The Athletic comes to ATL

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The fact that GT is sharing a beat writer when the Braves have three is ridiculous.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

I liked this intro article from Shultz as it attempts to get at the heart of what The Athletic aspires to be (real media coverage) vs. what a lot of media has become (click-bait and loaded with advertisements).

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
That AJ Gray story is a good example of the type of writing they do, going well beyond just 4-5 paragraph blog. I've been subscribing for a few months, and it's well worth it. They aren't really in the business of trying to break news but offer in-depth coverage and analysis instead. Newspapers used to be able to do both, but the economic realities have them churning out "content" for clicks. Up until the last 5 years or so, the AJC had two beat writers for GT and then another few writers and a columnist for games. Not the case anymore.

Hope that The Athletic can be successful. It's grown a lot in the last year with some very good writers.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Thanks for letting us know about The Athletic, I just signed up for the 1st year deal. Since moving to Houston I feel like I miss a lot of the news around GT's programs so am looking forward to reading the content they put out. Hopefully if we get a loyal following there we can even see more GT Related content

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
https://theathletic.com/227557/

Why The Athletic has a paywall

Since launching The Athletic NHL and The Athletic Toronto more than a year ago, I’ve consistently received two different reactions to what The Athletic has started in 15+ markets across North America.

The first response has been very positive. Most people get it, like it and are on-board, with supportive comments, suggestions for great writers to add to our team, and ideas on how we can improve.

We love those people.

The second group?

They usually have a different take, something along the lines of “Paywall? I will NEVER pay for sports content!”

Which is understandable. We’re still relatively new, and a pay-to-read model is still a nascent concept – especially for sports. As I learned writing about analytics on the Maple Leafs beat circa 2012-13, anything new is probably controversial.

So I think it’s worth explaining why we are the way we are...

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I think they are in 24 plus markets in the US and have already assembled some of the best writers around, like getting Stark, Rosenthal and Gammons for baseball.
You won't get pop up ads or those video ads that appear in the middle of stories and you won't get quick hits that are just aggregated from somebody else's feed or site.
I wonder if the business model can work. If it does, you may see a lot of the metro papers have their sports sections suffer. They took a couple of the beat guys off the Boston Globe, including their Bruins writer. So The Athletic's management means business.
I don't know anything about the guy who will be covering Tech for The Athletic's Atlanta site, but if we can get more and more in-depth and extensive coverage in the market for Tech athletics, it can't be a bad thing. It looks like they want to do old school writing and journalism.