The effect of ND on the ACC

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
North / South alignment would suck.

Perhaps an East / West alignment of some kind would keep the interesting diversity of the conference intact.

Eastern: Miami, Syracuse, UConn, BC, Virginia, Clemson, NC State, Wake
Western: FSU, GT, Louisville, Notre Dame, Pittsburg, Duke, UNC, Virginia Tech

Tech could use the ACC rule that playing Clemson every year does not have to count on conference record since they are a traditional rival. If we wanted. Beyond that use the usual rotation. A lot I do not like about this alignment but it at least keeps us looking more like a national brand rather than a regional brand.

Truth is, however, I am not a fan of adding UConn. I would rather we brought in Penn State. If we must expand.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Truth is, however, I am not a fan of adding UConn. I would rather we brought in Penn State. If we must expand.

Penn St is bound up in the B1G Grant of Rights. Only realistic candidates are UConn, Cincy, & Navy. IMO, adding Navy would sweeten the pot for ND and allow them more flexibility in scheduling OOC games with theirother traditional opponents.

Perhaps an East / West alignment of some kind would keep the interesting diversity of the conference intact.

Eastern: Miami, Syracuse, UConn, BC, Virginia, Clemson, NC State, Wake
Western: FSU, GT, Louisville, Notre Dame, Pittsburg, Duke, UNC, Virginia Tech

I am a big fan of the Pod idea.

1: GT, VT, Syracuse, ND
2: Clemson, UVA, BC, Navy
3: FSU, UNC, Duke, Wake Forest
4: Miami, NCSU, Louisville, Pitt

You play all three opponents in your pod every year and two each from the other pods. Best two records in the ACCCG. You could assign a permanent crossover this way as well.

JacketintheBend

Georgia Tech Fan
ND will remain independent for as long as possible, and if compelled, join the ACC.
The fit is much better for them. GT, Duke, BC, Wake, UVa, Clemson and the Academy
all are strong academic institutions, as are UNC (except 4 that) and Syracuse (and that too).

ND will never affiliate with the B1G. Ever.
Michigan blocked it when they wanted it due to Fielding Yost's bias.
Michigan also avoided playing Rockne Parseghian and for the most part Leahy.
Bigoted chickens would about sum up how Domers feel about them.

We automatically become a far stronger conference if ND and Navy join us so I hope they do.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Michigan blocked it when they wanted it due to Fielding Yost's bias.

Because of my natural curiosity, I wanted to research this to learn more about Fielding Yost. He had an impressive career while at Michigan. It also opened my eyes to an unfortunate incident between Michigan involving GT and Willis Ward. I recognize it was more a reflection of the times however it was still disappointing in reading this about my alma mater, especially when you consider who some of the recent key players on our teams are. We have come a long way.[/QUOTE]

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Penn St is bound up in the B1G Grant of Rights. Only realistic candidates are UConn, Cincy, & Navy. IMO, adding Navy would sweeten the pot for ND and allow them more flexibility in scheduling OOC games with theirother traditional opponents.

You play all three opponents in your pod every year and two each from the other pods. Best two records in the ACCCG. You could assign a permanent crossover this way as well.

I love this model

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If they expand the conference, they should do away with permanent cross-division games. Just do a round robin and make if fair. We shouldn't have to play Clemson every year while VT plays BC.

I think they would probably keep the cross division game, but my guess is clemson would be moved to our division. There could be a swap up between the Carolina and Virginia teams.

It's a very similar problem recently confronted by the SEC. There is no way UNC and UVA won't play each other every year. They've done that every year since 1919, with the first game in 1892. Second longest continuous series in the ACC (first somehow being NC State - Wake Forest, which makes sense because I think Wake used to be located closer to NC St).

The issue is, if you do away with cross-division games, you pretty much have to keep all of the NC nucleus together, and you have to move Virginia along with them. Then you'd have to move VT to match Virginia. So that's six schools in the geographical middle. I guess you could add Clemson and GT to that mix and call it a day, but then you'd have FSU and Miami playing the northern teams.

Ultimately the only way to preserve the 100+ year old rivalries that makes any sense is to keep the cross division games. With a 16 team league, I think you'd see an additional ninth conference game combined with not everyone plays each other within the division. Something like 6+3. I'd also be in favor of 7+2, so you play everyone in the division, a permanent "rival," and then another team from the other division - chosen based on the relative strength of your "rival."

Put differently - our "rival" is Clemson. They finished second in their division last year, so this year we would play Syracuse as our other division game. Miami, who I think plays FSU, would play Wake. The only issue is that goes both ways, so it may have to be a 6+3 configuration - i.e., we would play Clemson, Syracuse (the counter to our cross divisional rival), and Louisville (as the counter to their cross division rival). May be too complicated, but at least it addresses scheduling difficulties.

