The "Geoff Collins" Rule

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Itinerant nomads? I have no idea what you are going on about here.
Rule one never use the word Hate.

Rule 2 always take screen grabs.

Should we be saving these posts (itinerant nomads) to pic files so they can be reposted in a year?

The one I loved was the recruiting technique for flipping the Temple recruit was " Unsavory". Also - "Braun left because he didn't like the words in a Twitter thing make gt elite is why he left. " Good thing the 3 posters that like that don't attend the games.

Sure these guys are going to give the new staff a fair chance. I love these guys .

Scott Young.

beerbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe we should think about using colloquialisms that don't convey the absolute worst intentions on others.
Was he showing disdain, what’s the right word? He took a swipe that wasn’t factually true or maybe even “thoughtless”. Sounded like he was “disdaining” on them. Disdainers gonna disdain.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, "hating on" someone or being a "hater" isn't usually taken to mean literal hatred. Just means you're knocking them, making unjustified criticism or just generally doubting them. Its a colloquial term.
For the record, regarding the original post of assistant coaches toadying up to the Big Guy with the press, Tech is by no means alone in this, and I am serious in that it is part and parcel of being an assistant football coach, one of the most insecure jobs in America. (Saban finished second in the nation in January and immediately replaced seven assistants, including the OC and DC. One of the staples of a coach's family is to buy a house that can sell quickly, and renting is almost unheard of since that implies a lack of confidence in the program.)

Clemson is a program I really admire -- Swinney has built a collegial culture at all levels from the ground up, and certainly has proved he can win his way -- has some great assistants who can work anywhere. Yet pick up a story about an assistant coach and three paragraphs in I just about guarantee Swinney gets his due. I find it kind of off-putting since the story isn't about the main guy.

beerbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Where in the world do fellows like you come up with this "hate" nonsense? Never met the gentleman, and unless you know that he helped the Russians steal the '16 election I have no reason to "hate" him. Words are too important to be strewn about so thoughtlessly.
Sigh. Initially I was perplexed why "hate on" made some so touchy. So many recruits are always using that lingo on twitter. Taylor Swift has a song, on and on. I live in a city with very, very few Tech fans. 99% UGA fans and I always get hated on. This board is one of my outlets to be among brethren, so here goes......

I always coach my employees to be careful how they word emails and encourage them to use their phone, especially in delicate situations. I ALSO coach them to not read too much into incoming emails. Don't assume you understand all the sender's intent. Assume that you are misreading or misinterpreting it. Ask for clarification before going off and creating strife where it doesn't exist. Assume people are generally good.

Boards are the same way, especially when people are using mobile devices and can't spend 10 hours crafting a reply/post to make sure no one can possibly be offended. Amongst our brethren, wish we could cut each other some slack and not have to be so careful.

I wasn't offended by the post knocking our assistant coaches, just wanted to point out that there were indeed interviews, specifically Suddes, that ran contrary to the derisive comments -- which really weren't derisive, just someone trying to say they aren't buying the hype.

Oh well, nothing will change (OK to be a skeptic?). People are going to hate -- I can take it.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
For the record, regarding the original post of assistant coaches toadying up to the Big Guy with the press, Tech is by no means alone in this, and I am serious in that it is part and parcel of being an assistant football coach, one of the most insecure jobs in America. (Saban finished second in the nation in January and immediately replaced seven assistants, including the OC and DC. One of the staples of a coach's family is to buy a house that can sell quickly, and renting is almost unheard of since that implies a lack of confidence in the program.)
So we were selling our house and a family came by. They were interested (it didn't work out), so I asked the lady what she might do with the place. "Oh," says she, "We'll paint the whole place white." Why, I asked. "We get transferred a lot and I like purple and white. So we paint each house white and I have a house full of purple furniture that we move in once the paint dries." Perfect solution for assistant coaches, I'd say.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Sigh. Initially I was perplexed why "hate on" made some so touchy. So many recruits are always using that lingo on twitter. Taylor Swift has a song, on and on. I live in a city with very, very few Tech fans. 99% UGA fans and I always get hated on. This board is one of my outlets to be among brethren, so here goes......

I always coach my employees to be careful how they word emails and encourage them to use their phone, especially in delicate situations. I ALSO coach them to not read too much into incoming emails. Don't assume you understand all the sender's intent. Assume that you are misreading or misinterpreting it. Ask for clarification before going off and creating strife where it doesn't exist. Assume people are generally good.

Boards are the same way, especially when people are using mobile devices and can't spend 10 hours crafting a reply/post to make sure no one can possibly be offended. Amongst our brethren, wish we could cut each other some slack and not have to be so careful.

I wasn't offended by the post knocking our assistant coaches, just wanted to point out that there were indeed interviews, specifically Suddes, that ran contrary to the derisive comments -- which really weren't derisive, just someone trying to say they aren't buying the hype.

Oh well, nothing will change (OK to be a skeptic?). People are going to hate -- I can take it.

