The Handshake

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm not saying you're incorrect in what you said, but you know as well as I that this comment is going to turn this thread into a CPJ/CGC argument that has corrupted many other threads. Besides, you didn't point out a fact. You stated an opinion about what might have happened. Your truth isn't necessarily someone else's truth, and yes, I think you made the comment to troll those that you're describing.
It's a fact and although many will deny it, most everybody knows it. I'm just telling them something about themselves that they already know, if they would just admit it.

I'm not in the CPJ vs Collins debate. I like some things about both coaches, and don't like others. If others have felt themselves pressed into either camp, that's their problem.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
It's a fact and although many will deny it, most everybody knows it. I'm just telling them something about themselves that they already know, if they would just admit it.

I'm not in the CPJ vs Collins debate. I like some things about both coaches, and don't like others. If others have felt themselves pressed into either camp, that's their problem.
It’s not a fact and it’s not telling me anything about myself. I don’t actually know why we expect coaches to shake hands anyway. In the pros they typically don’t. Besides CGC did shake hands he just didn’t want to talk.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
CGC did shake hands he just didn’t want to talk.
Sometimes I don't really want to talk to my wife, but I do it anyway because of considerations of other things beside what I want at that moment. Whether intended or not, the obvious snub went somewhat viral and was widely reported as seeming unnecessarily petulant and rude. It was bad press, and a bad look. If you don't believe it, just google "gt handshake" and see what you get.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes I don't really want to talk to my wife, but I do it anyway because of considerations of other things beside what I want at that moment. Whether intended or not, the obvious snub went somewhat viral and was widely reported as seeming unnecessarily petulant and rude. It was bad press, and a bad look. If you don't believe it, just google "gt handshake" and see what you get.
My point is it doesn’t matter and has blown over except for this Tech board. Let it go.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have NO problem with what he did. It was a non-issue until Narducci grabbed his hand. That made it look bad. But you go and look at the end of games and many, many times the handshake is perfunctory and done with both coaches moving away from each other and onto more important stuff. Narducci is the asshat in this situation, and he's the one who tried to force the issue. That's on Narducci. Besides, it's a non-issue except for fans that wanted to be butt-hurt about something CGC did.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I have NO problem with what he did. It was a non-issue until Narducci grabbed his hand. That made it look bad. But you go and look at the end of games and many, many times the handshake is perfunctory and done with both coaches moving away from each other and onto more important stuff. Narducci is the asshat in this situation, and he's the one who tried to force the issue. That's on Narducci. Besides, it's a non-issue except for fans that wanted to be butt-hurt about something CGC did.
So it's Narducci's fault. And honestly, would you say that even if the shoe were on the other foot? Just asking.

And by the way, I don't doubt there are some fans who want to "butt-hurt about something CGC did", but that is certainly not so in many cases. It isn't true in my case. Perhaps you shouldn't paint with such a broad brush there when you say "it's a non-issue except for" such fans. As for me, I just call them like I see them. Period. Too often people are forced into one camp or another depending on where they fall on any one issue. I have defended CGC on other points. Can someone not criticize anything he does without being accused of opposing him at every turn? How do you know what is in the mind of someone who simply takes an opposing view? This is exactly what causes people to feel they are being forced into one camp or another, this all-or-nothing attitude.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just out of curiosity I looked back at my recordings of other games this year. Unfortunately, some of the games do not show the coaches midfield handshake. And, I don't have every game. At the NC State game the coaches hardly slowed down as they passed one another with a fist bump. Only at the Louisville & Clemson games did I see a real handshake.

I am not sure what it means since I do not know how well these coaches know one another.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
So it's Narducci's fault. And honestly, would you say that even if the shoe were on the other foot? Just asking.

And by the way, I don't doubt there are some fans who want to "butt-hurt about something CGC did", but that is certainly not so in many cases. It isn't true in my case. Perhaps you shouldn't paint with such a broad brush there when you say "it's a non-issue except for" such fans. As for me, I just call them like I see them. Period. Too often people are forced into one camp or another depending on where they fall on any one issue. I have defended CGC on other points. Can someone not criticize anything he does without being accused of opposing him at every turn? How do you know what is in the mind of someone who simply takes an opposing view? This is exactly what causes people to feel they are being forced into one camp or another, this all-or-nothing attitude.
I'm painting with broad brushes here, as is most everyone else. Absolutely!, Yes!, it's Narducci's fault and he made it worse by standing there looking offended. Had he to do it over, CGC might have chosen to stop and turn around to Narducci when he grabbed hold and wouldn't let go, but the initial drive-by is more common than not. Maybe he wouldn't have, who knows.

Had it had been me, I would have stopped, squeezed hard so it wouldn't slip, and pulled him to me (even if it pulled him off his feet). Once we were eye to eye, I would have warned him to never grab my hand again when I was done with a handshake and pulling away, turned and jogged to my players.

Regardless, too many people are too easily offended nowadays (not focusing on you, as you're just the post I'm responding to). I was just having this conversation with my 12 year-old daughter who has begun taking offense to anything anyone says to her. Just because someone does something that looks unsightly to you doesn't mean they're behaving badly.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Regardless, too many people are too easily offended nowadays (not focusing on you, as you're just the post I'm responding to). I was just having this conversation with my 12 year-old daughter who has begun taking offense to anything anyone says to her. Just because someone does something that looks unsightly to you doesn't mean they're behaving badly.
I think that's true in many cases. I guess you're a good father to have that conversation with your daughter. But when you insinuate that everyone who takes exception to the handshake are "fans that wanted to be butt-hurt about something CGC did", you're sort of doing the same thing. Though it is probably true for some fans, I and I'm sure many fans who take exception to it wish it hadn't happened and want CGC to succeed. That sort of accusation - intentionally or not - takes it from the realm of discussing what he did or didn't do and into an "us vs. them" argument that does not apply to someone who is in neither camp. You're making the false assumption that anyone who disagrees with your assessment of the handshake does so simply because he's looking for something to carp about Geoff Collins.

That having been said, the aborted handshake went off very poorly and was widely panned. That's my main objection - not so much that it was rude (and I understand your perspective of it is different than mine), but that it was perceived as such and did indeed get a fair amount of bad press. I understand why Collins was upset - that game was frustrating, especially because of some bad calls that went against us at critical times. But Coach has to maintain a certain level-headedness and I think he lost it just a little bit. Even if he didn't, it came off that way to a lot of folks (including me). The petulant poor loser tag likely won't follow Collins if it doesn't happen again. Hope not. I'm pulling for him.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It’s not a fact and it’s not telling me anything about myself. I don’t actually know why we expect coaches to shake hands anyway. In the pros they typically don’t. Besides CGC did shake hands he just didn’t want to talk.
This is kind of a good point, but let's add in to the cease and desist the National Anthem, color guards, etc. How that stuff even got started is a mystery to me. Baseball, football, basketball, etc., have nothing to do with patriotism or love of country. It is idiotic to think so.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is kind of a good point, but let's add in to the cease and desist the National Anthem, color guards, etc. How that stuff even got started is a mystery to me. Baseball, football, basketball, etc., have nothing to do with patriotism or love of country. It is idiotic to think so.
This response really doesn't make sense to me. Are you equating the National Anthem with the head coaches shaking hands at the end of a game?