The "Geoff Collins" Rule

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Reading these articles about the staff and watching Roddy's interviews with the coaches (I like him much better than Demetra as an interviewer, btw.) is really starting to get me excited about what Collins can do at Georgia Tech. Why can't we start winning more games more consistently? Why do we need to settle for the historical average performance that Johnson liked to point to it seemed? (I love Coach Johnson, btw.)

It seems like we have assembled a staff with a lot of people that really want to be at Georgia Tech and see Tech succeed. The alumni in the coaching ranks and on staff for sure. Collins has said he grew up rooting for Tech. And now we read that even Suddes wanted to come to Tech with Collins. Those that don't seem to have Tech connections really believe in Collins though, so in turn they believe in Tech. (Is that a stretch to say that?)

Now we read the Saban rule is because of Collins? Everyone describes him as full of energy and passion. I'm starting to buy into the hype of him being the real deal. There is no reason that Georgia Tech can't be successful consistently at a high level on the gridiron. I think we have the man to make it happen.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Suddes said that, even then, Collins already was enamored with the idea of becoming head coach at Tech.

“Always talked about it,” Suddes said. “And he said then – originally, he said he was going to hire me as his DB coach. I think he said it when we were at Alabama. But I got out of the coaching game, but we always talked about, ‘If you came to Tech, I’m there, 100 percent.’ Just kind of came to fruition. It usually doesn’t work out as planned, but it did.”

This quote confirms that Georgia Tech really always was Collins' dream job. The fact that he had been eyeing the GT job since he left in 2007 was mentioned by others a couple times, but having an official anecdote from someone with him at that time is great. Makes Collins' enthusiasm and vision much easier to buy into when it seems like he's been planning this for awhile, and it seems his coaching staff has already done so.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
This quote confirms that Georgia Tech really always was Collins' dream job. The fact that he had been eyeing the GT job since he left in 2007 was mentioned by others a couple times, but having an official anecdote from someone with him at that time is great. Makes Collins' enthusiasm and vision much easier to buy into when it seems like he's been planning this for awhile, and it seems his coaching staff has already done so.

Since his initial presser when he said he had spoken to CPJ, but didnt know whether CPJ remembered those conversations, I've wondered whether he wanted to get back on staff with us in the past. I'm thinking when we got Roof might have been a timeframe when it could have happened.

I think he's going to be here as long as we'll have him. I don't see him as an NFL guy.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
That was the most interesting piece of the article for me. When he talked about it being his "dream job" it was hard for me to tell if he was genuine or just coach speak. When answering questions he always seemed to focus on how he loved living in Atlanta and that is where his wife would want him to be but not as much on Tech itself. After reading that he has been discussing being the head coach at Tech ever since he left Tech in 2007 is a strong indication that he really was genuine. He may still leave Tech for greener pa$ture$ but I do think it will be harder for people to lure him away.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Collins' assistants seem hand-picked for their skill at the No. One rule for assistant coaches: Don't get interviewed unless the interview is about your boss, and then ladle on the saccharin. Sooner or later this group of itinerant nomads have to actually coach, and then we shall see.

beerbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Collins' assistants seem hand-picked for their skill at the No. One rule for assistant coaches: Don't get interviewed unless the interview is about your boss, and then ladle on the saccharin. Sooner or later this group of itinerant nomads have to actually coach, and then we shall see.

You're right - we'll find out. I think most of these guys have proven they can coach, but we'll see how it works out here. And we'll find out how much of the praise is sycophancy or sincerity, but the way these guys seem energized and pumped makes me want to breathe the fresh air and have another glass of kool aid.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Itinerant nomads? I have no idea what you are going on about here.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You're right - we'll find out. I think most of these guys have proven they can coach, but we'll see how it works out here. And we'll find out how much of the praise is sycophancy or sincerity, but the way these guys seem energized and pumped makes me want to breathe the fresh air and have another glass of kool aid.

Key was considered a VERY good coach even before he got to 'Bama. Saban literally re-arranged his staff to bring Key aboard. You don't coach under George O'Leary if you're a crap coach, and you definitely don't coach for Saban if you're a bad coach.

Andrew Thacker is considered one of "up and comers" of coaching. He's was part of the "35 under 35" coaches. Think about that.

Patenaude has broken offensive records everywhere he's coached.

Tashard Choice was nominated for one of the top RB coaches by a media outlet.

Our assistant coaches can coach. And if you look at our offseason workout videos, they're out there grinding with our players early in the morning. This is a very dynamic staff, and I expect very good things from them.

Of course, proof is in the pudding. Just win, baby!

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Where in the world do fellows like you come up with this "hate" nonsense? Never met the gentleman, and unless you know that he helped the Russians steal the '16 election I have no reason to "hate" him. Words are too important to be strewn about so thoughtlessly.

If you disagree with someone, or offer constructive criticism, it’s now considered “hate”.

Too many folks are raising their kids in a way to shelter them from ever encountering hardship. Then, when they do, they can’t cope.

So, if you don’t like or agree with what they did or said, you’re a “hater”.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
If you disagree with someone, or offer constructive criticism, it’s now considered “hate”.

Too many folks are raising their kids in a way to shelter them from ever encountering hardship. Then, when they do, they can’t cope.

So, if you don’t like or agree with what they did or said, you’re a “hater”.

Fwiw, "hating on" someone or being a "hater" isn't usually taken to mean literal hatred. Just means you're knocking them, making unjustified criticism or just generally doubting them. Its a colloquial term.

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Fwiw, "hating on" someone or being a "hater" isn't usually taken to mean literal hatred. Just means you're knocking them, making unjustified criticism or just generally doubting them. Its a colloquial term.

Maybe we should think about using colloquialisms that don't convey the absolute worst intentions on others.