The Gap... Johnson on 2017 and the Clemson/UGA gap

GTFLETCH

Banned
So if GT wins this year, that will mean we have won two out of the past three (67%), so will you be willing to say that he has reversed the trend back to our favor, or will you just continue picking the specific years you want to use to make your point?
Comparing Georgia Tech football to Duke Football is the "The ISSUE" ... Instead of DUKE vs GT we should be talking about GT vs Miami, VT, Clemson, FSU.... Oh how GT football has fallen...SMH..Damn Shame.... Consider this George O'leary record vs Duke 7-0.... Chan Gailey 6-1.... They also avg 7 wins a year like Dodd and CPJ.... We need to be more than 67% vs DUKE... We are going in the wrong direction....

GTFLETCH

Banned
GTFletch, seems you are quite the CPJ hater. Life might be much sunnier for you if you just started rooting for Clemson that you admire so much instead of GT. At least you wouldn’t wear yourself out beating dead horses daily.
Listen I like Georgia Tech.... I hope we beat Duke and Clemson this year.... I want to start to close the gap... two things will happen, we either will or we will not... But I am GT for life... This is know where near the Bill Lewis Era... But having two losing seasons in the past three years is what it is....

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
GTFletch, seems you are quite the CPJ hater. Life might be much sunnier for you if you just started rooting for Clemson that you admire so much instead of GT. At least you wouldn’t wear yourself out beating dead horses daily.
While I don't always agree with GTFletch he is in no way the biggest CPJ hater on this board. That being said he isn't the biggest fan either ;)

Deleted member 2897

So Clemson has gobs of money.... it has only been since Dani that the Georgia Tech Clemson gap has widen... they had gobs of money in 1988,1998,2004... on and on...

I am sorry that I did not pref...Dabo Head Coach who has to recruit and hire asst coaches.... again his body of work is better than CPJ... we can see GT DC revolving door for that point...and to see what Dani has done with the Gobs of money that no previous Clemson coach has done is simply amazing!

That doesn't actually refute anything I said.

Deleted member 2897

Listen I like Georgia Tech.... I hope we beat Duke and Clemson this year.... I want to start to close the gap... two things will happen, we either will or we will not... But I am GT for life... This is know where near the Bill Lewis Era... But having two losing seasons in the past three years is what it is....

Keep giving your opinions - nothing wrong with it. But if you say B*** L****' name again I will have you banned! :D :D :D

GTFLETCH

Banned
Keep giving your opinions - nothing wrong with it. But if you say B*** L****' name again I will have you banned! :D :D :D
One last Opinion.... I find it interesting that George O'leary- avg 7.4 wins per season also had GT finished top 25 Ranked in 5 of his 7 seasons...CG- avg 7.3 wins per season never finished a season ranked and Coach Paul Johnson has only finished 3 seasons ranked in the Top 25...

While some on this forum do a Chan vs CPJ... I want to find the next George O'Leary to be our Head Coach... Hell he also had a 3 year period that saw GT win 10, 8,9 games...something that Chan nor CPJ has yet to do!!! (CPJ could do it 2018-19-20...that would be awesome)

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
One last Opinion.... I find it interesting that George O'leary- avg 7.4 wins per season also had GT finished top 25 Ranked in 5 of his 7 seasons...CG- avg 7.3 wins per season never finished a season ranked and Coach Paul Johnson has only finished 3 seasons ranked in the Top 25...

While some on this forum do a Chan vs CPJ... I want to find the next George O'Leary to be our Head Coach... Hell he also had a 3 year period that saw GT win 10, 8,9 games...something that Chan nor CPJ has yet to do!!! (CPJ could do it 2018-19-20...that would be awesome)

O'leary got a lot of special admits, something that the hill stopped doing for both chan and for CPJ. it was a big deal when we got one for Travis Custis. and well we all know how that worked out.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Ask any Clemson fan and they will say the opposite. Dabo is a great recruiter who hired great assistants and lets them do their jobs. All of these things are helped by having gobs of money. Now are all of these things part of being a great coach? Absolutely. But in terms of actual football coaching, not so much.
This ^^^
Sum$ it up. Recruiting and being able to place players in degrees that a 2.0 GPA high school player can make academic progress makes recruiting easier.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
This ^^^
Sum$ it up. Recruiting and being able to place players in degrees that a 2.0 GPA high school player can make academic progress makes recruiting easier.

