The "Collins effect "........

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Our new coach seems , at this point, to be able to create a lot more interest in the program by radio interviews, assistant hiring questions, offensive and defensive changes, etc. He is the proverbial NEW KID IN TOWN ( cue The Eagles song of the same name).
I even saw 2 articles about Dwag football , AND 2 articles about TECH football in the AJC today !!
Of course , the question is , how long it will last. IMO, his energy and personality will be an improvement over the " current" regime. But talk and energy will only get you so far . The test comes for me in year 2. Give him year one to get his feet wet ( 5-7 to 7-5 is my guess ). Then , in year two , there best be IMPROVEMENT, even by one game. If there is a slide .......look out !! No pressure, though LOLo_O
What say you ??

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
. IMO, his energy and personality will be an improvement over the " current" regime. But talk and energy will only get you so far . No pressure, though LOLo_O
What say you ??

I will say that this hire has been the best received of all of them in my tenure as a GT fan (I started watching when Pepper was the coach but after his hire). IMO, when fans talk about personality, they are talking about a symptom vs. the disease itself. Notice how CPJ went from "no BS, straight shooter, tell it like it is" to "grumpy curmudgeon who harms GT with his lack of media skills"? Did Paul change...not really but his trend line was down. CBC went from the "silver haired whacko" to one "who had lost his focus on the program". Same thing with Hewitt. same thing with Pepper. Rinse, lather, repeat.

It will be the same for this guy. Any discussion about the superficial will indicate an underlying dissatisfaction with the bottom line.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I will say that this hire has been the best received of all of them in my tenure as a GT fan (I started watching when Pepper was the coach but after his hire). IMO, when fans talk about personality, they are talking about a symptom vs. the disease itself. Notice how CPJ went from "no BS, straight shooter, tell it like it is" to "grumpy curmudgeon who harms GT with his lack of media skills"? Did Paul change...not really but his trend line was down. CBC went from the "silver haired whacko" to one "who had lost his focus on the program". Same thing with Hewitt. same thing with Pepper. Rinse, lather, repeat.

It will be the same for this guy. Any discussion about the superficial will indicate an underlying dissatisfaction with the bottom line.
I agree. Curry generated some interest too, IIRC, but times were different back then.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
The test comes for me in year 2. Give him year one to get his feet wet ( 5-7 to 7-5 is my guess ). Then , in year two , there best be IMPROVEMENT

Year 2 looks brutal from where were are now. Why you may ask. Well, we will play 4 of the top 8 CFP teams that's why. At uga and home vs Clempson, UCF and Notre Dame. Add in our Divisional rivals in der U and Virginia Poly, and it makes one hell of a schedule.

Looking forward to shocking the experts and having a great year though!

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Year 2 looks brutal from where were are now. Why you may ask. Well, we will play 4 of the top 8 CFP teams that's why. At uga and home vs Clempson, UCF and Notre Dame. Add in our Divisional rivals in der U and Virginia Poly, and it makes one hell of a schedule.

Looking forward to shocking the experts and having a great year though!
I think we will exceed expectations. We have got some good players currently on the team.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
People seem to love him after he's moved on, and locker room video of him surprising the walk-on with a scholarship is gold. I think he's authentic and won't change. That said, he has moved from stop to stop regularly and only has 2 years at HC. Not an uncommon thing in the football world, but it leaves a lot of unknown if he will build and sustain a program. He's going to have more leeway in judging results from the beginning due to radical system change and roster management difference, but the leash is not indefinite especially if recruiting doesn't get the upgrade we anticipate. But I think we'll be fine.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
People seem to love him after he's moved on, and locker room video of him surprising the walk-on with a scholarship is gold. I think he's authentic and won't change. That said, he has moved from stop to stop regularly and only has 2 years at HC. Not an uncommon thing in the football world, but it leaves a lot of unknown if he will build and sustain a program. He's going to have more leeway in judging results from the beginning due to radical system change and roster management difference, but the leash is not indefinite especially if recruiting doesn't get the upgrade we anticipate. But I think we'll be fine.
Agreed !! I trust TStan to have done his due diligence. Is it a bit of a gamble ? Sure, for the reasons you stated. But I like our odds.

