The morning after

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
This loss is another gut punch. It looks like CGC teams gives up when they shoot themselves in the foot early in the game. I don't even know what to make of the defense.

Sims is dynamic runner and occasionally hits a wide open receiver, but I'm really not sure if he's going to develop into a good D1 QB with this staff. The turnovers are lethal and are still a big problem. The OL is still a problem.

The play calling is puzzling, both O and D. It's one thing to lose this game at home at Pitt, but to get blown out like this is demoralizing. It completely overshadows whatever positives I saw from the first few weeks.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Right now, we don't loo It should not take the better part of three years to at least be competitive when you have access to this much talent.
come on people!! Yes. It should take three years. The cupboard was bare. It takes senior OL and DL to win in this league and every League. Our transfers are good but not great. I and others put them on a pedestal but they haven’t performed…

vaipulu played and got BURNT on the first two possessions leading to picks. One being a pick six. That’s NOT COACHING. Both plays would’ve been huge pickups….

YES Pitt was better than us, and thank god pickett is now gone, but once we we were down, we were chasing all game.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m so exhausted at this point honestly. Last night I truly contemplated just removing myself from football. It ruins my mood. It honestly does. It’s so stupid, I know. But I can’t help but allow myself to get emotionally invested in these games.

But honestly, I can’t help but just confirm with myself that our coaches our booty. Not all of them, but the majority. I don’t know what it will take to get us back to being decent or when that will even be. It’s not my job.

My job is being a fan but I don’t know how much more I can take. I wait 8 months just to be disappointed and watch seemingly the same games happen over and over again.

I’ll always pull for our boys but good lord. It’s getting to be pretty taxing.
I've had the same thoughts but I have made the decision awhile back to not care so much about Tech football, as in don't invest so much emotional energy into it b/c it will only wear you out. If they win great. If they lose, yeah it sucks but as someone once said, "it's a game dawg." No really, it's just a football game. It's entertainment. It's not bringing world peace or ending world hunger. It's just a game dawg.

Honestly, I'm more invested in the GT volleyball team. I'll tell ya, they are so fun to watch. Football team, not so much.

slugboy

Staff member
Pretty sure you or I would look like a genius if we were coaching a bunch of 5-star OL.

But there is a legit concern that the talent we have is just stagnating. No one seems to be improving.
Different athletes come with different challenges. A 5* will probably expect 5* coaching, or close to it. Otherwise, top programs would just hire anybody, and they don’t

GTBlaze

Banned
There are not many things I hate worse than waking up Sunday morning after a loss. Slowly, the memory of Saturday’s game seeps in to my consciousness and I realize it was not just a bad nightmare. Getting up, having breakfast and getting for church while faking a good mood with the family is a chore.

I have had that experience way too many times the past few years. I would not feel so bad today if we had gotten beaten by Pitt, but why does this coaching staff have so many games where the team just gets behind and falls apart and never adjusts? Last year I can excuse the blowouts (like Clemson where we inexplicably kept running the hurry up offsense giving our defense no time to rest) based on the new staff and youth. At this point, we cannot lose 52-21 at home against another ACC team. Pitt is good but they are a top 10 team. I have not looked at the record books and may be wrong, but it seems like this staff has already had more blowout losses of 30 points or more than other staffs over the years. I will keep buying my seating tickets but this is getting old.

Losing a game at home really isn’t saying much. BDS is like a high school jamboree game to the opposing team

slugboy

Staff member
I’m not a big believer in “momentum”, but I was thinking the first two interceptions were big because they gave Pitt a 14 point cushion and let their defense pin their ears back and go really aggressively against an offensive line with a couple of backups in. It turns out, those two plays were statistically the most consequential in the entire game:
7B0DCE64-DCA6-4B64-889D-B9D95AAB6F2C.jpeg

Not surprisingly, they were all over our backfield all day, and we were hardly in theirs, and that’s really the story of the game. There was a time in the first half that we could have clawed our way back in the game, but when they hit 28 points in the first half, the game was in horrible shape.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m not a big believer in “momentum”, but I was thinking the first two interceptions were big because they gave Pitt a 14 point cushion and let their defense pin their ears back and go really aggressively against an offensive line with a couple of backups in. It turns out, those two plays were statistically the most consequential in the entire game:
View attachment 11320

