The forgotten man

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Snoddy! He's by far our best returning running back, but all the off season talk has been about the new guys. With the caveat that he's healthy and stays healthy, why wouldn't he get 1000 yds? He's going to be the go to A back, so he should get the carries. When he hit his stride last year, he showed that all he needed was a crease. He is probably more of a home run threat than Thomas. Does Snoddy take yds away from Thomas? If we primarily use one B Back (Skov?) and he rushes for 1000 yds, will we have three 1000 yd guys in the backfield at the same time? If Snoddy picks up where he left off against Pitt and Clemson, I think he will be first team All-ACC.

One other thought, should Skov rush for 1000 yds after being primarily a blocking back, then every hammer headed full back in the country will beat down CPJ's doors to play for him.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Broderick is one of the brightest hopes we have. I'm glad you have shone a spotlight on him with this thread. If he's feeling mentally recovered (and no one's going to know that until the live ammo flies), then he's the man.

All indications are that he looks fabulous, and is full-go now.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Good points. The light did appear to come on for him last season. The one thing I will say about stats and awards, however, is that AB is probably the toughest skill position in college football to get those accolades. I mean, you may have a 200 yard game (RJ) where you busted three long runs, then a game with one catch for 30 yards. Both games you dominated, but in one you did most of your work cutting down LBs and safeties.

I will say that JT's passing ability may finally allow us to exploit wide open ABs all over the field (because they are usually WIDE OPEN ALL OVER THE FIELD!!), leading to more stats and highlights for the ABs.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I think most are just waiting to see how he recovers physically and, more importantly, psychologically from his injury. If he returns to last year's form, it's on.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Just watched the Orange Bowl series which ended with JT throwing an interception after being chased around for quite some time. This year he should be calmer and hopefully make fewer such mistakes. When you have the combination of 1) the speed, elusiveness and now experienced passing of JT 2) a running game that must be the primary focus of the defense and then speed burners like Snoddy going out for passes, the passing game could be incredibly efficient and effective.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I think most are just waiting to see how he recovers physically and, more importantly, psychologically from his injury. If he returns to last year's form, it's on.

Physically he was cleared in April. CPJ has already stated he's ready to go. The psychological side no one knows until he get into contact. Honestly, I'd be very surprised if there was any carry over in that regard.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I'll jus' leave this here ...

Bawse

Love watching that play, helluva run by Snoddy. I noticed it looked like Chamberlain kind of tackled Shaq in the end zone and Shaq didn't look too happy...pretty funny moment from a game that was one of the strangest I can remember seeing. The first 5 minutes was just insane.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Physically he was cleared in April. CPJ has already stated he's ready to go. The psychological side no one knows until he get into contact. Honestly, I'd be very surprised if there was any carry over in that regard.
I think that's likely true. Then again, if I laid on the turf at Bobby Dodd and watched my leg dangle like his did-- I'm not sure what I would think the first time I saw live action again.

We won't know until then. But, I am hoping for the best. Healthy, he could a be a lethal weapon for us.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
It is possible for an AB to be the featured running back in this offense, look at Shun White's last year at Navy. Dude went over 1,000 yards as a senior and had a couple ridiculous games (I think over 300 yards once). He was a fast little guy, kind of like Godhigh but with a higher top end.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I just re-watched the Pitt game this week, and man...Snoddy played liked a man on a mission. 3 TDs, speed, power, vision...he looked like everything we hoped for. After watching that game, I had the exact same thought--don't sleep on Snoddy. I am excited to have him back for one more year, and I am expecting him to leave his mark this year. Next year we will be saying, "Who's gonna replace Snoddy?" :)

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I think that's likely true. Then again, if I laid on the turf at Bobby Dodd and watched my leg dangle like his did-- I'm not sure what I would think the first time I saw live action again.

We won't know until then. But, I am hoping for the best. Healthy, he could a be a lethal weapon for us.

Let's keep in mind that Snoddy's injury was not the result of contact with a defender; it was a 'freak' accident in which one leg was broken by the violent forward motion of the other. If there is a psychological hurdle in his recovery, it is in overcoming the fear that he might re-injure himself by running too hard, NOT that he might get injured by contact with a defender.

Think about that: we have an A-Back whose on-field boogeyman (if he has one) is the awesome destructive power of his own lower-body running strength. How's a defender going to feel, facing off against a running back who has actually run so hard he broke his own leg! (I can't help but picture Berthold from "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen".)

I'm looking forward to seeing Snoddy back on the field this Fall. I'm confident he'll have a productive season--not just for himself, but for what he brings out in his teammates.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Let's keep in mind that Snoddy's injury was not the result of contact with a defender; it was a 'freak' accident in which one leg was broken by the violent forward motion of the other. If there is a psychological hurdle in his recovery, it is in overcoming the fear that he might re-injure himself by running too hard, NOT that he might get injured by contact with a defender.

Think about that: we have an A-Back whose on-field boogeyman (if he has one) is the awesome destructive power of his own lower-body running strength. How's a defender going to feel, facing off against a running back who has actually run so hard he broke his own leg! (I can't help but picture Berthold from "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen".)

I'm looking forward to seeing Snoddy back on the field this Fall. I'm confident he'll have a productive season--not just for himself, but for what he brings out in his teammates.

Yes, it did seem to be the force of his right leg that did the damage, but we don't need to make him out as clumsy, as if there was no contact with a defender involved. He was being tackled. The defender's downward force kept the left leg planted and lateral force resulted in the right foot making contact with the back of the left leg.