The Kicking Game

Scubapro

Banned
Yep, had never missed a kick - was the most accurate kicker in the entire ACC in 2018, then we benched him. 👨‍🎨
If I remember correctly there were some folks questioning Geoff's special teams acumen for canning Wells. I think it's safe to say this regime might need to eat their Wheaties in regards to special teams.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
We need to be looking for a soccer goalie. Soccer (real football;)) was what I played and I remember pretty much all the goalies could kick far, but even more importantly, they could kick it up. The problem, I suspect, is the kickers we have don't have much range unless they are line drives. I bet there are plenty of soccer players in highschool who would love a preferred walk on situation. Hell I was going to try out for kicker at Tech just to get earlier class selection, but I literally broke my wrist (playing indoor soccer) before each tryout (my last two years at tech). I had a weird rod on the outside of my arm connected to pins that came out of the bone and skin so I was not cleared to do much.

Anyways, the staff needs to look at local highschool soccer team goalies on these recruiting trips.

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I am never going to understand what happened with Wesley Wells. The guy was perfect on FGs and XPs his first season, and basically not used the second season save for one field goal attempt and some XPs which he made 6/7. Anyone want to take that percentage on XPs right now?

I get that coaches go off practice, but I know what I saw in real games. King was what we saw for his entire career...inconsistent. I am not sure what the coaches saw in practice, but to only give Wells one FG attempt last year was beyond mind boggling. Now we're struggling to even make XPs. Athletes have a bad spell, but they don't just fall off the map barring injury or other issues. Wesley wasn't really given the opportunity to even get on the map.

If coaches can swallow their pride, Wells is still at GT for another 2 season...he's just a normal student now.
If Wells could produce those stats in practice, he would still be kicking,. He's not.
Remember the kicker at FSU? Best college stats ever. A bust at the next level. It happens alot.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
If Wells could produce those stats in practice, he would still be kicking,. He's not.
Remember the kicker at FSU? Best college stats ever. A bust at the next level. It happens alot.

We can say what we want about practices we weren't privy to, but all I know is king missed multiple kicks in actual games. Wells misses one and doesn't get another shot. Seems like one guy had a certain leash and the other another.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
If I remember correctly there were some folks questioning Geoff's special teams acumen for canning Wells. I think it's safe to say this regime might need to eat their Wheaties in regards to special teams.

This kicking problem is WAY beyond ridiculous now.They demote an almost perfect kicker last yr for a guy who couldn't (didn't) kick straight.Its gets worse.They let go both and now have a pair that can't even get a kick past the LOS much (it would help a lot if the blocking was decent)..Teams go YEARS with no blocked placements! Alert Ripley's.

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We can say what we want about practices we weren't privy to, but all I know is king missed multiple kicks in actual games. Wells misses one and doesn't get another shot. Seems like one guy had a certain leash and the other another.

Only if you have an agenda. You were not at practice and have no idea about the kickers performance.

My initial thoughts on this years kickers is that we had no spring practice and limited summer practices to develop the snapper/holder/kickers timing and the blocking assignments. They need alot of reps.

Deleted member 2897

Didn’t we actually bench Wells one game BEFORE he ever missed, and he missed his first kick once he was put back in the lineup?

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Only if you have an agenda. You were not at practice and have no idea about the kickers performance.

My initial thoughts on this years kickers is that we had no spring practice and limited summer practices to develop the snapper/holder/kickers timing and the blocking assignments. They need alot of reps.

And neither were you.

You don't have to "have an agenda" to find that fishy.
Y'all literally try and make everything about coach vs. coach.

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
Last year, I was wondering as well. But watching before the game and at half you could see he (Wells) wasn’t the same either in accuracy or power. I don’t know why - and don’t want to speculate what it was if anything, but something appeared (emphasize appeared) to have changed. Enough visible difference to me that I felt bad for him as he was clearly giving it his all. I’m glad he stuck it out in school and wish him all the best, and am glad he was successful early on.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Y

You cant criticize Collins or his staff without some dude saying: "Chill, PJ aint coming back." or some other stupid **** like that.
Except literally nobody said anything about coach vs. coach or “PJ ain’t coming back” until you 2 brought it up. The original point is that we weren’t at practice and don’t know what happened. That has nothing to do with PJ or Collins vs. PJ.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Except literally nobody said anything about coach vs. coach or “PJ ain’t coming back” until you 2 brought it up. The original point is that we weren’t at practice and don’t know what happened. That has nothing to do with PJ or Collins vs. PJ.

Lol...come on now, we all know what he meant by agenda. Don't play dumb.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Lol...come on now, we all know what he meant by agenda. Don't play dumb.
You’re the one that said it was “fishy.” You’re the one that insinuated King had a longer leash than Wells without seeing either of them practice. Him saying the word agenda doesn’t give your words anymore context.

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Exactly what I said. Nobody was at practice to observe the kickers performance.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The holder in 2018 was a stud...;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
This is a legit point, and something I don’t think a lot of people realize how genuine this is. Having a different holder can absolutely throw off a kicker’s rhythm. Every holder obviously has a difference cadence, and if the kicker isn’t completely comfortable knowing the holder will do his job properly it can throw off his timing. Of course, it could’ve had nothing to do with it, but it is something to think about.

Wells with Brad Stewart as his holder was 48-48 on kicks. Without Brad he was 6-8.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t we actually bench Wells one game BEFORE he ever missed, and he missed his first kick once he was put back in the lineup?

Missed an extra point also and his warmups were reportedly ugly as well. Something wasn't right with him, obviously. I can't believe we are going back to the conspiracy theory that CGC gave him a scholly he didn't have to, then benched him for no reason.