The Athletic comes to ATL

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Man, I LOVE the concept of what The Athletic is doing, but their business model is going to be tough to sustain. Hopefully something innovative is going on and we'll see more in the future, but as it stands, paying money to all that talent across the country and subsisting on venture capital and subscibers is a tough diet.

Here's more about The Athletic:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/23/sports/the-athletic-newspapers.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...site-for-local-sports-news-raises-5-8-million

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That AJ Gray story is a good example of the type of writing they do, going well beyond just 4-5 paragraph blog. I've been subscribing for a few months, and it's well worth it. They aren't really in the business of trying to break news but offer in-depth coverage and analysis instead. Newspapers used to be able to do both, but the economic realities have them churning out "content" for clicks. Up until the last 5 years or so, the AJC had two beat writers for GT and then another few writers and a columnist for games. Not the case anymore.

Hope that The Athletic can be successful. It's grown a lot in the last year with some very good writers.
Sounds like what Winklejohn's been doing for the past several years.

GTFLETCH

Banned
This is a great Read and why you may want to become a subscriber. I would encourage everyone to think about supporting Georgia Tech Press through The Athletic
Link
https://theathletic.com/436006/2018...ing-is-what-you-can-expect-from-the-athletic/

I stopped showing up to the men’s tennis matches during my junior year the University of Florida. I wrote for the student newspaper, the Independent Florida Alligator, and disliked it. The daily grind of having to produce stories that had to fit certain word counts and writing game recaps that were ancient by the time the paper was printed just didn’t interest me.

I was already a sports anchor and reporter for the campus television station, and TV is what I wanted to do when I graduated in 2014, so I quit the paper. The freedom to be as creative as I wanted while expressing my personality is what drove me to wanting to be on television.

I only applied for TV jobs out of school, but when I got my first two offers — I was shocked at the salaries. Not only would I make pennies, but I would have to move to the middle of nowhere. So, I rejected both offers and waited.

A recruiter from Cox Media Group in Atlanta reached out to me on LinkedIn in 2014 just weeks before I graduated and told me that they were interested in talking to me about a college football website the company was launching. The site, FanBuzz, which is now defunct, was almost entirely aggregation and clickbait. It’s not what I wanted to do, but I took the job mainly because I had fallen in love with the city of Atlanta while interning for 680 The Fan just a month after I quit the paper.

I made sure I worked harder than everyone on FanBuzz’s staff. I made it my mission to get out of aggregating other people’s work as soon as possible. I got my break less than a year into the job with the launch of SEC Country, another Cox Media Group outlet.

That’s where I learned how to be a reporter and fell in love with telling stories. I covered Alabama recruiting for almost 3 years before that site folded at the end of June.

The one thing I noticed while being a recruiting reporter is the majority of the writers only focus on asking standard questions: Where are you visiting next? Which schools lead? When are you committing? Those questions are vital to ask, for sure, but I always wanted to be different. I would get that information, but I would also find out details no one else would get, like how running back Najee Harris slept on the floor of his home while he ascended to be the nation’s No. 1 overall recruit; how senior picture day changed the life of an Alabama offensive lineman; and how Tua Tagovailoa throws left-handed because his father wanted his son to be left-hand dominant like him, so it would be easier to train him.

Those are the stories I crave and the ones I hope to tell here at The Athletic. You guys are watching the games. You know who won and who lost. I don’t need to tell you those things. But do you know what makes the players and coaches you’re watching unique? Do you know what they’ve sacrificed to get to where they are today? Do you know about the heartaches they’ve had to overcome growing up? Sometimes, we look at these athletes as machines. I want my storytelling to remind you that these people breathe the same air as you and I and go through the same highs and lows as us.

The great thing about this site is I’ll have the chance to tell these stories because we want to write well-written, well-reported, informative and entertaining stories that you likely won’t see on other sites. You won’t see clickbait, meaningless lists and annoying auto-play videos on this site. You’re going to get some of the best reporting on the internet.

I’ve been a subscriber to The Athletic since last fall and fell in love with the concept that a site can produce quality journalism without having to aggregate every piece of “news” on the internet and turn into a content farm.

I fell in love with sports writing once again by being a subscriber at The Athletic, and I hope you get that same feeling, too.

If you haven’t subscribed yet, join now with this link to get 30% off plus a free T-shirt: theathletic.com/atlantalaunch

grb916

Georgia Tech Fan
So I’ve read a few stories the AJ Gray one, one on ATL United, one on Okogie, one on U Washington’s DC and some others.

Looks like the subscription will absolutely be worth it.

I bit the bullet and subscribed yesterday. It looks like it will definitely be worth the $3.50/mo, based on how many articles I saw and saved for later. Looking forward to the GT and Atlanta sports articles, but there are plenty of other great reads.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is a great Read and why you may want to become a subscriber. I would encourage everyone to think about supporting Georgia Tech Press through The Athletic
Link
https://theathletic.com/436006/2018...ing-is-what-you-can-expect-from-the-athletic/

I stopped showing up to the men’s tennis matches during my junior year the University of Florida. I wrote for the student newspaper, the Independent Florida Alligator, and disliked it. The daily grind of having to produce stories that had to fit certain word counts and writing game recaps that were ancient by the time the paper was printed just didn’t interest me.

