awake, but he’s essentially a .500 coach.

To suggest he’s some savant and head and shoulders better than Collins seems a bit strange though. At the same point in there career, there’s not much difference from a record standpoint.

You also think Gibbs should be a WR so I’m guessing we just don’t see things the same way.