The "Collins effect "........

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Why would i give money if i thought we were going backwards. One of the reasons CPJ is gone now is many people wouldn't give money anymore

Did you miss the fact that he RETIRED and was not fired? I think the main reason he’s not here anymore is because it was damn frustrating coaching a team when half of your fans are actively rooting against you because they don’t like your offensive style even though it was worlds better than the previous regime’s.

herb

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what the Collins effect is, but I have a pretty good idea what the Ford Raptor effect is. Apparently a Ford Raptor is this generations Trans Am

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
From the Norcross Head Coach.
“The biggest thing that I think is going to help Georgia Tech now is the other schools can’t come in and say, ‘Well, you’re going to get cut (blocked) your whole career on defense,’” Maloof said. “I think that’s going to help, if Tech plays their cards right. That’s going to help Tech get that pro-style defensive player that they haven’t been able to get in recent years, especially at linebacker and D-line.”

This supports my comments in another thread stating that Tech can overcome its academic requirements far more easily than it can overcome the triple-option scheme. If you apply manufacturing 'contraints-based' logic and ask "if I could only improve ONE thing that would have the greatest impact on improving recruiting at GT?" I believe would point to the scheme and not academics. With multiple coaches quoted in the article all saying pretty much the same thing, I think we should expect an uptick in recruiting results with the new coach. Of course, GTAA budget for recruiting is a significant factor but coaches that are in the metro ATL area are providing these comments and recruiting budget would not be a limiting factor.

Animal02

Banned
This supports my comments in another thread stating that Tech can overcome its academic requirements far more easily than it can overcome the triple-option scheme. If you apply manufacturing 'contraints-based' logic and ask "if I could only improve ONE thing that would have the greatest impact on improving recruiting at GT?" I believe would point to the scheme and not academics. With multiple coaches quoted in the article all saying pretty much the same thing, I think we should expect an uptick in recruiting results with the new coach. Of course, GTAA budget for recruiting is a significant factor but coaches that are in the metro ATL area are providing these comments and recruiting budget would not be a limiting factor.
You expect them to say "my kids can't hack it at Tech"? It was an easy excuse to hide behind. And latched on to by a small vocal minority of "fans". :rolleyes:

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
You expect them to say "my kids can't hack it at Tech"? It was an easy excuse to hide behind. And latched on to by a small vocal minority of "fans". :rolleyes:

You may be right that the scheme gets thrown out as a cover for the real reason. I haven't heard any player or coach say that calculus scared them away, though. Without evidence that academics are a true hurdle (other than just used against us by other coaches) and that there isn't much being said about coaches or players saying (to my knowledge) they would have committed to us "if only someone had contacted them or followed up" (relevant to recruiting budget) I think it is fair to ponder the impact of our scheme on recruiting.

Keep in mind that I am someone that defended CPJ to detractors in prior years and supported the idea of the offense being an equalizer. After 11 years, I think we should be able to agree that it's effects were helpful, but not enough to impress recruits, coaches, donors, fans and the media.

Animal02

Banned
You may be right that the scheme gets thrown out as a cover for the real reason. I haven't heard any player or coach say that calculus scared them away, though. Without evidence that academics are a true hurdle (other than just used against us by other coaches) and that there isn't much being said about coaches or players saying (to my knowledge) they would have committed to us "if only someone had contacted them or followed up" (relevant to recruiting budget) I think it is fair to ponder the impact of our scheme on recruiting.

Keep in mind that I am someone that defended CPJ to detractors in prior years and supported the idea of the offense being an equalizer. After 11 years, I think we should be able to agree that it's effects were helpful, but not enough to impress recruits, coaches, donors, fans and the media.
Kids that think they are NFL bound don't have any intention of really studying. The limited majors is also a huge hurdle. As for CPJ...I think in the end, between the lack of funding and the rules changes that were aimed specifically at his O, I think he got fed up.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow

Stem degrees scare kids. That's why there's a nationwide effort to recruit and develop them. No matter what your degree is in, I consider a Tech degree to be STEM-centric.
My daughter (currently a hs senior) scored a 35 in math on the ACT. She prefers to pursue something other than a math-heavy degree. I couldn't convince her to even apply to GT. Math is hard. Even super smart kids are reluctant to keep getting their teeth kicked in by it. If you're a four or five star athlete, with other options, why would you want dental work?
So, yes, calculus does scare recruits away.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
You can't have it both ways

Once you give the HC and not the Academic support Staff credit for raising APR & Grad rates, then you have to trust that HC's judgment

CPJ offered these players during their Sr yr, unless something crazy happened, CPJ expected them to pass the Hill, get accepted and be able to graduate from GT

CPJ offered 26 of the 39, if you're gonna applaud him for APR and Grad rate then trust his judgment that they would qualify

GT Fans never wants to scapegoat the school, the Alums or the Coaches WRT recruiting, so the narrative becomes our BS in Business Degree is so hard that it scares away talented recruits or that talented recruits are lazy and just want waste time until they are draft eligible

This is a load of crap
Most offers are made pending the October and December ACT results. Also, they want to know your curriculum and GPA after finishing your Sr year first semester of high school. My son lost an academic scholarship because he made a c during his first semester of his senior year. So yes, all offers are conditional. You're out of touch.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Did you miss the fact that he RETIRED and was not fired? I think the main reason he’s not here anymore is because it was damn frustrating coaching a team when half of your fans are actively rooting against you because they don’t like your offensive style even though it was worlds better than the previous regime’s.
Half your fans? Really? The couple of years we won 11 and went to the Orange Bowl, heck even 3 years ago when we beat UGAg and Kentucky to end the season, I don't think the offense was a problem to people, certainly not half the fans. Going 5-6 and 7-5 and getting your teeth kicked in by UGAg and Clemson, your major rivals, brings out the complaints. 'What have you done for me lately" is the mindset of EVERY college fan base. We're actually MORE patient at Tech.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Stem degrees scare kids. That's why there's a nationwide effort to recruit and develop them. No matter what your degree is in, I consider a Tech degree to be STEM-centric.
My daughter (currently a hs senior) scored a 35 in math on the ACT. She prefers to pursue something other than a math-heavy degree. I couldn't convince her to even apply to GT. Math is hard. Even super smart kids are reluctant to keep getting their teeth kicked in by it. If you're a four or five star athlete, with other options, why would you want dental work?
So, yes, calculus does scare recruits away.

I will end by saying that I agree that academics are a hurdle but not as much of a hurdle as our offensive scheme. In the same scenario you present where 4 & 5 star recruits consider options, which factor eliminates GT first? Academics or triple option. I believe it is the scheme. The "Collins effect" is to draw attention to what is new and different now (scheme) and sell the advantages of what remains (academics). It makes a lot of sense to me.

Animal02

Banned
I will end by saying that I agree that academics are a hurdle but not as much of a hurdle as our offensive scheme. In the same scenario you present where 4 & 5 star recruits consider options, which factor eliminates GT first? Academics or triple option. I believe it is the scheme. The "Collins effect" is to draw attention to what is new and different now (scheme) and sell the advantages of what remains (academics). It makes a lot of sense to me.
Nope. First is limited majors, second is academic rigor, third isibeing way behindbwith regardrto facilities etce fourth is running an honest program. Blaming the scheme is an easy cover for the other realities.