I was already a sports anchor and reporter for the campus television station, and TV is what I wanted to do when I graduated in 2014, so I quit the paper. The freedom to be as creative as I wanted while expressing my personality is what drove me to wanting to be on television.

I only applied for TV jobs out of school, but when I got my first two offers — I was shocked at the salaries. Not only would I make pennies, but I would have to move to the middle of nowhere. So, I rejected both offers and waited.

A recruiter from Cox Media Group in Atlanta reached out to me on LinkedIn in 2014 just weeks before I graduated and told me that they were interested in talking to me about a college football website the company was launching. The site, FanBuzz, which is now defunct, was almost entirely aggregation and clickbait. It’s not what I wanted to do, but I took the job mainly because I had fallen in love with the city of Atlanta while interning for 680 The Fan just a month after I quit the paper.

I made sure I worked harder than everyone on FanBuzz’s staff. I made it my mission to get out of aggregating other people’s work as soon as possible. I got my break less than a year into the job with the launch of SEC Country, another Cox Media Group outlet.

That’s where I learned how to be a reporter and fell in love with telling stories. I covered Alabama recruiting for almost 3 years before that site folded at the end of June.

The one thing I noticed while being a recruiting reporter is the majority of the writers only focus on asking standard questions: Where are you visiting next? Which schools lead? When are you committing? Those questions are vital to ask, for sure, but I always wanted to be different. I would get that information, but I would also find out details no one else would get, like how running back Najee Harris slept on the floor of his home while he ascended to be the nation’s No. 1 overall recruit; how senior picture day changed the life of an Alabama offensive lineman; and how Tua Tagovailoa throws left-handed because his father wanted his son to be left-hand dominant like him, so it would be easier to train him.

Those are the stories I crave and the ones I hope to tell here at The Athletic. You guys are watching the games. You know who won and who lost. I don’t need to tell you those things. But do you know what makes the players and coaches you’re watching unique? Do you know what they’ve sacrificed to get to where they are today? Do you know about the heartaches they’ve had to overcome growing up? Sometimes, we look at these athletes as machines. I want my storytelling to remind you that these people breathe the same air as you and I and go through the same highs and lows as us.

The great thing about this site is I’ll have the chance to tell these stories because we want to write well-written, well-reported, informative and entertaining stories that you likely won’t see on other sites. You won’t see clickbait, meaningless lists and annoying auto-play videos on this site. You’re going to get some of the best reporting on the internet.

I’ve been a subscriber to The Athletic since last fall and fell in love with the concept that a site can produce quality journalism without having to aggregate every piece of “news” on the internet and turn into a content farm.

I fell in love with sports writing once again by being a subscriber at The Athletic, and I hope you get that same feeling, too.

If you haven’t subscribed yet, join now with this link to get 30% off plus a free T-shirt: theathletic.com/atlantalaunch

Thanks for sharing. I was ambivalent about subscribing, but your story has inspired me to be a paying subscriber. Always happy to support one of our own! Looking forward to seeing your work and seeing your career grow.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I subscribed when they launched their college hoops site. While I'm not a big fan of Seth Davis, he had a good enough crew to sign up. While I just don't have the time to enjoy as much of it as I'd like, I do like the format & concept. Also, it's getting to be widereaching that you'll probably find articles worth reading that you didn't expect to want to read. Good service, in my opinion.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for sharing. I was ambivalent about subscribing, but your story has inspired me to be a paying subscriber. Always happy to support one of our own! Looking forward to seeing your work and seeing your career grow.

I may have mis-interpreted the post, but I don’t think the text below the link was intended to be his own words but instead the text from the article explaining what the website is about. Feel free to correct me if I’m mistaken

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Really nice piece just posted by Schutlz on why both UGA and GT fans should be excited. Haven’t read one article on Tech yet that hasn’t been absolutely worth the read.

Bottom line: It’s a difficult start to the schedule with the first six including road games at South Florida, Pittsburgh and Louisville and a home game against Clemson. But they’ll finish 8-4 and, yes, will stun all and win the Coastal, edging Miami in the standings with a late-season win over the Hurricanes.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
One thing I didn’t realize is since the athletic is completely behind a paywall it’s like the HBO of sports news.

They print quotes verbatim and it was just a bit jarring since you never read uncensored quotes in normal camp coverage stuff lol

Cam

Helluva Engineer
On the topic of paywalled news, has anyone subscribed to The White and Gold since they made it subscription-based? It's like $7.50 a month at best, which is more than twice The Athletic. Wondering if it's worth it, but I doubt it.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
On the topic of paywalled news, has anyone subscribed to The White and Gold since they made it subscription-based? It's like $7.50 a month at best, which is more than twice The Athletic. Wondering if it's worth it, but I doubt it.

I was curious about the site as well. I think it is ran by a GT alum, so was thinking I would try it out. I have REALLY enjoyed the athletic subscription.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk