The Kicking Game

Deleted member 2897

Who is GT’s kicking coach??

This guy:
giphy.gif

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech has made 5 FGs between 4 kickers in the Collins era. (15 games). NCAA leader has 7 through 3 games so far.

This has to get better. It's so bad that the team has to fake a PAT by trying to run with the punter.
5 successful FGs in 15 games is beyond embarrassing. How many have been attempted over that span?

Deleted member 2897

5 successful FGs in 15 games is beyond embarrassing. How many have been attempted over that span?

As far as I can see, we were 3 for 8 FG last year and are 1 for 5 this year for a grand total of 4 out of 13. But that only tells part of the story. There's no easy way to go back and remember how many times we didn't attempt a kick because we had no confidence in our kicker (like the Harvin fake PAT and going for it on 4th downs when we didn't have to).

alagold

Helluva Engineer
As far as I can see, we were 3 for 8 FG last year and are 1 for 5 this year for a grand total of 4 out of 13. But that only tells part of the story. There's no easy way to go back and remember how many times we didn't attempt a kick because we had no confidence in our kicker (like the Harvin fake PAT and going for it on 4th downs when we didn't have to).

How about our 255 lb punter trying to run for 1st down? that is amazing!

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Our PKs are choking. Plain & simple. Watch every FG replay. Almost every time, the PK's foot is slamming into the ground a good 6" behind the ball, which causes the foot to skip off the ground and slam into the ball halfway up, rather than at the bottom. This results in the ball being kicked 5' right into the backside of our OL or into the chests of the DST trying to block the kick.

It's honestly pathetic that it keeps happening. I'm sure this is not the technique they're being coached to do. I'm also sure they are NOT doing this in practice this frequently.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
That's quite a few kickers. I am assuming both Haire and Verdisco are hurt? Gandis, I have no idea and have never seen evidence he exists.

At the UCF pregame I saw 4 kickers dressed out kicking pregame. Kent left after a few to warm up for kick offs.

Kelly
Kent
Gandis
Stewart

Stewart definitely got the ball up quickest but lacked power.
Gandis has the power but hard to tell what it would look like without a line infront of him.
Kelly seemed somewhere in between the two above.

Just my opinion, and I was in the Upper East so hard to tell accuarcy.

Deleted member 2897

Jude is the only guy who has made a FG. He always made good solid contact. He just didn’t get his kicks up high enough. Given that I’m surprised they benched him for someone else who takes huge divots. Maybe they out a 10’ wall I front him at practice and he just bricked every kick off it over and over. It’s pretty pathetic our kicking is worse than high school. If we can kick extra points, it’s ridiculous we can’t kick 25-35 yarders - those are actually easier than extra points.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I'm pretty sure the local homeless guy, down the street, can kick better. I mean seriously, they should do an open door competition. There has to be someone better, than what we have. We don't have a soccer program, to pull from, do we? At this point, make it wide open... Boys, girls, horses, goats....don't care.. Just find someone!
You’d think there would be some nerdy soccer geek squirreled away in the library that would jump at the chance for a $50k scholarship just to kick the damn ball 3-4 times per game. With 35k students I’d say the odds are pretty high.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe Butker will take pity on us and give a few pointers to the crew. It’s a shame we have one of the best kickers in the nfl and we have fallen to this level in about 5 years.

Milwaukee

Banned
Hope this isn’t a dumb question but what’s the story with GT kickers and the number 87? Is there a story behind this or merely coincidence?

Luke Manget
Travis Bell
Harrison Butker

Now Jude Kelley

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Three true freshman are in competition. It’s gonna be tough for awhile, but again freshman, Butker wasn’t great his freshman year.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Three true freshman are in competition. It’s gonna be tough for awhile, but again freshman, Butker wasn’t great his freshman year.
I’d have to review the game tape but I’m not sure Butker hit our own team kicking ball which seems to be fashionable this year. Secondly, if kickers get better with age why in the hell did we screw with our kicker last year then run him off? None of this makes sense to me. Just nuts.