The Changing Face of Football in America

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is probably behind a paywall but it is a really fascinating article on how football is changing in America in terms of demographics, geographics, and even how the sport itself is played from an early age.

The top line is that participation in football has been decreasing steadily for a decade.

Participation has fallen 17 percent since 2006, when more than 1.1 million boys played the sport, a larger decline than any of the other top 10 most popular boys’ sports. Participation in tackle football among kids ages 6 to 12 fell 13 percent from 2019 to 2022, according to annual survey data from the Sports and Fitness Industry Association (SFIA).

In the last 10 years only 2 states have seen an increase in the number of youth playing football - AL and Miss. Even in TX participation has dropped 12% over the last decade.

An individual is much more likely to be playing football if they live in the South, Midwest, or Central Plains parts of the US, than if they live in the NE, Mid-Atlantic, or West Coast. The higher rates of football participation are almost exclusively in states with medium household incomes below the national average. The highest participation rates are in the Deep South.

Among kids and teens, White and Black males are playing tackle football at declining rates, while Hispanic boys increasingly take up the sport. In college, the proportion of White players is declining, and that of Black players rising, at faster rates than national demographic changes.

Participation from 2014 to 2022 by white kids has declined from 10% to 7.5%. Black participation has declined from 16% to 11%, Hispanic participation has increased from 4% to 7%.

At the college level the percentage of white football players has dropped from 55% to 44% while the percentage of black players has increased from 36% to 40%. The share of players who identify as multiple races has increased from 2% to 6%.

Overall they are seeing football being played much less in wealthier communities and rising in impoverished communities.

The other big change is the movement to flag football instead of tackle football across America (something that the NFL has supported with its NFL Flag program).

Eight states have sanctioned girls’ flag football as an interscholastic sport at the high school level, and as many as 20 more are considering similar steps. Flag football will be a sport at the 2028 Olympics.

In 2017 particpation in flag football surpassed tackle football in youth leagues for the first time - 1M vs 725K for kids 6-12.

Flag football is seen as less expensive, less dangerous, and more inclusive (there are many girls flag football leagues). It is also much more prevalent in wealthy, white communities.

When the Aspen Institute surveyed children in grades 3 through 12, it found that White children played flag football at a significantly higher rate than they played tackle, while the opposite was true for Black children.

6 states have introduced bills that would ban tackle football for children younger than 12. None of have passed yet.

The biggest driver for these changes is obviously CTE. Families from wealthier backgrounds are now largely encouraging their kids not to play tackle football, while poorer kids still see it as their best way out of poverty.

NFL has largely been trying to walk a tight rope to prevent continued declines in participation - encouraging flag football at an early age and then hoping to convert kids to tackle football later on.

“The future of football,” top NFL executives have declared publicly several times in recent months, “is flag.”

Some have questioned whether the NFL can ever completely reject youth tackle football, because of the implicit message it would send. “Banning tackle football for kids until high school becomes the warning label on the cigarettes,” documentary filmmaker Sean Pamphilon said during an Aspen Institute panel. “It will impact the way we see the game once we truly are honest about the way it impacts human beings of any age.”

These are just sort of the top line takeaways from the article. There is alot more in depth discussion if you can read it.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
With high-profile players like Barry Sanders, Calvin Johnson, and now a well-known Teddy Bridgewater retiring early, it's not helping the game.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is in the article, I think tackle football's days should be numbered.

"Still, the evidence of a link between football and brain trauma only gets stronger. Earlier this year, researchers at Boston University said CTE had been found in the brains of 345 of the 376 (92 percent) former NFL players they studied. And despite rule changes and safety measures, the NFL in 2022 reported an 18 percent rise in concussions, year over year.

“All these safety advances are offset by the fact the athletes are bigger, stronger and faster,” said Chris Nowinski, a neuroscientist and former football player at Harvard who is now CEO of the Concussion Legacy Foundation. “When people point to fewer deaths and fewer catastrophic injuries, what they fail to note is that medicine is dramatically better than it used to be. It’s not that football is safer — it’s that medicine is better.”"

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
I can whole heartedly say I had a lot of fun playing football but completely regret it.
3 official concussions, but many others that I hid from the med staff so that I could keep playing (this was the norm). I’ve had memory problems ever since, and at one point significant speech problems, that still linger somewhat (the drinking doesn’t help). I often used my head as a weapon, which is 100% my fault. But I was also blindsided to oblivion multiple times, which left me struggling to stand up straight. It’s no way to treat a brain, and unless they make massive changes to helmets I’ll be discouraging any future children of mine from playing.
All the respect to our boys in gold, but there is a huge deal with the devil you make when playing this glorious game.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
In my area the younger kids are playing soccer and the more athletic kids move on to high school soccer rather than football. The football team is mostly black kids now with a few white kids. In my state HS football and HS soccer are both played in the fall which forces kids to pick one or the other. The "tough" soccer kids tend to play lacrosse in the spring.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
This is in the article, I think tackle football's days should be numbered.

"Still, the evidence of a link between football and brain trauma only gets stronger. Earlier this year, researchers at Boston University said CTE had been found in the brains of 345 of the 376 (92 percent) former NFL players they studied. And despite rule changes and safety measures, the NFL in 2022 reported an 18 percent rise in concussions, year over year.

“All these safety advances are offset by the fact the athletes are bigger, stronger and faster,” said Chris Nowinski, a neuroscientist and former football player at Harvard who is now CEO of the Concussion Legacy Foundation. “When people point to fewer deaths and fewer catastrophic injuries, what they fail to note is that medicine is dramatically better than it used to be. It’s not that football is safer — it’s that medicine is better.”"
I played rugby at Tech and managed to sustain only one concussion, but it's pretty weird having no memory of the actual injury or about half the game that, per reports from others, I continued to play in.