Not surprisingly, they were all over our backfield all day, and we were hardly in theirs, and that’s really the story of the game. There was a time in the first half that we could have clawed our way back in the game, but when they hit 28 points in the first half, the game was in horrible shape.
I was sailing in a regatta in the morning, but taped the game. Got home in a great mood around 4:30, very excited to watch. Turned in on; saw our first two passes completed to the other team for a quick deficit of 14 points. Muttered about the offensive line and our turnover machine at quarterback and turned it off with my good mood ruined. I don't mind losing if we play well and are competitive, but giving the game away in the first 5 or 6 minutes is just inexcusable. It is really, really hard to be a Georgia Tech fan these days.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I was sailing in a regatta in the morning, but taped the game. Got home in a great mood around 4:30, very excited to watch. Turned in on; saw our first two passes completed to the other team for a quick deficit of 14 points. Muttered about the offensive line and our turnover machine at quarterback and turned it off with my good mood ruined. I don't mind losing if we play well and are competitive, but giving the game away in the first 5 or 6 minutes is just inexcusable. It is really, really hard to be a Georgia Tech fan these days.
The interceptions were mostly on the OL. Sims played well in this game, especially considering the withering rush he was up against.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
SandySprings, your morning scene is me exactly. And the fact that we are in the third year of this makes it that much worse. I will add that I was for bringing in a PJ disciple, not a coach with a new offense. But I have seen some things this year that lead me to believe that if I can remain patient, this is going to work out.

Collins was brought in because it was believed he could increase the talent level. If you look at our backs, receivers, slot receivers, and the quarterbacks, I think he has. These guys all have big play speed. And they should be around a while. If he got those, he should be able to add to them in years to come. When Sims thew the high arching touchdown pass Saturday, that completed the deal for me. Before he always tried to make that throw too flat. He can run well and make all the throws. He just needs to keep growing, but we can win at a high level with him.

We were missing some starting offensive linemen. Just okay offensive line performance would have meant a very different game. The early turnovers probably wouldn't have happened. Our inability to punch in touchdowns or short yardage first downs was because in those situations you must get some push from your line, and we couldn't.

Someone who posts on the HIve as 57something pointed out that most of Key's line recruits are freshmen. I looked at the whole team's class standings on the above the line for Pitt. The ratio of freshmen to seniors across the board is amazing, but especially on both lines.

Saturday was pretty awful, but I have seen enough good play calls both defensively and offensively to think our coordinators are not idiots. Let us hope that Collins and the coordinators are learning and growing too.

I have no answer for the defense, other than to say we saw them play well just two weeks ago.

It has been made clear that our budget is not going to allow for a coaching change any time soon. Besides, I don't want to see the chaos of another complete turnover with three more years of a new staff
with no guarantee that the new staff will be better. Kim King said that the greatest factor in college football success is coaching continuity.

Let's let the season play out. Maybe there will be more UNCs and fewer Pitts in our future.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
The interceptions were mostly on the OL. Sims played well in this game, especially considering the withering rush he was up against.
In this case, you might be correct, but the stats suggest that when Sims starts the game, GT turns the ball over a lot (and IMO, usually at the most inopportune time). Look, I like Sims; he has great talent. However, if we as a team turn the ball over 2-3 times in the games that he starts, we can't win. We are not good enough to play from behind after spotting the other team points. The team has to take care of the ball and it starts with the QB setting the example and demanding accountability across the board.

Like many other folks on here, I have issues with the play calling. After the interceptions, did we even try to leak a TE, or slip a running back out for a pass over the middle behind the 6 or 7 rushers? I watched some more of the game yesterday and it seems that we took any plays of that nature, that might have slowed down the rush, out of the play book. I am just frustrated and venting....don't mind me.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
In this case, you might be correct, but the stats suggest that when Sims starts the game, GT turns the ball over a lot (and IMO, usually at the most inopportune time). Look, I like Sims; he has great talent. However, if we as a team turn the ball over 2-3 times in the games that he starts, we can't win. We are not good enough to play from behind after spotting the other team points. The team has to take care of the ball and it starts with the QB setting the example and demanding accountability across the board.

Like many other folks on here, I have issues with the play calling. After the interceptions, did we even try to leak a TE, or slip a running back out for a pass over the middle behind the 6 or 7 rushers? I watched some more of the game yesterday and it seems that we took any plays of that nature, that might have slowed down the rush, out of the play book. I am just frustrated and venting....don't mind me.
I would mention this... if you look at the interceptions they tend to be over the line where they get tipped or caught in traffic.

Not sure why CDP hasn't tried to get around this tendency with WR screens, passes to the flat, and out routes..

Wait, I know why... CDP intends to "mix" it up as his advantage.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure why CDP hasn't tried to get around this tendency with WR screens, passes to the flat, and out routes..

Wait, I know why... CDP intends to "mix" it up as his advantage.
He did that a TON. What are you talking about? That was a huge part of how Sims was able to go 24/33 for 359 yards.

In a loss like that there's certainly things to criticize but you are just making things up.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
After UNC the fans had us winning the Coastal. Now they’re back to firing Collins.
The fans from week to week are comical.
Yeah I pointed this out last week. But the frustration is warranted. I’m not sure you could have scripted a much worse follow up to the first big win (which may not be that big when we look back at the end of the year)