Not just that they get anyone in a pulse in, there's a lot of other stuff going on. Sammy Watkins gets pulled over for distribution and PEDs and serves a 2 game suspension. Tahj Boyd is connected with Will Lyles (Google them), the street agent selling recruits that got Chip Kelly a show cause at Oregon. Faculty in the real estate program (being paid by Clemson) hire players at their businesses regularly after graduation (legal but seems like the school is subsidizing salaries for their recruits after they get out). There's so much shady stuff going on up there that may be legal but that wouldn't pass at a place like Tech.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Not just that they get anyone in a pulse in, there's a lot of other stuff going on. Sammy Watkins gets pulled over for distribution and PEDs and serves a 2 game suspension. Tahj Boyd is connected with Will Lyles (Google them), the street agent selling recruits that got Chip Kelly a show cause at Oregon. Faculty in the real estate program (being paid by Clemson) hire players at their businesses regularly after graduation (legal but seems like the school is subsidizing salaries for their recruits after they get out). There's so much shady stuff going on up there that may be legal but that wouldn't pass at a place like Tech.
I am glad Tech runs a clean program!!

This is the kind of oral diarrhea that probably makes you feel better by posting it, but it has literally no bearing in reality. Have you met anybody on this board who is willing to accept 2017 as what we should expect? Nonsense.

Nothing makes me shake my head in disbelief more than seeing the main (non-athletic) Georgia Tech Facebook page post something cool our students are doing, and then random people vomit all over it about how bad our football team is. NO, your fandom is bad.

My fandom got me a GT diploma, bought season tickets for a few years, continues to buy and wear GT clothing, etc. I don't FaceBook so no idea WTF you're talking about there.

The anger from some fans here directed at other fans who aren't thrilled with 2017, 2015, and 2010 is proof that there are absolutely people out there willing to accept these terrible years.

It is about 73%. If you want to pick a year, why not pick 2014? That was 110% of Clemson's wins with about 73% of their budget. Funny how cherry picking stats can look any way you want it to.

Why not look at the entire tenure of CPJ? That is about 71% of Clemson's wins with about 70-75% of Clemson's budget.
It is about 73%. If you want to pick a year, why not pick 2014? That was 110% of Clemson's wins with about 73% of their budget. Funny how cherry picking stats can look any way you want it to.

Why not look at the entire tenure of CPJ? That is about 71% of Clemson's wins with about 70-75% of Clemson's budget.

I am not cherry-picking - the article was about the 2015-16 season. As I'm not the author of that article, you'll have to direct your cherry-picking claims at the AJC.

And it was 75% of Clemson's revenue for < 30% of Clemson's victory total that year. That was the year CPJ got $1 million / win.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I am not cherry-picking - the article was about the 2015-16 season. As I'm not the author of that article, you'll have to direct your cherry-picking claims at the AJC.

And it was 75% of Clemson's revenue for < 30% of Clemson's victory total that year. That was the year CPJ got $1 million / win.

The reason that article lists the 15-16 season for finances is because that is the last year the data is available from the USA Today NCAA Finances report. The entire article is about the 2017 season, not the 15-16 season.

It is still cherry-picking to make definitive statements about CPJ's coaching based on that year alone.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think the data demonstrate both that CPJ is an offensive genius AND that he will not accept mediocrity from a DC.

I admit that I subjectively experience our games differently now than under Chan when it seemed like our bench was expecting a loss. So, I appreciate that others experience it differently.

