The future of GT football

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Look at what he did at UF when Will Grier was suspended and Treon Harris had to play QB. It’s possible but we must play GREAT defense
That was some desperation times for Gator fans. Poor Treon had been an all state quarterback from Miami but was in way over his head as a college quarterback. Great athlete but suffered from having to follow Will Grier who could just about put a football through a garden hose. That called for "GREAT" Gator defense like not allowing any touchdowns.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I am at 66 and I have seen Tech teams with a lot less talent , the cupboard looks bare because of the Offensive coordinator But CGC is the head coach so it's his responsibility

There are probably a dozen Tech teams since Dodd retired that had far less talent than this one. It's not even close. It should be noted, however, that Coach Collins is playing with a pretty weak hand. Only 11 seniors, an injury plagued offensive line, undersized defensive line, slow linebackers, receivers struggling to get separation, quarterbacks who can throw but can't run, quarterbacks who can run but can't throw, and suddenly shaky place kicking. The only real constants are a pretty decent secondary, a punter who will probably lose 25lbs between now and December from overuse, a hard running tailback and a quarterback who is the best athlete on the team and as courageous a competitor as I have witnessed. IIWII

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Fan negativity on forums/social media, “fans” booing their own team and coaches and empty stadiums DO make a difference in recruiting. These kids see this stuff and it affects them.

Agree with everything you say except "negativity on forums". If a kid does not choose GT because of an old man posting something on this site, then he was not going to choose GT anyway. Every fan base has some old guys that post "realistic" or what you would call negative posts. I do agree that no one should boo our team (I never would), and that along with the empty stadiums, does impact recruiting. Also, one other thing that impacts recruiting - wins and losses.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Fan negativity on forums/social media, “fans” booing their own team and coaches and empty stadiums DO make a difference in recruiting. These kids see this stuff and it affects them.

I would hope that recruits would not pay much attention to the grousing of old geezers like myself screaming at the sky because we live vicariously through the exploits of Saturday heroes. They need to do what is best for them: athletically, socially, and in academics. They have a long hard road ahead of them after college. It never gets any easier until you are dead or retired.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Those must have all been pre-1990 because I haven’t seen any.
The Bill Lewis teams were woefully deficient in a number of areas even if we did have a quarterback rated number one or two out of high school. Some of Chan's early teams were pretty sad. We got beat by UGA 51-0. There have been teams about as talent deficient as this one but I am not sure I have seen one with so little experience having only 11 seniors.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Agree with everything you say except "negativity on forums". If a kid does not choose GT because of an old man posting something on this site, then he was not going to choose GT anyway. Every fan base has some old guys that post "realistic" or what you would call negative posts. I do agree that no one should boo our team (I never would), and that along with the empty stadiums, does impact recruiting. Also, one other thing that impacts recruiting - wins and losses.

Finebaum reports today that attendance at SEC games was way down this past weekend. And that AA’s should play quality opponents for the ticket price.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Finebaum reports today that attendance at SEC games was way down this past weekend. And that AA’s should play quality opponents for the ticket price.

Vespidae: With the technology what it is, where you can see games with air conditioning in a nice comfortable recliner on a 1080 or 2160 TV, I just don't see people paying overly high prices to be inconvenienced.

Yes, the gameday experience is great, and I think I will always want to experience that some, but I can see fewer and fewer people who actually want to sit in a hot stadium to watch games that should be blowouts (like ours should have been).

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Vespidae: With the technology what it is, where you can see games with air conditioning in a nice comfortable recliner on a 1080 or 2160 TV, I just don't see people paying overly high prices to be inconvenienced.

Yes, the gameday experience is great, and I think I will always want to experience that some, but I can see fewer and fewer people who actually want to sit in a hot stadium to watch games that should be blowouts (like ours should have been).

You are correct. And it’s going to get worse.

MWT89

Jolly Good Fellow
I haven't read all 15 pages of this thread so this may have been mentioned, but this year feels a lot like 1980. I hope I'm wrong.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck

I purchased season tickets for the first time in a very long time this year, but that was more due to some life changes and just doing things differently, and I’ve loved going to games this year more than I ever have, but as a newly single man (part of those changes referenced above), I could definitely see where those with families and/or small kids might choose to go to fewer and fewer (to none) in stadium games and opt for watching them at home. It can be quite expensive and inconveniencing to bring a family/small kids to a game, even as relatively low cost (compared to other higher profile D1 sports teams) as Tech sporting events are.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
We have kids, both boys, and we have sports on Saturday and Sunday. Had to give up our tickets but we loved bring the boys to the games and tailgating. We will make a few this year on off weekends.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I haven't read all 15 pages of this thread so this may have been mentioned, but this year feels a lot like 1980. I hope I'm wrong.
Or the 1934 1-9 team

Clemson W 12-7
Vanderbilt L 27-12
@Duke L 20-0
@Michigan L 9-2
@Tulane L 20-12
North Carolina L 26-0
Auburn L 18-6
Alabama L 40-0
@Florida L 13-12
@UGAG L 7-0

President Gerald Ford was Captain of the 1934 Michigan Team

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Or the 1934 1-9 team

Clemson W 12-7
Vanderbilt L 27-12
@Duke L 20-0
@Michigan L 9-2
@Tulane L 20-12
North Carolina L 26-0
Auburn L 18-6
Alabama L 40-0
@Florida L 13-12
@UGAG L 7-0

President Gerald Ford was Captain of the 1934 Michigan Team

Coach Alexander was in the middle of what proved to be a long dry spell. Good thing for him he had won a national championship in 1927. By the mid to late 1930s the game had, as they say, passed him by.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I purchased season tickets for the first time in a very long time this year, but that was more due to some life changes and just doing things differently, and I’ve loved going to games this year more than I ever have, but as a newly single man (part of those changes referenced above), I could definitely see where those with families and/or small kids might choose to go to fewer and fewer (to none) in stadium games and opt for watching them at home. It can be quite expensive and inconveniencing to bring a family/small kids to a game, even as relatively low cost (compared to other higher profile D1 sports teams) as Tech sporting events are.
If Tech was trying to make it difficult on people with kids to come to games, I’d like to know what they’d be doing differently.