The Best of: Quarterback

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This one is tough.

1. Li'l Joe. He just is. That guy could run any facet of Fridge's offense to a "T". Option...he nailed it. Touch on the deep ball.....he nailed it. He read defenses like Tom Brady. He rose to the occasion every time. He put the entire program on his back.

2. Donnie Davis got the most raw end of the deal of any player, let alone QB, in my memory. B!11 L&w15 will always live in infamy in my mind. What a horrible decision to go with Tommy Traitor! DD had a ton of talent and all that had to happen was give him some time and some coaching. TW is second, in my mind. Some people appreciate him. Some don't. At least he was handed the keys. DD wasn't.

3. All the plays mentioned so far have been great. The one that did it for me was Shawn Jones shaking that leg free from the Nebraska tackler and taking the ball for about 60 yards early in the natty game in 1990. That play set the tone for the game. The Huskers never recovered.

4. My first instinct was the Matt Ryan disaster going against the Tenuta blitz package. That was until I remembered Woody effing Danztler. He gutted us like a fish. Losing to him hurt sooooooo bad because in all other phases, we deserved to win. Without him alone, Climpsum was sunk. We scored a ton of points and is wasn't enough.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@Boomergump
DD comes in 3rd for me at #2 Behring RB and TW. He definitely wins for getting the rawest deal and a strong argument can definitely be made he was most under rated. I was answering more from a fan perspective but from a coaching perspective you are right. LoserLewis nearly created a race war on the team. Tommy Losingville is the only former Tech player I have no respect for.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
1. Shawn Jones Natl Champ
2. Joe Ham & Billy Lothridge
3. Goose Godsey as a QB but for his one play as holder for 3rd down FG attempt vs ugag in 1999.
4. Damn. Charlie Ward / Joe Theisman / azzwipe Tarkenton / Pat Sullivan / Joe Namath / Dan Marino / Matty Ice

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Grand finale.

GT All-Time:
  1. Favorite QB
  2. Most Underrated QB
  3. Favorite Single QB Play
  4. Best Opposing QB Performance

Video clips encouraged.
Favorite from this era would be Joe Ham Old School would be Lothridge All American, runner up Heisman
Most Underrated from this era would be Reggie Ball Old School would be "the young Left Hander" Kim King
Favorite Play: from this era would be Nesbitt take back or Reggie's game winner vs Clemson Old School would be Kim King lighting up 8th ranked Tennessee at Grant Field
Best Opposing is a tie between Matt Ryan's; 400 yard killer and Charlie Ward in 93

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Not to start the typical Reggie argument but why are people picking Reggie's their to Calvin against NC St? The throw itself was terrible that's what made Calvin's catch so great.

I still disagree with Reggie being underrated. He gave his all and I will respect the hell out of him but he just wasn't a great QB IMO. Blame the stupid fans for giving him crap and being disrespectful but I wouldn't say he's underrated because of it. He could hardly complete 50℅ of his passes and threw more picks than TD's while playing with the one of the greatest WR's of our generation.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not to start the typical Reggie argument but why are people picking Reggie's their to Calvin against NC St? The throw itself was terrible that's what made Calvin's catch so great.

I still disagree with Reggie being underrated. He gave his all and I will respect the hell out of him but he just wasn't a great QB IMO. Blame the stupid fans for giving him crap and being disrespectful but I wouldn't say he's underrated because of it. He could hardly complete 50℅ of his passes and threw more picks than TD's while playing with the one of the greatest WR's of our generation.
For those who didn't watch Calvin's catch against NCSU live, I'll cut you some slack for not knowing that a DL got his hand on the throw. That is the reason the ball was spinning on its axis in the vertical plane.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I saw it live... I also never saw the ball get tipped. Maybe you can zoom in and slow it down and see it get tipped but I never saw it get tipped.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Lotheridge easily qualifies for #1 but no where near #2.
Whisky_Clear beat me to it.

Folks find some highlight footage or some press write ups if you are not familiar with Lotheridge.