I will say that the big problem I have with the CTE stuff is that it's a pathological diagnosis that is often conflated or equated in the media with being a clinical diagnosis. What I mean is that while it's true that someone performing an autopsy can often identify tissue changes in the brain (e.g. CTE) associated with contact sports like boxing and football, I have still yet to see a clear correlation between playing football and actual clinical problems that should be concerning like depression and suicidality, for example.

Here's a relatively large longitudinal study of high school football players that showed no correlation with adverse psychiatric outcomes: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35222232/

I like this research piece because it's not retrospective which can lead to difficulties distinguishing associations from causations.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I can whole heartedly say I had a lot of fun playing football but completely regret it.
3 official concussions, but many others that I hid from the med staff so that I could keep playing (this was the norm). I’ve had memory problems ever since, and at one point significant speech problems, that still linger somewhat (the drinking doesn’t help). I often used my head as a weapon, which is 100% my fault. But I was also blindsided to oblivion multiple times, which left me struggling to stand up straight. It’s no way to treat a brain, and unless they make massive changes to helmets I’ll be discouraging any future children of mine from playing.
All the respect to our boys in gold, but there is a huge deal with the devil you make when playing this glorious game.

I played football from middle school through high school. I tell people all the time if I had to do it over again I would have played baseball or soccer instead. I was really good at baseball, but gave it up to concentrate on football due to access and time commitment required of my parents in baseball. Soccer wasn't that big back then, not like it is now, and kids in my neighborhood just didn't play it.

Like you, I remember getting my bell rung multiple times every season, but would continue because "being tough" was the culture in our program. My school had a very good football program. We didn't lose a region game all 4 years of my career. A winning culture comes with certain things, and one of it was staying on the field to help your teammates if you were still able to stand. I remember multiple games and practices playing in a "fog" and just trying to get through it play by play. Knowing what we know now, that's just a stupid thing given the long term impact of head trauma.

It was some of the best times of my life, and I've made many lifelong friends because of football. However, it came at a price.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
The other day I watched one of the girls high school flag football championship games on GPTV. I predict in 5 years there will be female flag football as a college sport. It was pretty entertaining to watch.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Everything changes in life, doesn’t it.

I was a big boxing fan years ago but haven’t watched it in several decades and have no interest. Seeing dementia in my retired heroes spoiled my love of the sport.

Now with football I increasingly feel like a hypocrite. Though I don’t watch as much as I used to I still cringe thinking that my enjoyment is coming at the cost of someone else risking their future.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Bingo. The decline in tackle football is a matter of simple physics. The players are much, much bigger then they used to be and their speed has, in anything, increased. Result = the force of the collisions is greater and the chance of injury and long term. damage to organs involved in the collisions is greater. My high school team had one player who weighed more then 220 and he was slow too boot. My college team had one player over 220, but he came in at 235. The only players we had who were the same size you find today were the LBs and the RBs; everybody else was smaller. Everybody was slower; our fastest guy was our TB who ran the 100 yards at 10.4. (Since, at 215, he often outweighed the DTs for our opponents we did ok.)

Now, look at the pleyers. Paul's last OL, so castigated by TFG, averaged around 6'4", 291. Not very big by todays standards, but the Land of the Giants compared to tackle football in the past. The results are plain to see, especially for pro players where the increase in size and speed is most noticeable. Further, it is certainly true that safety measures haven't done much to allay fears about this. The helmets are about as good as they are going to get and the players are, more and more, ignoring padding below the waist. Braces can help the linemen, but even there there is reluctance to use them until injury forces it.

Bottom line: I think tackle football is going the way of pro boxing; i.e. a slow decline in prominence and at least partial replacement by other sports. I hate this. I was brought up on and played tackle football. I love it. But parents are no longer willing to support it at the level of the past. That means the player pool is drying up. And there it is.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Pretty common knowledge for those of us that have been around youth and high school sports. My personal perspective is that a lot of youth that are not participants, had rather be on a gadget than watch the game. Maybe not in my lifetime, but I see networks struggle to pay the bills In the future.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Our local high school has fewer than 500 students. It was proposed a few years ago that we switch to flag or 7x7. So far, they are sticking with tradition.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Our local high school has fewer than 500 students. It was proposed a few years ago that we switch to flag or 7x7. So far, they are sticking with tradition.
I'm surprised Cross Keys in Dekalb county fields a team still, I guess it's some kind of requirement? Apparently they are AAAAA now, I think they were AA when I was in school, but they only have 22 players on their whole roster and have only won 9 games since 2005.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I've always wondered if they changed the materials of a helmet, would it help with the concussions? Right now, you basically have a hard plastic shell and a metal cage for a face mask, which gives players a false sense of protection, and they're more willing to throw their bodies head first at an opponent. The hard plastic is also less forgiving. If anyone has played football, you know how annoying it was for a coach to whack you with a whistle, or one of your buddies smacking the top of your helmet. Now imagine a 200 lb guy running full speed at you and hitting your helmet with his helmet. Just the sonic waves created by the hard plastic to plastic impact is damaging to your brain.

My idea is to keep the metal face mask, but extend it to "cage" the head. Have a memory foam type interior inside of the metal cage surrounding the head, another smaller layer of foam or air bladder type protection outside of the "cage", and rubber outer layer "wrap" all of it. It looks the same as current helmets, but much softer materials while still protecting your brain. Also, it's a lot lighter so you don't get those hard helmet to helmet sonic waves traveling through your helmet (and brain). I also think guys would be less willing to throw their heads first on tackles.