The Kicking Game

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Missed an extra point also and his warmups were reportedly ugly as well. Something wasn't right with him, obviously. I can't believe we are going back to the conspiracy theory that CGC gave him a scholly he didn't have to, then benched him for no reason.
Did he get injured?

Also how did this turn into CGC VS CPJ?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Haven’t had a kicker since Butker. Not sure what happened to Wells either. Gotta go get a scholarship guy if we want a true freshmen to come in and hit.

Deleted member 2897

Missed an extra point also and his warmups were reportedly ugly as well. Something wasn't right with him, obviously. I can't believe we are going back to the conspiracy theory that CGC gave him a scholly he didn't have to, then benched him for no reason.

No, that’s not what we were saying.

Deleted member 2897

Ah okay. Then I dont know what was being implied. Lol.

I don’t believe anybody accused CGC of benching Wells for no reason, but maybe I missed it.

As we have so painfully seen, kickers are head cases - it’s all about rythym and confidence. My memory tells me (and others have confirmed it) that Wells got out practiced (the whole competition is king thing) and lost his starting job before having kissed a kick. Then they brought him back another game later and the rest is history.

As some have stated, Wells apparently looked bad in practice, like something was wrong (injury?), and in the warmups too. But again, they did bring him back in again later, so if it was an injury it couldn’t have been but so bad. Some of us here just found it odd you’d take a guy who never missed a kick and then take a chance monkeying with that - at least wait for him to miss a kick in a game first.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
This is a legit point, and something I don’t think a lot of people realize how genuine this is. Having a different holder can absolutely throw off a kicker’s rhythm. Every holder obviously has a difference cadence, and if the kicker isn’t completely comfortable knowing the holder will do his job properly it can throw off his timing. Of course, it could’ve had nothing to do with it, but it is something to think about.

Wells with Brad Stewart as his holder was 48-48 on kicks. Without Brad he was 6-8.
Oh, my point was to be taken seriously, but people love to bring up my love for Brad.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Temple 2018: 56 for 56 PAT, 12 of 18 FG (2 misses from 40+ yds)
Temple 2017: 33 for 36 PAT, 19 of 28 FG (5 misses from 40+ yds)

We would take that at this point, as would our current coaches who coached those kickers.

There is a lot of projection as to what happened with Wells once again in this thread. Same goes for FG kicking and our coaches' ability to coach special teams.

Last year I posted multiple times what Wells looked like early in the year in pregame warm-ups. Some probably missed it, and I feel pretty certain that others intentionally ignored it because it didn't confirm their assumptions. Here's the analogy... Wells looked in warm-ups like our 2020 kickers look live. That is, shank city.

My hyper-speculation projection goes the other direction on Wells based on a small amount of inside knowledge and prior evidence. Starting with, Wells was deemed the 2nd or 3rd best kicker by our prior coaching staff for a reason. It wasn't until Brenton King and Shawn Davis failed, both of which already had a prior shaky body of evidence and continued to get the primary opportunities, that Wells got the nod.

Why was Wells behind them? Logically one would assume that Wells did not inspire confidence in practice. What would measurably suggest he did not inspire confidence? Missing FGs. His path to playing time optically appeared as a "I have no other options" and a hope that he'd flip a switch on gameday. And he was lights out.

Now, what are the odds that is sustainable? A kicker who we can logically infer wasn't good in practice but made kicks in games? Maybe he became good in practice after making kicks in games. But if he became good in practice, why did he then become terrible to borderline incapable?

Some of the same folks who claim the coaches broke Wells are the same folks who claim the coaches only blow sunshine up the butts of our players. Everyone is elite, right? What specifically do folks think the coaches did to Wells that broke him? Had him compete against other kickers like the prior regime?

Our new coaching staff didn't break Wells, imo. You don't get to the point of barely getting the ball of the ground, like our current crop, due to coaching (mental nor physical). That type of performance issue starts with the athlete, imo. It reminds me of Chuck Knoblauch, a former All-Star 2nd baseman who late in his career couldn't throw the ball accurately to first base. Sometimes guys get the yips and no amount of mental coaching can get them out of it.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Temple 2018: 56 for 56 PAT, 12 of 18 FG (2 misses from 40+ yds)
Temple 2017: 33 for 36 PAT, 19 of 28 FG (5 misses from 40+ yds)

We would take that at this point, as would our current coaches who coached those kickers.

There is a lot of projection as to what happened with Wells once again in this thread. Same goes for FG kicking and our coaches' ability to coach special teams.

Last year I posted multiple times what Wells looked like early in the year in pregame warm-ups. Some probably missed it, and I feel pretty certain that others intentionally ignored it because it didn't confirm their assumptions. Here's the analogy... Wells looked in warm-ups like our 2020 kickers look live. That is, shank city.

My hyper-speculation projection goes the other direction on Wells based on a small amount of inside knowledge and prior evidence. Starting with, Wells was deemed the 2nd or 3rd best kicker by our prior coaching staff for a reason. It wasn't until Brenton King and Shawn Davis failed, both of which already had a prior shaky body of evidence and continued to get the primary opportunities, that Wells got the nod.

Why was Wells behind them? Logically one would assume that Wells did not inspire confidence in practice. What would measurably suggest he did not inspire confidence? Missing FGs. His path to playing time optically appeared as a "I have no other options" and a hope that he'd flip a switch on gameday. And he was lights out.

Now, what are the odds that is sustainable? A kicker who we can logically infer wasn't good in practice but made kicks in games? Maybe he became good in practice after making kicks in games. But if he became good in practice, why did he then become terrible to borderline incapable?

Some of the same folks who claim the coaches broke Wells are the same folks who claim the coaches only blow sunshine up the butts of our players. Everyone is elite, right? What specifically do folks think the coaches did to Wells that broke him? Had him compete against other kickers like the prior regime?

Our new coaching staff didn't break Wells, imo. You don't get to the point of barely getting the ball of the ground, like our current crop, due to coaching (mental nor physical). That type of performance issue starts with the athlete, imo. It reminds me of Chuck Knoblauch, a former All-Star 2nd baseman who late in his career couldn't throw the ball accurately to first base. Sometimes guys get the yips and no amount of mental coaching can get them out of it.

You’re making too much sense.

JacketMicMan

Georgia Tech Fan
Looks like he started the better part of 2 seasons, then got beat out. He is no Butker, but better than we have had since, outside of Wells' one big year
He missed a kick at Auburn last year and never saw the field again. Competition is king. He committed to us and we had the best Punter and Kicker in the class Percy maintained his commitment; Joseph flipped to Alabama two days before signing day (reminiscences to Dalvin T)