The End of College Sports As We Know It

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I feel we and most other D1 schools have the illusion of playing for championships. I have heard fonts of this board talk (post) about us getting into the CFP. My take on the current hierarchy is that Clemson and FSU are actually the only ACC schools playing to get into the CFP. The rest of us are trying to win eight or nine games and get into a decent bowl game. If Key can get us to an annual expectation of 9-3 or 8-4 he could be here for life. No one really expects us to win 11 or 12 games. And, this is in the ACC where only two teams are in that elite expectations class.
I agree.

Key has a lifetime job if he wants it and can produce 7-9 wins consistently. Maybe even an occasional 10 or 11-win season with the right combination of players. Of course, we'll have the occasional 6-6 year, too. So, win the conference and get an automatic bid. That's our Ticket to the dance.

But that's as things stand today. Tomorrow is what has me worried.

I do not like the storm clouds on the horizon. It's about to pour down even more buckets of money on the FBS, and we can't run with the big state flagship universities.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
There is zero reason a school like GT can't work hard to give a player with potential NFL talent the opportunity to peruse that opportunity while giving the individual an excellent education. There are plenty of GT grads who played in the NFL who are excellent citizens who make their communities much better than the average GT grad.

In addition to the academics GT offers the discipline and effort required to be a great football player sets these individuals apart from the average GT student.

The thought that GT can't do both is thinking small and stereotyping athletes.

THE FLATS (April 28, 2023) – Keion White (Garner, N.C./Garner H.S.) became Georgia Tech's highest National Football League Draft pick in 11 years when the New England Patriots selected the Yellow Jackets' defensive end with the 15th pick of the second round (No. 46 overall) of the 2023 NFL Draft on Friday night in Kansas City.

46th overall was Tech's best in eleven years, folks. So, maybe we should just nip this NFL charade in the bud, okay? Our players are going to work after hanging up their pads.

What if we were to guarantee placement for our STEM majors in great paying jobs in GT alum-owned companies after graduation?

What if every kid in the country considering a degree in engineering or computer science, etc. wanted to play at Tech because of the job he would have?

If you're a decent 3* athlete with career aspirations, do you go to ECU? Or accept the scholly from Harvard because of the doors that diploma opens for you? Official visits to campus are restricted. What about plant trips?

We have an edge. Lets use it to our advantage.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Baker said he believes about 100 schools might consider opting into a new subdivision.

There are 133 schools in Division 1 football’s highest tier, the Football Bowl Subdivision. Baker’s proposal seems targeted at about half those schools that compete in the five power conferences. That number of conferences is shrinking to four after recent realignment moves go into effect next year, but it will still encompass about 65 schools.

Atlantic Coast Conference Commissioner Jim Phillips said Baker needs now to gather support from various constituencies, from university presidents to athletic directors to coaches.

“It’s not going to please everybody and maybe some (schools) can and can’t do certain things,” Phillips said. “So it’s important now to get a reaction from the missive that Charlie sent.”

Baker said differences in budget sizes across Division I have traditionally caused conflicts in the NCAA. He wants schools that have the ability to spend more on their athletes to be free do so.

The concern among some in college sports is that allowing the wealthiest schools to wield that power will create insurmountable competitive advantages.

Nothing extensively new, but the overall theme here is the decision makers are accepting that some current P5 programs will not be able to compete in the new era.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I find it almost funny that you think kids making 100k or more per year to play "college" football will do, or be required to do, anything related to academics.

How many players do you think actually make $100K. Some but not a lot. Do you think Calvin would have blown off his studies for $50 back in the day? I don’t. Lots of guys with NFL talent are smart individuals. If they can get into GT then they can do both.

It strikes me as odd that so many think thus is a binary system. You are either getting paid and don’t give a crap about anything else or you are a student who doesn’t care about money. False narrative.

Most of the players will never make a dime playing in the NFL even if they get NIL money. Lots will end up in the coaching profession which requires a degree.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Is that code for rehab?
200.gif

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I did NOT know that.

Wow. I'm letting this sink in.
All Division III schools are not allowed athletic scholarships. Having grown up next to Yale, and having played football with players who played for Yale, they don't get athletic scholarships, but they're all on full-ride scholarships of some sort.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
yeah, right. And if you believe that....
Take Harvard. Endowment is such that any student of need can go for free if they are accepted. Other students pay tuition on a graduated scale based on income. Harvard ends up being reasonable to pay for regardless of your income. Uber wealthy pay full tuition because they can afford it. Academic scholarships are for merit and are given accordingly.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
THE FLATS (April 28, 2023) – Keion White (Garner, N.C./Garner H.S.) became Georgia Tech's highest National Football League Draft pick in 11 years when the New England Patriots selected the Yellow Jackets' defensive end with the 15th pick of the second round (No. 46 overall) of the 2023 NFL Draft on Friday night in Kansas City.

46th overall was Tech's best in eleven years, folks. So, maybe we should just nip this NFL charade in the bud, okay? Our players are going to work after hanging up their pads.

What if we were to guarantee placement for our STEM majors in great paying jobs in GT alum-owned companies after graduation?

What if every kid in the country considering a degree in engineering or computer science, etc. wanted to play at Tech because of the job he would have?

If you're a decent 3* athlete with career aspirations, do you go to ECU? Or accept the scholly from Harvard because of the doors that diploma opens for you? Official visits to campus are restricted. What about plant trips?

We have an edge. Lets use it to our advantage.
Best in 11 years deserves an asterisk since we were running the triple and the investment in football was not present.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Just wait until AI enters sports. Calling plays, selecting players, recruiting, alloting playing time, etc...
No prob 57, Bama, uga, etc, will just one up that with the new Quantum Computers, because they ain't gonna be at any kind of disadvantage.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't know why the "money" schools would want this change. The advantage they have now is almost insurmountable for the non-money schools. The changes Baker suggested would run up the cost and not really change the competitive dynamics. Sankey's reaction was, to paraphrase, "WTF, how can you propose something like this and not talk to us 1st."