His last season at GT was the year I was born, so I never saw him play. Stats aren't eye popping by today's standards, but talk to those that played with him and they'd tell you that he was the straw that stirred the drink.

#8 in Heisman voting in '62 and #2 in '63.

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Folks find some highlight footage or some press write ups if you are not familiar with Lotheridge.

His last season at GT was the year I was born, so I never saw him play. Stats aren't eye popping by today's standards, but talk to those that played with him and they'd tell you that he was the straw that stirred the drink.

Meant to add I was lucky enough to meet Billy when Sid Williams was kind enough to introduce me. After that meeting us when I made it a point to learn about Lotheridge.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
1. Joshua Nesbitt - not the best option QB we've had, but he made up for it with heart and toughness. Also quarterbacked the ACC Championship team in 2009.

2. George Godsey - may not be mentioned enough when talking about great QB's at Tech, and he's responsible for this great moment:

3. If throws count, it's gotta be Reggie Ball's pass to Calvin in 2004 against Clemson.

If it has to be a quarterback's individual effort, then it's JT's touchdown run in the Orange Bowl

4. Marquis Williams in 2014, still can't believe that game.

JN wasn't going to be denied on the goal line was he?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

I was in school at GT when Lothridge played. He was MR CLUTCH. It seemed 1st and 2nd down only existed so that Lothridge could run or pass for whatever yardage was needed for a first down. It seemed every series he made the play to keep the chains moving. He was not a superior athlete (no super quickness or speed) but just had a knack for the game, whether passing, running, or kicking.

I do not believe he ever played QB for the Falcons but he was their kicker. At one time he was pressed to play some safety due to injuries on the Falcons squad. He was forced to retire when it was discovered that he was born with only one kidney (I think my memory is correct on that). He was a fan favorite because he just produced when it counted.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
GT All-Time:
  1. Favorite QB
  2. Most Underrated QB
  3. Favorite Single QB Play
  4. Best Opposing QB Performance

1. Shawn Jones. Will always be "the guy" who I credit for not only getting me on the GT lifetime sports train, but love for sports overall. Can't tell you how many Shawn Jones patented rollouts I did as kid in my parent's backyard. Interesting sidenote to Shawn Jones: I was watching an NFL segment on black QBs and how some past QBs were overlooked in the NFL because they "didn't fit the mold". Tony Dungy specifically said Shawn Jones was a QB who he thought would have been a really good NFL QB, but because he was athletic and black, he never got a shot to play QB. Minnesota did give him an opportunity to play DB.

2. Tevin is the most recent one that comes to mind. He just had the unfortunate timing of 1. Playing with some of the worst defenses in modern GT history and 2. Playing at the same time as the Vad Lee hype train. If Tevin has a half decent defense during his years, GT wins 10+ games in 2011 and 2012. BTW...he was the starting QB that broke CPJ's winless bowl streak against USC. Boomer mentioned this, but Donnie Davis probably would be a legend right now if he played for the OC who he signed to play with: Ralph Friedgen. Davis was the 2nd Overall ranked QB in that class (behind UGA's Eric Zeier...whom as fate would have it, Donnie worked for at Bank of America). The guy was a decade before his time. He was DeShaun Watson before DeShaun Watson...and GT had him. The thing was, Friedgen was making use of dual threat QBs and teaching them NFL passing concepts at the same time. We saw it with Shawn Jones and Joe Hamilton. It's a shame Davis never got that opportunity because Friedgen would have made him a star.

3. Too many to mention. My favorite individual QB performance was Joe Hamilton's game against #1 FSU in 1999. That team was LOADED defensively, and they were trying to take his head off at every chance. Joe just got up and made more big plays after every hit. One of the finest QB performances I can remember...and not only GT, but in college football. Lil' Joe put us on his shoulders that game and won it for us.

4. Woody Dantzler. Hamilton and Dantzler had some crazy games against each other. Those two guys were the precurser to dual threat QBs of this era. Dantzler seemed like he was unstoppable at times both through the air and using his legs. I was glad to seem him exhaust his eligibility.