The "Collins effect "........

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
We'll know in a year.
I have a B.E.E. Degree but am real impressed by the Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts. Everyone should review what’s offered there both undergraduate and graduate majors. Very broad and can really prepare students for our world today.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I have a B.E.E. Degree but am real impressed by the Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts. Everyone should review what’s offered there both undergraduate and graduate majors. Very broad and can really prepare students for our world today.

Why did you reply to me?

My point was that there is data to support both an optimistic and a business as usual prediction on recruiting. Neither side is stupid or evil.

We'll know how good recruiting will be under cgc next year.

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
Why did you reply to me?

My point was that there is data to support both an optimistic and a business as usual prediction on recruiting. Neither side is stupid or evil.

We'll know how good recruiting will be under cgc next year.
I wasn’t replying to you. Sorry was pointing out to others earlier about broad curriculum.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Nope. First is limited majors, second is academic rigor, third isibeing way behindbwith regardrto facilities etce fourth is running an honest program. Blaming the scheme is an easy cover for the other realities.
Too easy of an answer. It depends on the kid. I doubt limited majors is first for many simply because most athletes probably don’t know what majors we have that early in the process. My guess is that for most it would be what they have heard about academic rigor and what they and their coach have seen or think (or thought) about our schemes. The others come later if they get past the first two and learn more about us.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
LOTS of good info in that interview:

-Going to fit scheme to players not the other way around. Current guys will be utilized to their talents, and could be used multiple ways. No round hole square pegs syndrome.

-Will make coaching announcements after Temple's bowl game. Pretty much a big clue that his OC is coming down to Atlanta.

-Returning ABs already trying to sell themselves as slot WRs to CGC...lol. Made a comment that "I never saw you guys at slot receiver"...which means he probably didn't understand the AB position. Sounds like our ABs need to put together a HUDL tape for CGC!

-Has made it a point to have Atlanta as a recruiting territory no matter where he's coached. That will pay off immensely for GT.

-Absolutely, 100% not backing away from putting GT in the elite category. Never says "GT will be elite." Continues to push "GT IS elite". Love it.

-Coached on the same staff as Kirby Smart and Jeremy Pruitt. Probably will be recruiting against them a LOT in the coming years.

-Gives hints that GT will be very active and will have a social media presence that will get attention, especially in Atlanta.

-Outside of the interview, listening to the hosts you get the feeling the whole "GT is respected more out of state than in GA" thing we always talk about is real.

Worth the 10-15 minutes to listen to.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think anyone in this forum, or any other for that matter, would say that ANY coach could take ANY school to elite levels “without the proper backing.” Not Collins, not Saban, not Smart, not nobody. Why would anyone think that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Because there were a lot of people on different forums that expected more from CPJ without proper backing.

sc jacket 22

Jolly Good Fellow

-Going to fit scheme to players not the other way around. Current guys will be utilized to their talents, and could be used multiple ways. No round hole square pegs syndrome.

-Will make coaching announcements after Temple's bowl game. Pretty much a big clue that his OC is coming down to Atlanta.

-Returning ABs already trying to sell themselves as slot WRs to CGC...lol. Made a comment that "I never saw you guys at slot receiver"...which means he probably didn't understand the AB position. Sounds like our ABs need to put together a HUDL tape for CGC!

-Has made it a point to have Atlanta as a recruiting territory no matter where he's coached. That will pay off immensely for GT.

-Absolutely, 100% not backing away from putting GT in the elite category. Never says "GT will be elite." Continues to push "GT IS elite". Love it.

-Coached on the same staff as Kirby Smart and Jeremy Pruitt. Probably will be recruiting against them a LOT in the coming years.

-Gives hints that GT will be very active and will have a social media presence that will get attention, especially in Atlanta.

-Outside of the interview, listening to the hosts you get the feeling the whole "GT is respected more out of state than in GA" thing we always talk about is real.

I like how he consistently refers to the Tech job as his “dream job.” He could be blowing smoke for all we know, but I’m willing to hear it as long as he’ll say it.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer

Going to fit scheme to players not the other way around? Current guys will be utilized to their talents, and could be used multiple ways?

If Coach Collins means what he says, it sounds like to me it would be an RPO (run-pass-option) type of spread offense.

I certainly hope so! What do y’all think?

On the other hand, was he talking about the defense? I dunno ...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Going to fit scheme to players not the other way around? Current guys will be utilized to their talents, and could be used multiple ways?

If Coach Collins means what he says, it sounds like to me it would be an RPO (run-pass-option) type of spread offense.

Pretty likely as imo we are too slow and short at wr to play air raid. Need depth w speed as well.
I hope we can pass enough to give the running some space. The other d c will be watching to see if our wr can get open w single coverage. If not they will load the box like before. Ugh.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Pretty likely as imo we are too slow and short at wr to play air raid. Need depth w speed as well.
I hope we can pass enough to give the running some space. The other d c will be watching to see if our wr can get open w single coverage. If not they will load the box like before. Ugh.
Agree. But I am hoping we can put some guys - Tobias , and Cottrell, for instance, who can stretch the field enough to get a few defensive guys out of the box , until guys like Brown can get on the field. Plus having a TE that can get open over the middle may work too.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I wrote in in another thread (maybe this one...too lazy to track it, lol) but look at Patenaude's OC tenure at Coastal Carolina. The guy ran spread, RPO, option (triple, speed option, Inside and Outside zone reads, etc). He's going to make his offense work with the athletes he has on hand.

This is the way I look at CGC's OC:

CGC is a defensive guy. A good one at that. What does that mean? That means he's looking at offenses with a DC's eyes. This is the story I'll relate to that. Bill Belicheck use to go to Navy to breakdown CPJ's run game. Someone once asked why he did that, and the answer someone gave him was "Belichek is probably trying to figure out a way to defend it." Belicheck is a defensive guy. Defensive guys look at offenses in terms of how do I stop it? What challenges does it present? Would I want to face it?

I really like what Patenaude did at Coastal Carolina. There was a season where multiple QBs and RBs went down and CC still put up big numbers. The athletes GT will get will be multiple times what he's been able to work with at CC and Temple. He's putting the ball in his playmakers hands.

I think it's going to be fun to watch...and I really think it's going to excite recruits as well.

https://notredame.rivals.com/news/film-room-inside-look-at-temple-s-offense

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We will be good on fly and post but the rpo has lots of short passes.

1. The ol has all kinds of blocking calls in our offense that qb and ol Capt has to signal based on line up of front 7

2. In the rpo the qb and wr need to be on same page about routes verse back 7.

Got to learn very fast.