The Handshake

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I guess you missed the part of the game where pit player was laying on top of Carpenter and their coaches barking at our players on the sideline or when Sims was driven into the ground after Pitt received numerous roughing the passer calls?
No I watched the game, and saw it all, but I do see a difference between a post game interaction, and one during the game.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah Pitt players were constantly in our guys' faces after they either broke up a pass or got the free flags from the refs.
In case you haven’t noticed this is what our defensive players have been doing all season long as well. At least Pitt was winning and won. Our guys were doing this down 50 to Clemson’s 3rd string. Good players don’t have to act. The only good DB we have that gets significant time is Walton.

Captn_65

GT Athlete
I’m sure the players don’t care they prob love Collins even more for it.
Exactly.... From a player's point, the problem would be if he didn't do this. He should have just waved at Narduzzi and headed straight for the officials. The obvious bad calls happened last week with NC State too. How long is this crap going to happen ? Both games were winnable with a fair officiating .
Too much effort and preparation goes into a game to have it taken away by incompetent officials. This blatant problem doesn't happen in the SEC. The ACC has some serious problem that needs to be fixed.
Collins actions showed that he had the player's back. I loved his throwing the head set and his charge into the field. Now it's up to the AD to straighten out the ACC and treat all members fairly.
There would have been a problem in the locker room if he had acted in any different way.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Genuinely curious:
- What did you see?
- How do you feel about it?

Looking for all the body language experts and mind readers to chime in here (which is obviously all of us on the internet).

"The Handshake Heard Around the ACC" Two things I noticed was that Coach Collins would not even look at Pat and secondly Pat tried to hold his hand and talk to him anyway. He was yelling after Collins when they parted.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I have to agree.You don’t give up 500+ yards to the 14th ranked offensive team in the conference, and 200+ yards to a running back, and whine about the refs. He probably won’t say it, but I think he was embarrassed. He should have been.
The officiating was very poor but they had a running back whose season high of 69 yards was eclipsed in just one run and rushed for well over 200 yards. They had over 500 yards total offense. We just got beat that's all there is to it.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I had the distinct impression Collins could have cared less about the post game handshake and wanted to go after the refs.

Why would Collins have any particular dislike for Narduzzi? Isn't this the first time their paths have crossed? I believe Collins when he said he was focused on his team and not on Narduzzi.
Well you see Narduzzi is one of those guys you only have to meet once to dislike him. Just the way he is.

Deleted member 2897

Exactly.... From a player's point, the problem would be if he didn't do this. He should have just waved at Narduzzi and headed straight for the officials. The obvious bad calls happened last week with NC State too. How long is this crap going to happen ? Both games were winnable with a fair officiating .
Too much effort and preparation goes into a game to have it taken away by incompetent officials. This blatant problem doesn't happen in the SEC. The ACC has some serious problem that needs to be fixed.
Collins actions showed that he had the player's back. I loved his throwing the head set and his charge into the field. Now it's up to the AD to straighten out the ACC and treat all members fairly.
There would have been a problem in the locker room if he had acted in any different way.

AMEN, 100%, HALLELUJAH.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
One thing I think Collins has got to get control of is calming his players down when things go sideways whether its us, the other team’s actions or terrible refs and quit making stupid penalties or doing extra things that give the refs extra incentive to find a reason to flag us, it will cost us games in the future when our team is hopefully much better if they don’t get some team discipline. We don’t want to be the Raiders of the ACC

Tadams6599

Jolly Good Fellow
The officiating was very poor but they had a running back whose season high of 69 yards was eclipsed in just one run and rushed for well over 200 yards. They had over 500 yards total offense. We just got beat that's all there is to it.
Not to make excuses, but to point out the obvious basically our whole Dline was decimated. We played with a roster of like 50 something players and still didn’t pull an FSU and bail

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
One thing I think Collins has got to get control of is calming his players down when things go sideways whether its us, the other team’s actions or terrible refs and quit making stupid penalties or doing extra things that give the refs extra incentive to find a reason to flag us, it will cost us games in the future when our team is hopefully much better if they don’t get some team discipline. We don’t want to be the Raiders of the ACC
Or the Miami Hurricanes of the ACC…hey, wait a minute-

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Collins is passive aggressive. Instead of laying into refs or his players, he pulls a childish stunt. The guy needs to man up, stop being a p**sy and get into people's faces. That was embarrassing to the team, the program, the fans and himself. Sorry to be blunt... But, instead and throwing a temper tantrum, try learning how to coach and manage a football game.

I believe you are right about his being PA. That will not work long term. Maybe, we don't see his more "direct" approach he uses with guys and other coaches in practice, film sessions, one on one discussions, etc., but from what I have seen, I don't think he enjoys direct conflict. Most people do not, but it is kind of a given for a HC. We will see - although I believe you may be right, I cannot be sure.

All I want from him is to be as direct about his "tough love" as he is with his "easy love".

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow
Refs sucked big time but not the reason we lost the game. Look at the stats and you'll see Pitt actually dominated us in almost every way including 513 vs 348 yards, 3 turnovers vs 1, Time of possession, you pick... Pitt's last drive where they just ran the ball straight up the middle w/6 mins remaining for the clinching TD when everyone knew that's what they would try to do clearly showed they were winning at the line of scrimmage...and the better team. However, I loved seeing the fight in our team with the comeback. If we were good enough to stop that last Pitt drive, turn the ball back to our offense and score then we come out on top. IMO, positive signs of progress we may be good enough next season to flip a game like this. But not this season...

And while the officiating was maddening, CGC shouldn't have acted like that with the handshake - very bad look the Mother's of all those GT recruits won't appreciate - and right before early signing day next week... Don't like the external impression - great to be passionate but that look doesn't help recruiting... Absolutely supplying negative ammo for our competition for the recruiting wars...
Of course, the stat line is never influenced by officiating....you know things like extra possessions or possessions that continued due to bad calls