The Arms

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have heard some rumors that English may be out for the year. Have not been able to verify that. Have you heard anything?

Out as in not pitching, out as in not hitting or playing first, or out as in both?

@RoosterJacket you don't troll so I assume there may be something here. I've checked everything written I can and didn't find anything. But there isn't much follow out there for GT Baseball ....... :banghead:

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Out as in not pitching, out as in not hitting or playing first, or out as in both?

@RoosterJacket you don't troll so I assume there may be something here. I've checked everything written I can and didn't find anything. But there isn't much follow out there for GT Baseball ....... :banghead:
I couldn't find anything written either. It was told to me by a person who said that a player said English had an injury which won't allow him to pitch or hit. Hope it's not accurate, but came here to see if anyone had heard anything similar.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I couldn't find anything written either. It was told to me by a person who said that a player said English had an injury which won't allow him to pitch or hit. Hope it's not accurate, but came here to see if anyone had heard anything similar.
There were a lot of people wishing him a speedy recovery on twitter so I imagine that he had surgery. I hope it isn't anything serious because he is a heck of a player.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
There were a lot of people wishing him a speedy recovery on twitter so I imagine that he had surgery. I hope it isn't anything serious because he is a heck of a player.

Out for the whole year does sound serious. I have NO info one way or the other, just reacting to this thread. The serious problem with arm injuries to pitchers which have doomed our program continues, I guess.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Tommy John's at Andrews clinic (last week I would imagine but not sure). This is per his instagram, so I assume it's accurate.:singing:

65Jacket

GT Athlete
What a way to start the season, seems like every year we lose a star pitcher to Tommy John. Except this year we lose possibly out best hitter too, all in one guy.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, if true (probably is), English is out at least this season (100%) and out or ineffective next season (% depends on recovery). http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/tommy-john-surgery-ucl-reconstruction#1

At the end of two seasons from now, if fully recovered, he'll be draft eligible and shouldn't wait till his last season to go in the draft. So maybe he gets one good year with the team. Maybe none. His long term prognosis is good, he just isn't getting experience now. And it won't help us where we need the most help.

For Tristin, coming to college/GT was the right decision. Much better to be getting a good education in parallel with injury. And he contributed a lot with his bat last year.

Just sucks.

Wonder why it took so long to figure out Tristin needed Tommy John? Unless he "hurt" himself getting ready for the season. My understanding was that the need for this surgery was usually something that built up slowly.......

Last edited:

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
For some reason, I get a chuckle out of this....when article tries to give some context to the "impact" of losing Pitts.

"...Pitts was second on the team with 14 starts..."

Also "The pitching was very good last season" is not a good way to start the paragraph. If it said, "Gold and Gorst were very good last season" then it would be more accurate.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For some reason, I get a chuckle out of this....when article tries to give some context to the "impact" of losing Pitts.

"...Pitts was second on the team with 14 starts..."

Yeah, I saw that and was going to be nice and not comment.......... The statement was as positive and factual as possible.

BTW, I trolled on the GTBaseball FaceBook site to try and find out about Tristin. I hope it's a misunderstanding, but .........

Also "The pitching was very good last season" is not a good way to start the paragraph. If it said, "Gold and Gorst were very good last season" then it would be more accurate.

Parr was pretty effective too. And Gibson, Datoc, Dulaney and Lee have a lot of promise. They aren't 5th year seniors :cautious: and I expect them to really develop.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I saw that and was going to be nice and not comment.......... The statement was as positive and factual as possible.

BTW, I trolled on the GTBaseball FaceBook site to try and find out about Tristin. I hope it's a misunderstanding, but .........

Parr was pretty effective too. And Gibson, Datoc, Dulaney and Lee have a lot of promise. They aren't 5th year seniors :cautious: and I expect them to really develop.
Dulaney and Carpenter were filthy at times last year. I also hope that Hall utilizes Combs more this year. I'm still confused as to why he was only used sparingly last year.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Definitely like the potential some of our pitchers have. Almost all of the sophomores had some really good moments last year, they just couldn't be consistent. Need at least 4-5 of the following guys to really step up and then maybe a freshman or two to provide some decent innings:
Parr
Ryan
Datoc
Dulaney
Gibson
Carpenter
Lee
Combs
Hughes

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Definitely like the potential some of our pitchers have. Almost all of the sophomores had some really good moments last year, they just couldn't be consistent. Need at least 4-5 of the following guys to really step up and then maybe a freshman or two to provide some decent innings:
Parr
Ryan
Datoc
Dulaney
Gibson
Carpenter
Lee
Combs
Hughes
Well... you wrote this 6 weeks ago. We're 7 games into the season and I certainly hope your right and 4-5 of these guys (plus a freshman) do step up. We need that.
The early 'bright spots'...Curry (the freshman); Ryan (clear closer)
The rest (putting as positive spin as possible)... need to live up to the potential @RoosterJacket alludes to.

Really want to see the curve (no pun intended) trend in the right direction for the next 6 games (leading up to Miami series). [He says with eyes closed waiting for the punch in the gut]

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
unicorn
[yoo-ni-kawrn]
noun
1. a mythical creature resembling a horse, with a single horn in the center of its forehead: often symbolic of chastity or purity.
2. a heraldic representation of this animal, in the form of a horse with a lion's tail and with a long, straight, and spirally twisted horn.
3. an engineer who consistently throws strikes.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
From Baseball America's Top 25 chat on Monday:

Bill (Atlanta): I'm concerned about GT's starting pitching since only one of the three could even make five innings this weekend. Have you had a chance to look at the Jackets? I'm not too worried about the offense.

Teddy Cahill: Georgia Tech’s starting pitching is a concern, but not because of this weekend. It’s just a young group that has been the team’s weak point the last couple years. Xzavion Curry and Jonathan Hughes are both really talented and as long as they’re healthy, I think they’ll be fine. The Jackets may need to work some things out on Sunday if Keyton Gibson isn’t able to stay there, but they have options. A big part of the reason we ranked Georgia Tech coming into this year is because of the pitching staff’s talent. I still believe in it, they just have to work out some early-season issues.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/top-25-chat-feb-27/#FSAciRYcpa0xI9Uf.99

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From Baseball America's Top 25 chat on Monday:

The reason we are ranked by Baseball America (and only them) is because of out hitting and defense. Only our pitching can screw that up (again). D1 has some support for us too .... I think it's Kendall Rogers who likes us as a program. But our pitching has stunk for the last few years and needs to get better. We had a 4.25 team ERA going into today against weak (244 SOS) opponents. Facts. Maybe we'll get better maybe we won't. I sure hope we do since I want to go to Omaha this year.

Today X was very good, Jake Lee ok/good and King awful. Keep it going tomorrow with the re-emergence of Hughes.