Still, I think it is important that we don't attack other GT fans because they don't share our subjective reactions. We should all have others off the internet on whom we can rely to affirm our feelings.

In other words, I am as frustrated by the CPJ bashers who seem to be looking for a unicorn as they are with me for apparently accepting mediocrity (which is stupid).

I am more optimistic about our new DC than any previous under cpj.

legggooo

GTFLETCH

Banned
I think the data demonstrate both that CPJ is an offensive genius AND that he will not accept mediocrity from a DC.

I admit that I subjectively experience our games differently now than under Chan when it seemed like our bench was expecting a loss. So, I appreciate that others experience it differently.

Still, I think it is important that we don't attack other GT fans because they don't share our subjective reactions. We should all have others off the internet on whom we can rely to affirm our feelings.

In other words, I am as frustrated by the CPJ bashers who seem to be looking for a unicorn as they are with me for apparently accepting mediocrity (which is stupid).

I am more optimistic about our new DC than any previous under cpj.

legggooo
I agree with 99% of your post... Here is what I am having a hard time with. Why would folks say CPJ doesn't except mediocrity feom a DC and then he has a QB playing out of position (when he stated that he could call plays for any four QB because if the great depth) who only complete 37% of his passes and he accepts less then mediocrity with that... I am starting to think he is no genius...maybe a guru...but I am having a hard time swallowing that pill... someone else should have seen the field last year...

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My fandom got me a GT diploma, bought season tickets for a few years, continues to buy and wear GT clothing, etc. I don't FaceBook so no idea WTF you're talking about there.

The anger from some fans here directed at other fans who aren't thrilled with 2017, 2015, and 2010 is proof that there are absolutely people out there willing to accept these terrible years.
I totally agree with you, we are not performing like GT when we lose 3 of 4 games to Duke, we are regressing in recruiting, performance and reputation as a football school

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I like O'Leary, too. He ran a consistently good program and set us up to have success after he was gone. But, the best bowls he ever reached were the Peach and Gator. CPJ's been to two orange bowls in addition to bowls formerly known as the Peach and Gator, along with other mostly mid-tier bowls. And he's done it in an ACC that is much tougher, top to bottom. CPJ hasn't had the luxury of coaching against Donnan, either.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree with 99% of your post... Here is what I am having a hard time with. Why would folks say CPJ doesn't except mediocrity feom a DC and then he has a QB playing out of position (when he stated that he could call plays for any four QB because if the great depth) who only complete 37% of his passes and he accepts less then mediocrity with that... I am starting to think he is no genius...maybe a guru...but I am having a hard time swallowing that pill... someone else should have seen the field last year...
As long as you keep saying crap like that, you'll get push back on this board.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

OK, so I watch the games and not just the w's and l's .

Last year, we had our OL get banged up and our QB regress as a result. We lost games late likely because of lack of depth on O and poor play calling on D.

Yes, that's my opinion, but I think it more reasonable than to think cpj forgets and remembers alternative years.

Finally, your post is nonsense. It questions cpj's attitude toward D by his choice of QB. It uses "except" in place of "accept." It assumes completion% should be a deciding factor for which QB starts when we pass rarely.

You would do better admitting that you post emotionally than trying to be rational

OK, so I watch the games and not just the w's and l's .

Last year, we had our OL get banged up and our QB regress as a result. We lost games late likely because of lack of depth on O and poor play calling on D.

Yes, that's my opinion, but I think it more reasonable than to think cpj forgets and remembers alternative years.

Finally, your post is nonsense. It questions cpj's attitude toward D by his choice of QB. It uses "except" in place of "accept." It assumes completion% should be a deciding factor for which QB starts when we pass rarely.

You would do better admitting that you post emotionally than trying to be rational
2016-2017. Here is how I look at it. We were two plays away from being 7-4. Tennessee and Miami. in 2016 we were two plays away from being 7-6. Georgia and BC. That is the difference.