The Lists

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Correct me if I'm wrong, we won't announce our new coach if his team is still playing in the NCAA tourney or NIT, correct? That means if it's Bryce Drew, we won't be hearing about this until after ValPo is out of the NIT or until after they've won it. On the other hand, if it's Mack, Marshall or Miller we might hear it soon as Xavier, Wichita State and Dayton are already out.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I firmly believe that Mack, Miller, & Marshall are not feasible for a variety of reasons that aren't worth recounting. I also think we shouldn't hire Price (should prove himself now that he's a head coach) or Neal (mediocre record so far). With that...

Swing for the fences/Is he ready for a new challenge?:
Thad Matta

Top realistic candidates:
Jeff Capel (dook asst)
Will Wade (VCU)
Kevin Keatts (UNCW)
Bryce Drew (Valpo)
Chris Holtmann (Butler)

Dark Horse/Up & Comer candidates:
Matt McCall (UTC)
Joe Dooley (FGCU)
Steve Forbes (ETSU)
Matt Driscoll (UNF)
Pat Kelsey (Winthrop)
Mike Morrell (Texas assistant)

Maybe/Maybe Not (These aren't necessarily realistic, but is there mutual interest? Would they move?)
Andy Enfield (USCw)
Mike Lonergan (GW)
Tommy Amaker (Harvard)
Kevin Stallings (Vandy)
Ed Cooley (Providence)
Steve Prohm (Iowa State)
Cuonzo Martin (Cal)
Tom Crean (Indiana)
Matt Painter (Purdue)

I don't have any real scoop on who I think the candidate is & I'm making this list up off the cuff from what I've seen in the ether, as well as good coaches I think would be a good fit.

Anyone I've got in the "realistic" bucket, I'd be fine with, although some might excite me more than others.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't follow college basketball as closely as most of you, so I don't have the depth of knowledge of which names outside the big ones (Marshall, Mack, Few, etc.) that haven't made the P5 jump are good. Given our history (sans CBG), our target is probably a mid-tier non-P5 coach who's considered up and coming (Like Cremins at App State and Hewitt at Sienna).

That said, instead of naming names, here are the things I want from our next coach:

1. The ability to make GT the dominant college bball program in GA in terms of recruiting.
There was a time when GT bball recruiting was what UGA is in football recruiting. The best in-state kids wanted to come here, and those we didn't offer held it against us the rest of their careers. I still believe the in-state kids want to come here, GT just hasn't given them a good reason to. Once upon a time, you couldn't recruit a kid in GA without GT being a serious contender for them. Not to sound arrogant about GT, but recruits in this state should be ours to lose.

2. Ability to pull select recruits nationally.
John Salley. Kenny Anderson. Stephon Marbury. Travis Best. Chris Bosh. Jarrett Jack. Thaddeus Young. GT does not lack for recruiting select players on a national level. We're never going to be a Kentucky/Duke/UNC where we have waves of 5 star players every year. We can get 1-2 top 10 type players every 2-3 years though.

3. Ability to develop players.
As important as top tier recruiting is, developing players is the foundation of a program. When those top tier recruits move on to the NBA (and that is a good thing for a program) the guys that are JRs and SRs that have been with a program are the ones that will keep our programs strong in the long run.

4. Coaching fundamentals.
Man, I can't tell you how many times in the past (not as bad in the CBG era) where simple things like inbounding the ball, helping the ball handler out in a trap, or a simple box out would do us in. Those things should be basic at this level...yet, somehow those were the things that did us in. I can understand losing because the other team is just flat out more talented, but we should never lose because we can't execute the basic basketball fundamentals.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I firmly believe that Mack, Miller, & Marshall are not feasible for a variety of reasons that aren't worth recounting.

Are these like the arguments for why firing gregory wasn't feasible that weren't worth recounting? I kid, I kid, but kinda.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Are these like the arguments for why firing gregory wasn't feasible that weren't worth recounting? I kid, I kid, but kinda.

Reasons why firing BG wasn't feasible included lack of funds & questions around MBob sacking up. Proved me wrong on sacking up & may have the funds for better than I'd hoped, but I don't see him scraping the $3.5Mil-$4Mil/year needed to attract one of the 3 Big M's.

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Reasons why firing BG wasn't feasible included lack of funds & questions around MBob sacking up. Proved me wrong on sacking up & may have the funds for better than I'd hoped, but I don't see him scraping the $3.5Mil-$4Mil/year needed to attract one of the 3 Big M's.

You think it would take that much for Mack or Miller? Marshall for sure.

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
All I keep hearing from Dayton fans is that they love Archie and Archie is in love with them-the perfect relationship. With Dayton becoming one of the better mid-majors in the country, first round exits like this year's won't be acceptable a few years down the road. Unfortunately, I think it's too early for him to want to move. Believe he just a got a deal that goes through 2023.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You think it would take that much for Mack or Miller? Marshall for sure.

I think Mack has no reason to leave. Makes a ton, coaches his alma mater in his hometown, is successful with tons of talent in house already.

As good as I think our job has the potential to be, I think Miller will be positioned long term for either NC State or an elite program (Indiana, UNC, etc.) as it turns over. He also just signed another extension with a raise. Unlike VCU fans who thought Shaka would never leave, I think Dayton fans realize Archie will leave at some point, but it'll be for one of the best jobs in the country.

In either case, a contract at least on par with Shaka Smart's will be required, so you're looking at more than $3Mil/year.

I'm not saying you don't reach out to these guys. I'm just saying be prepared for them to say no.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The thing about these "extensions" is that all of them have outs. Some are if specific teams come calling, some are if the next level comes calling and some are if certain leagues come calling. I could see these highly successful mid-major coaches clausing that the ACC is an out.

That being said, I started to really think about GT as a destination for one of these highly successful mid-major coaches (or successful non-ACC, mid-level P-5 team coaches). GT is smack in the middle of one of the most fertile AAU/HS basketball areas in the country. It's a quiet campus nestled in an urban environment, GT has a rich history of success in the past 30 years (although we've been down for the past 7-8 years), there are well-known basketball alum that the kids know, we have a new facility, including practice facility, we play in the ACC (where these guys get to compete against the best coaches every game), etc.

Although we've been down, there is still much about GT that is potentially attractive to a successful mid-major coach who is looking for that next challenge.

(edit: this post was not in reponse to the previous post)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The thing about these "extensions" is that all of them have outs. Some are if specific teams come calling, some are if the next level comes calling and some are if certain leagues come calling. I could see these highly successful mid-major coaches clausing that the ACC is an out.

That being said, I started to really think about GT as a destination for one of these highly successful mid-major coaches (or successful non-ACC, mid-level P-5 team coaches). GT is smack in the middle of one of the most fertile AAU/HS basketball areas in the country. It's a quiet campus nestled in an urban environment, GT has a rich history of success in the past 30 years (although we've been down for the past 7-8 years), there are well-known basketball alum that the kids know, we have a new facility, including practice facility, we play in the ACC (where these guys get to compete against the best coaches every game), etc.

Although we've been down, there is still much about GT that is potentially attractive to a successful mid-major coach who is looking for that next challenge.

(edit: this post was not in reponse to the previous post)

This is a great account of why we have all of the ingredients to have a great program. Add money & the right coach & throw that cake in the oven.

Gtyellowjackets

Jolly Good Fellow
What's sacking up?

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm hearing a lot of people say Jeff Capel as a candidate. Someone sell him to me,because I'm struggling to see a reason to get excited with him?