Animal02

Banned

Yep......I am too old (well not Supersize old), to get a school girl crush on a new coach hire like so many posters here, and have seen far worse at Tech than the noobs that claim the last few years were the lowest Tech has ever been. Rah Rah's will not get you very far if you cannot produce. Seen too many salesmen type that were all hat and not horse so to speak. I do not get why people are so willing to give a new coach years to "change things around". The program is not a disaster.......it just needs a tuneup

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Yep......I am too old (well not Supersize old), to get a school girl crush on a new coach hire like so many posters here, and have seen far worse at Tech than the noobs that claim the last few years were the lowest Tech has ever been. Rah Rah's will not get you very far if you cannot produce. Seen too many salesmen type that were all hat and not horse so to speak. I do not get why people are so willing to give a new coach years to "change things around". The program is not a disaster.......it just needs a tuneup
IF we were a dumpster fire , think Louisville , Kansas, UNC that would be one thing, but we have got some talent , especially at QB, RB , DB and ST, IMO.

I'll expect another beer in Detroit for that one. :p

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Although it helps to have an excited and positive fan base, it matters less what fans think than the level of excitement the players have. Getting players motivated and optimistic means they get committed and bought in 100%, and are pumped about doing their part in the offseason. And this will help the roster transition big time. He is already selling this to the players in the interview he did on 680, talking about how being versatile helps you get an NFL contract.

I don't get the whole 'all talk, used car salesman' characterization from some. I don't see that someone who has a vision and is gifted at expressing it and willing to market it = phony actor automatically. Yes, the product on the field and off the field as graduates and quality men is the bottom line. That will be judged in time. Right now, there's no reason to think this isn't a really good hire.

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
When PJ was hired, it was the same in terms of coverage from media at the outset. Things went downhill much later.

Things really turned for CPJ when we lost the game to the dwags in 2009. Had we won that game, the media would have had sufficient cover with the dwag horde to be even more supportive. That was followed up by the dud Frozen Orange bowl against Iowa and soon after NCAA probation. Then 4 meh years on the field followed.
The media has to be very careful not to run off the dwag fanbase and that fanbase thrives on being the premier program in the state. PJs support eroded once the media realized he wasnt going to topple the dwags from the top. Coverage reverted to the mean and then eroded further.
I am very hopeful for Collins, but he is running on hype and excitement right now and those things fade quickly. The cautionary tale for him is Dan Quinn with the falcons.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Although it helps to have an excited and positive fan base, it matters less what fans think than the level of excitement the players have. Getting players motivated and optimistic means they get committed and bought in 100%, and are pumped about doing their part in the offseason. And this will help the roster transition big time. He is already selling this to the players in the interview he did on 680, talking about how being versatile helps you get an NFL contract.

I don't get the whole 'all talk, used car salesman' characterization from some. I don't see that someone who has a vision and is gifted at expressing it and willing to market it = phony actor automatically. Yes, the product on the field and off the field as graduates and quality men is the bottom line. That will be judged in time. Right now, there's no reason to think this isn't a really good hire.
Complete agreement !

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Notice how CPJ went from "no BS, straight shooter, tell it like it is" to "grumpy curmudgeon who harms GT with his lack of media skills"? Did Paul change...not really but his trend line was down. CBC went from the "silver haired whacko" to one "who had lost his focus on the program". Same thing with Hewitt. same thing with Pepper. Rinse, lather, repeat.

This is just human nature; and sports media outlets tend to look at your personality through the lens of win and losses.

If Collins has 4 straight losing seasons he'll be branded as "The used-car salesman who talks a big game but doesn't deliver". Energy is infectious, though, and I hope his energy level can bring an infusion of excitement into the fanbase that translates into wins on the field.

I'm glad we didn't hire Dino Babers. Between him and D-Mo I probably would've died doing something stupid like running through a window screaming, "whose house? our house!!!" (I would've died because my wife would've let me bleed out on the lawn and not call 9-1-1 as punishment)