The "Collins effect "........

Compare the PLAYERS under Gaileys teams to Paul Johnson's and you will see Gailey recruited much better. Not talking about rankings. Gailey recruited way better talent
Gailey recruited players for HIS system; Johnson recruited players for HIS system. That's like the proverbial comparison between apples and oranges. The fact that Gailey's players performed as well as, if not better in Johnson's system than in Gailey's, tells me Gailey wasn't much of a coach. The fact that Johnson could use those same players to win the ACC in 2009 tells me Johnson was a better coach. Then when Johnson finally had a full roster of HIS players, he won big with them, with the exception of '15 and '17 when for various reasons not due to coaching, they couldn't get it done.

slugboy

Staff member
Compare the PLAYERS under Gaileys teams to Paul Johnson's and you will see Gailey recruited much better. Not talking about rankings. Gailey recruited way better talent

If he recruited WAY better talent, why was he always 7-5, and why couldn’t he end a single season with his team ranked?

If you tell me the ACC is down now compared to 2005, when we have about the same number of ranked teams, I won’t be impressed. If anything, the coaching, recruiting, and competition in the ACC is stronger now than it was then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
If he recruited WAY better talent, why was he always 7-5, and why couldn’t he end a single season with his team ranked?

If you tell me the ACC is down now compared to 2005, when we have about the same number of ranked teams, I won’t be impressed. If anything, the coaching, recruiting, and competition in the ACC is stronger now than it was then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Um because of coaching. Paul johnson was a better coach than gailey

Great article that proves once again CPJ hurt our recruting on offense and defense
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...y-about-geoff-collins/oeelE24cbEcFeovOhJAqcL/
So what about this from the article? "...head coach at Norcross, Keith Maloof, said that Tech’s recruitment of defensive players could improve because of the negative recruiting that Tech absorbed from rival coaches." According to that coach, and this is something I have been saying all along, it wasn't Johnson's recruiting, it was the rivals' anti-recruiting. Did it work? Well, duhh, yes, it worked, just like Wally Butts' leaving calculus books in Tech recruits' living rooms with a note saying, "Do you really want to have to take this stuff?" worked. Because some players fell for that, was it a matter of Dodd not recruiting well? Of course not, nor was it a matter of Johnson not recruiting well. He tried as much as any coach, but the rivals' coaches obviously had a greater impact on his recruiting than they did against Dodd. Johnson, however, could recruit players for his offense who wouldn't sniff the field with our rivals. And he was able to coach them up well enough to have some pretty big wins during his eleven years on the Flats. Where the rivals' antics did hurt us, unfortunately, was in recruiting the best defensive players, and we lost far more games during Johnson's tenure due to poor defense than to poor offense.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Either way almost every GT message board is unbearable right now with the CPJers losing their minds

Great article that proves once again CPJ hurt our recruting on offense and defense
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...y-about-geoff-collins/oeelE24cbEcFeovOhJAqcL/

From the Norcross Head Coach.
“The biggest thing that I think is going to help Georgia Tech now is the other schools can’t come in and say, ‘Well, you’re going to get cut (blocked) your whole career on defense,’” Maloof said. “I think that’s going to help, if Tech plays their cards right. That’s going to help Tech get that pro-style defensive player that they haven’t been able to get in recent years, especially at linebacker and D-line.”

Um because of coaching. Paul johnson was a better coach than gailey

You just cant talk about anything without taking about CPJ. Pretty hysterical how fixated you are.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
You care about GT ??? And yet you said several months ago that you would not continue to contribute to GT as long as CPJ was coach. You call that caring about GT? WOW !!!
Why would i give money if i thought we were going backwards. One of the reasons CPJ is gone now is many people wouldn't give money anymore

Why would i give money if i thought we were going backwards. One of the reasons CPJ is gone now is many people wouldn't give money anymore
To find ANY reason not to give money is proof positive that a person doesn't care about GT. And how do you know that "many people wouldn't give money anymore" and that that is a reason CPJ is gone? Give me some documented proof, or keep your effing thoughts to yourself.