The Athletic comes to ATL

Techster

Helluva Engineer
On another note, Brant Mitchell is going to be a different player this year. I keep saying it, but Brant was not meant for Roof's 4-2 system and having to cover so much space. He's going to have MONSTER games in CNW's scheme.

Can't wait to see this defense in action and how our guys play in it.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Well just got my free T-shirt in the mail this weekend. After washing and wearing it I can report back it is super comfortable. After the small fortune I have spent on adidas swag my wife was happy to hear the shirt was free.

She had told me, “you have enough athletic wear now” so may have to park the purchases from Adidas for a bit.

&shrug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Reviving this thread as it felt like the best place to put this comment:

I know a lot of us have been frustrated by the dwindling coverage GT gets here. Let's blow up this article's comments and plaster it on social media to show engagement scores that make it worth their while to return our beat writer to us.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer

I know a lot of us have been frustrated by the dwindling coverage GT gets here. Let's blow up this article's comments and plaster it on social media to show engagement scores that make it worth their while to return our beat writer to us.

I'd double-like this if it was allowed.

Let's blow up the comments with positive feedback. Dumping on The Athletic probably won't help as much...but if that's all you can muster in grumpy-mode, any feedback is better than none.

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer

I would, but I cancelled my subscription as soon as Jeff Schultz told me there were no plans to have a beat writer for Tech in the future. If that changes, y'all let me know.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Wait. Is that true? Somehow I missed that decision. If that's true then I'll be canceling as well.
He responded in the comments of this article that he wasn’t aware of plans to bring in a new external author. It is unclear to me if they plan to reassign an existing author to our beat though from his comment.

I do think if we show interest they’ll at a minimum have him focus more on us (winning helps too) but it’s all about making our interest known. I get canceling if the value prop doesn’t make it worth it for people but I follow a few other teams as well so get benefit from that. Would prefer more GT coverage if possible though haha #BrGreedy

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer
He responded in the comments of this article that he wasn’t aware of plans to bring in a new external author. It is unclear to me if they plan to reassign an existing author to our beat though from his comment.

I do think if we show interest they’ll at a minimum have him focus more on us (winning helps too) but it’s all about making our interest known. I get canceling if the value prop doesn’t make it worth it for people but I follow a few other teams as well so get benefit from that. Would prefer more GT coverage if possible though haha #BrGreedy
I DM'd Jeff back when Daniel Shirley left the Athletic, and Jeff said there were no plans to have a beat writer even share GT coverage, let alone a beat writer specifically for GT. So, if they only cover Tech with the once in a blue moon Schultz article, then I will not support them by subscribing.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I DM'd Jeff back when Daniel Shirley left the Athletic, and Jeff said there were no plans to have a beat writer even share GT coverage, let alone a beat writer specifically for GT. So, if they only cover Tech with the once in a blue moon Schultz article, then I will not support them by subscribing.
Man that really stinks - I still get value from the other teams I follow, but this is a bitter pill to swallow.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Man that really stinks - I still get value from the other teams I follow, but this is a bitter pill to swallow.
Yep. If that's the case then buh-bye suckers. I care a bit about the Falcons (and I used to care about the Braves until MLB decided to disenfranchise me), but not enough to sub to The Athletic. So No Tech = No Athletic. I vote with my wallet.

I know they don't care. But I do.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Yep. If that's the case then buh-bye suckers. I care a bit about the Falcons (and I used to care about the Braves until MLB decided to disenfranchise me), but not enough to sub to The Athletic. So No Tech = No Athletic. I vote with my wallet.

I hear you

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I would, but I cancelled my subscription as soon as Jeff Schultz told me there were no plans to have a beat writer for Tech in the future. If that changes, y'all let me know.
There is a lot of meat in that article. The thing that jumps out is how bad GT's football revenue compares to the rest of the ACC, only ahead of Wake; and to UGA - $100M annually behind UGA. Hard to compete and keep talented coaches when you pay bottom of the conference salaries. Todd has some ideas how to help that are interesting, however, it's a steep climb for sure!

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
There is a lot of meat in that article. The thing that jumps out is how bad GT's football revenue compares to the rest of the ACC, only ahead of Wake; and to UGA - $100M annually behind UGA. Hard to compete and keep talented coaches when you pay bottom of the conference salaries. Todd has some ideas how to help that are interesting, however, it's a steep climb for sure!

I agree!
But that article gave me enough confidence in Todd's vision that I'm gonna bump up my contributions in a major way. I couldn't bring myself to waste money when Bobble-head was here, so I never really increased my contributions as my means increased.

But it sound's like TStan's got a plan I can get behind, so I'm going to just that.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

I agree!
But that article gave me enough confidence in Todd's vision that I'm gonna bump up my contributions in a major way. I couldn't bring myself to waste money when Bobble-head was here, so I never really increased my contributions as my means increased.

But it sound's like TStan's got a plan I can get behind, so I'm going to just that.
Am I the only one that is seeing the irony in these two statements?

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Ever since they moved Tori McElhaney off of coverage for Georgia Tech, the coverage has been minimal and superficial at best. I keep my subscription because it has a beat writer who covers Atlanta United that is unbelievably fantastic (Felipe Cardenas as well as some other good secondary writers), but most of the writers for my other teams, including Georgia Tech are not much better than free content available elsewhere : (

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
In any case, it's good to hear that you are increasing your donations. I have as well. Not yet convinced that CGC is the guy to get it done, but I think he and ADTS are on the right path.
I feel the same of not knowing that CGC is the guy to get it done. But I'm really, really hoping so. I'm optimistic (at least for another two weeks) that CGC has shown improvement in two of the three keys to creating a winning program.
  • Culture - Check
  • Recruiting (w/Portal) - Check
  • Xs & Os - ?
I want to feel that our coaches are at least a break-even on Saturdays vs the other team's coaches. I don't feel that way yet, but that might have more to do with "The Most Epic Transition In The History Of Transitions(tm)."

Strategically, the move to CPJ's offense made a ton of sense in that it gave us an edge on most Saturdays in coaching, but the weakness it created in recruiting turned out to ensure that while we'd always be good or very good, we'd almost never be excellent. Now that we've changed strategies to try to win with Culture (that improves recruiting), can we survive on Saturdays if our coaches are average?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Regarding donations, winning takes money.

I have always felt that if people aren’t donating to the level they’re able, then they forfeit their right to complain about our competitiveness.

Continue to be a casual fanand cheer when we win, but the fair weather nature of “program supporters” who don’t often support the program is a bummer.

This is meant as a general statement and not directed at anyone specific.