The effect of ND on the ACC

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I'm starting to think that having ND playing a ACC schedule is going to be very beneficial and fantastic publicity for the ACC in general. I realize that our upcoming game is getting a lot of attention because its a top 25 matchup, but the fact that we are playing ND is ratcheting the national attention way up there!

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I hope so. You know the first time they have a shot at the playoff's and get left out they will jump in

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If ND were to enter the ACC full time, they'd probably come in on Coastal side (historical games: GT, Pitt, Miami). I'd like to play them every year. I think it'd be fun to go to South Bend every other year. They'd keep USCw and Navy as OOC for sure. They'd have a tough schedule, for sure.

I think if ND joined you'd see a complete reshuffle, along with an invitation to UConn or Cincy (probably UConn because of academics)

I think then you'd see a redistricting of North/South as follows:

North: Syracuse, UConn, BC, Pitt, Virginia, VT, Louisville, ND

South: Miami, FSU, GT, Clem, Wake, Duke, UNC, State

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I actually think it may be better if they stay on the fence (for us), because they get to play teams that they would not play if they were in the ACC. It would make our victories over ND more significant. If they beat a ranked USCw and lose to GT it discredits the bias that other teams get on the west coast.
They'd still get 4 noncon games if they were full in.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
They'd still get 4 noncon games if they were full in.

I know, but it would make scheduling USCw and Standford more difficult for them. I am not sure they would be able to keep the games that would have national implications. I thought that was a contributing factor to not going completely to the ACC.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I was apprehensive about ND coming into the ACC and I still am. This is the most successful football program in history. They played for the national championship just two years ago. Imho, what with FSU and VT, we've got enough teams like that in the ACC. These guys are just like Mercedes-Benz in auto racing; if they decide to do it, it'll get done. I'd just as soon not give them a chance to get the track under their tires.

But … that ship has sailed. I want to minimize the number of times Tech has to play them, however. Keeping them on the border of the conference in football suits me just fine, thanks.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'd love to see Fluke get ND every year and lose the BC or Wake game. When (not if) ND plays in the ACC football, there should be a reorg of conferences to balance the historic power rankings .... Is there a problem that the ACC is more a basketball conference and than a football conference?

I was apprehensive about ND coming into the ACC and I still am. This is the most successful football program in history. .......

What is the factual basis for this statement? I haven't looked at ND power rankings for the last 110 years like I have GT's. I would be surprised if ND had the best power ranking average over the last 110 years. Maybe tenth. I'd expect it to be an SEC team (like we used to be when we were really good). And I don't consider winning percentage to be the right metric since that doesn't bring strength of schedule in to account.....

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I was apprehensive about ND coming into the ACC and I still am. This is the most successful football program in history. They played for the national championship just two years ago. Imho, what with FSU and VT, we've got enough teams like that in the ACC. These guys are just like Mercedes-Benz in auto racing; if they decide to do it, it'll get done. I'd just as soon not give them a chance to get the track under their tires.

But … that ship has sailed. I want to minimize the number of times Tech has to play them, however. Keeping them on the border of the conference in football suits me just fine, thanks.

No offense but thats kind of a wussy attitude

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If they expand the conference, they should do away with permanent cross-division games. Just do a round robin and make if fair. We shouldn't have to play Clemson every year while VT plays BC.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Whether Notre Dame would admit it or not, their affiliation with the ACC, at least regarding College Football is concerned, might be more advantageous (this season, at least) than it would have been if they would have gone with the BIG 10 because the ACC is might be giving them a better Strength of Schedule they can present to a Playoff Committee as an Independant than the BIG would with GA Tech, Clemson, and FSU as opponents whereas they might get Ohio State and Michigan State and possibly Wisconsin. Interesting to think about from a National perception as I think our three teams stack up quite well with those from the Big by the time the end of the winds down.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think if ND joined you'd see a complete reshuffle, along with an invitation to UConn or Cincy (probably UConn because of academics)

I think then you'd see a redistricting of North/South as follows:

North: Syracuse, UConn, BC, Pitt, Virginia, VT, Louisville, ND

South: Miami, FSU, GT, Clem, Wake, Duke, UNC, State
swap miami and conn to even it up a bit