The forgotten man

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
I wasn't going to comment but the first time I saw this I thought it was about a 1930's homeless person. Am I the only one?

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I wish Snoddy would have worked out at b-back.
Really? I never thought he fit there. Maybe he's a little undersized, maybe his running style didn't mesh well. I think he fits perfectly at A-back and was glad to see him stick there.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Snoddy in the open field is a sight similar to Dwyer in 2008 in the open field. You know it's a TD as soon as they clear the secondary because no one was catching them from behind. One of the fun things about this offense...guys will get a chance to make long runs, they just need to have the vision and ability to make a couple of guys miss. It's unfortunate for Snoddy that the injury happened, but really glad we got to see him blossom into a true homerun threat we all were waiting on before it happened.

The one thing Snoddy will have to work on is catching passes. He was below average in that aspect. It can be worked on, but he'll probably never be the receiving threat Orwin, Godhigh, and Zenon were.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
I think most are just waiting to see how he recovers physically and, more importantly, psychologically from his injury. If he returns to last year's form, it's on.
I think we are reading way too much into this "recovering psychologically" BS. I have been around a lot of hockey players at a high level who have suffered broken bones and concussions. A few have even played with broken bones in their foot and hands. I assure you this is not an issue. People who compete at a high level in their sport do not allow this to impact them. I understand to us the injury looked gruesome, but in most cases there is no psychological impact. Most of the time these guys are anxious to prove it does not impact them whatsoever. That is the type of competitor they are.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Snoddy! He's by far our best returning running back, but all the off season talk has been about the new guys. With the caveat that he's healthy and stays healthy, why wouldn't he get 1000 yds? He's going to be the go to A back, so he should get the carries. When he hit his stride last year, he showed that all he needed was a crease. He is probably more of a home run threat than Thomas. Does Snoddy take yds away from Thomas? If we primarily use one B Back (Skov?) and he rushes for 1000 yds, will we have three 1000 yd guys in the backfield at the same time? If Snoddy picks up where he left off against Pitt and Clemson, I think he will be first team All-ACC.

One other thought, should Skov rush for 1000 yds after being primarily a blocking back, then every hammer headed full back in the country will beat down CPJ's doors to play for him.
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I think 1000 yds is a tough ask. I am not at all worried about the psycological side to recovery from his leg fracture. However, ABs really don't get the carries necessary to compile those kinds of yards. 1000 yds combined rushing and receiving might even be a bit much to expect. Snoddy's speed is real and something to account for if you are in charge of the opposing defense. I have no doubt he will break some runs. I have no doubt he will outrun the secondary on occasion. However, he has some limitations that mitigate his speed and, to a certain extent, power. There is not as much wiggle there as some of our previous yardage gainers at the position, nor are there really soft hands receiving the ball. I would love to be proven wrong about this, but I would expect about 600 yds rushing and maybe 200 through the air. That would place him second or third in CPJ's tenure as an AB I believe. To be truthful, I am expecting a huge jump in the receiving department by ABs, as a group, this year. That may mean that Broderick is watching from the sideline some of the time. If you watch the film, ABs were ignored open last year running down the hash marks or on the wheel. JeT will learn watching the film and captitalize this season. I look for players like Searcy to make a huge impact because of their hands, speed, and body control. I love Snoddy and believe he will be a MAJOR part of our plans. However, 1000 yards are hard to deliver in a system where the direction of the play and who gets the ball are not determined when the play is sent in from the sideline. Let's hope he blocks hard and gets the most out of the opportunities to run the ball that he gets. AB is the ultimate team first, unselfish, position. Snoddy will fit right in.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Not sleeping on Snoddy. Just holding my breath. Being a true fan I have a slight streak of superstition when it comes to sports. I have not wanted to mention his name but rather just silently crossing my fingers.