Shake it off, shake it off.

beerbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow

Clemson is a program I really admire -- Swinney has built a collegial culture at all levels from the ground up, and certainly has proved he can win his way -- has some great assistants who can work anywhere. Yet pick up a story about an assistant coach and three paragraphs in I just about guarantee Swinney gets his due. I find it kind of off-putting since the story isn't about the main guy.
Feel sorry for those guys. I guess that if they don't talk nice about the boss, they hurt their chances on the next gig they will inevitably need. Not many bosses like an employee that will undermine them. I do think these guys really believe in CGC. I was initially upset that CGC let so many of the old staff go, but I get why now. I'm also drinking the koolaid, though.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Where in the world do fellows like you come up with this "hate" nonsense? Never met the gentleman, and unless you know that he helped the Russians steal the '16 election I have no reason to "hate" him. Words are too important to be strewn about so thoughtlessly.
Brilliant! We had all forgotten that they are actually “coaches”. What a thoroughly worthless post.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

So you're just slinging the word around, because you saw other people sling it around.
Here's a suggestion: If you don't mean it, don't say it.

beerbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
So you're just slinging the word around, because you saw other people sling it around.
Here's a suggestion: If you don't mean it, don't say it.
Please pay attention and comprehend. I did mean it. I think I ended my post with it. I didn't back track on using slang. I was trying to help guys like you understand so we could avoid a misunderstanding and response like yours.....This is hilarious/sad...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Collins' assistants seem hand-picked for their skill at the No. One rule for assistant coaches: Don't get interviewed unless the interview is about your boss, and then ladle on the saccharin. Sooner or later this group of itinerant nomads have to actually coach, and then we shall see.
I have seen many great posts u have made.
This thread started w a link to an article about one of the assistants who was there when the Saban rule was made. Suddes gave credit to Collins. Several posters read the article and posted items and there opiions from the article.

As we all know assistant coaching is nomadic life choice. I looked at bio for our staff and vt and saw no measureble difference.

Out of some where you came up with the sentence - --"sooner or later this group of itinerant nomads will have to actually coach and then shall see".

Over the next few years I hope our new coaches and the players they recruit can win your admiration and then loyalty.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Please pay attention and comprehend. I did mean it. I think I ended my post with it. I didn't back track on using slang. I was trying to help guys like you understand so we could avoid a misunderstanding and response like yours.....This is hilarious/sad...

Well okey dokey but I don't think anybody hates anybody around here.

beerbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Well okey dokey but I don't think anybody hates anybody around here.
Exactly, it's slang. You are a tech guy and that's my point, you are automatically good in my book. So stop hating on me because you don't get the lingo. Or don't. You'll eventually figure it out and I'll be here to share my whiskey clear with you.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Exactly, it's slang. You are a tech guy and that's my point, you are automatically good in my book. So stop hating on me because you don't get the lingo. Or don't. You'll eventually figure it out and I'll be here to share my whiskey clear with you.

Oh, I get it. You thought you'd slip some slang over the heads of some unsuspecting sad/funny un-hip schlimazels. I capiche.

beerbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Oh, I get it. You thought you'd slip some slang over the heads of some unsuspecting sad/funny un-hip schlimazels. I capiche.
Sigh. I hope the best for you and yours, seriously. I don't know what else to do or say. I don't want to one up you or anyone. I'll let this go. you or anyone else can have the last word.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Disagreeing with a particular slang-use of a word is not the same as not understanding the slang-use.

When people use "hate" idiomaticly, they are still framing the disagreement as personal. It is a way of deligitimizing an opinion as emotional rather than rational. Hence the phrase, "Haters gonna hate!"

In other words, when you say somebody is hating on another, you may not mean literal hate. However, you certainly don't mean that they are expressing an opinion that should be considered.

It is a symptom of the everyone-gets-a-trophy generation.

Now, if you think I'm just hating on you, you've made my point.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Disagreeing with a particular slang-use of a word is not the same as not understanding the slang-use.

When people use "hate" idiomaticly, they are still framing the disagreement as personal. It is a way of deligitimizing an opinion as emotional rather than rational. Hence the phrase, "Haters gonna hate!"

In other words, when you say somebody is hating on another, you may not mean literal hate. However, you certainly don't mean that they are expressing an opinion that should be considered.

It is a symptom of the everyone-gets-a-trophy generation.

Now, if you think I'm just hating on you, you've made my point.

I think you are overthinking it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I have seen many great posts u have made.
This thread started w a link to an article about one of the assistants who was there when the Saban rule was made. Suddes gave credit to Collins. Several posters read the article and posted items and there opiions from the article.

As we all know assistant coaching is nomadic life choice. I looked at bio for our staff and vt and saw no measureble difference.

Out of some where you came up with the sentence - --"sooner or later this group of itinerant nomads will have to actually coach and then shall see".

Over the next few years I hope our new coaches and the players they recruit can win your admiration and then loyalty.
I'll always be loyal -- too many years and too late to change -- but it (on the surface) seems the AD has given the football program all the things denied over the years, and a bunch of additional staff, so, yes, I expect wins now. One key this season will be how he uses the roster with mostly Johnson/option recruits, but other than that I'll give him a so-so year, and won't even expect much against Georgia. But in 2020? Well, show me.