Last edited:

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I think you'd have tremendous pushback from the North Carolina schools about this. UVA and UNC have to play each other every year, as do NCSU and Wake, etc.

thwuga

Georgia Tech Fan
I think if ND joined you'd see a complete reshuffle, along with an invitation to UConn or Cincy (probably UConn because of academics)

UConn is a joke of an athletic program and academics be damned (are they really that good anyway?) There is no chance they would be invited. This is an athletic conference not a literary league. If other considerations trump athletics, at least invite the Naval Academy. Fills in the DC gap, and I'm sure they have more wins vs. ranked teams than UConn and its two - yes, two. UConn also doesn't deliver any TV audience (don't give me basketball crap - ACC doesn't need their basketball eyes).

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
UConn is a joke of an athletic program and academics be damned (are they really that good anyway?) There is no chance they would be invited. This is an athletic conference not a literary league. If other considerations trump athletics, at least invite the Naval Academy. Fills in the DC gap, and I'm sure they have more wins vs. ranked teams than UConn and its two - yes, two. UConn also doesn't deliver any TV audience (don't give me basketball crap - ACC doesn't need their basketball eyes).

UConn would be a great add and fits with everything the ACC has tried to do. Pretty much all of the recent additions have been, at least in part, because of basketball - Louisville, Pitt, ND, Syracuse. Navy's basketball is so bad I can see that keeping them from an invitation. UConn won a national championship two years ago and is elite.

You don't pass up those opportunities, PARTICULARLY when Navy doesn't add much in football. We are already in the one state over DC market because of Virginia and VT. It's not like Navy has some giant foothold in the DC market. In fact, from the data I can find online, Maryland by far has the biggest presence in DC, followed by VTech, Virginia, Penn State, Michigan, and Notre Dame. Navy is WAY down the list.

Under a decent coach, UConn was an 8-9 football program for a number of years and made it to a BCS game. So their ceiling is higher than Navy's anyways.

Funny you mention TV ratings, because the closest thing I can find has UConn rated ahead of Navy in TV ratings by one spot. http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013...ball-tv-ratings-2013-regular-season-final-sec.

While I like Navy, it doesn't bring us much other than an average football team that runs the same offense as us. At least with UConn we get an elite basketball program which, despite your protestation otherwise, is a primary focus (and, in fact, the founding focus) of our conference.

http://commoncensus.org/sports_hotspot.php?radioDiameter=100&map.x=520&map.y=151&sport=5

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
No offense but thats kind of a wussy attitude
Yeah, but it's the attitude that made Johnny Vaught a winning football coach and national champion at Ole Miss. He always scheduled "9 patsies and Bama" (or LSU) and his teams were always good as a consequence.

My line on this is simple: I want Tech to win and win big. The more perennial top 20 teams there are on the schedule, the less likely that will be. UGA, FSU, and VT are quite enough.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think if ND joined you'd see a complete reshuffle, along with an invitation to UConn or Cincy (probably UConn because of academics)

I think then you'd see a redistricting of North/South as follows:

North: Syracuse, UConn, BC, Pitt, Virginia, VT, Louisville, ND

South: Miami, FSU, GT, Clem, Wake, Duke, UNC, State
Dunno about that. It loads up the South with strong teams and leaves the North with maybe two, three if BC comes along. Don't think the ADs would go for that.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, but it's the attitude that made Johnny Vaught a winning football coach and national champion at Ole Miss. He always scheduled "9 patsies and Bama" (or LSU) and his teams were always good as a consequence.

My line on this is simple: I want Tech to win and win big. The more perennial top 20 teams there are on the schedule, the less likely that will be. UGA, FSU, and VT are quite enough.

Yeah i understand where your going with it. Keep in mind though that ND has been overrated crap more often than not for the past 20 years or so.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck

I think then you'd see a redistricting of North/South as follows:

North: Syracuse, UConn, BC, Pitt, Virginia, VT, Louisville, ND

South: Miami, FSU, GT, Clem, Wake, Duke, UNC, State
That would make to much sense!

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
UCONN not an academically rigorous university. I went to HS in CT, and UCONN was my 4th choice, safety school. Not academically impressive as a whole.

It's not a great school but its up there in terms of schools we'd be adding. It's at the back end of the top tier if you define that as top 50 or so. Definitely better than Louisville. Navy from what I understand is a good school too though.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Dunno about that. It loads up the South with strong teams and leaves the North with maybe two, three if BC comes along. Don't think the ADs would go for that.

I could see moving UVA to the south and Miami to the north (i.e. the "Big East" division of the ACC), provided that there are permanent rivals between UVA and VT.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It's not a great school but its up there in terms of schools we'd be adding. It's at the back end of the top tier if you define that as top 50 or so. Definitely better than Louisville. Navy from what I understand is a good school too though.
I rescend my previous comment. It looks like UCONN has improved it's academics significantly in the past 30 years (just like their basketball program). Imagine that.