The Arms

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college/how-tech-is-trying-to-reduce-arm-injuries-improve-/ns3gP/

I'm reading a lot of optimism here. Interesting read. Does anyone with a better recall or knowledge than I, have some perspective on this? Pitching injuries 'seem' to have been a bugaboo for the Jackets the last few seasons. Is this new approach really something that different OR is this your basic post-fall ball optimism where you may as well say everything is great... everyone is 100% (or will be)... because there is no way (or need) to prove it.

Suffice it to say, I may be looking a little past basketball season wanting to grasp onto this 'good news' on the baseball front.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't think it's that much different from past years but can't prove it.

What I can say is that we seemed to have just a bit less pitching in summer ball. And no pitchers in Cape Cod where the best hitters are. So maybe there is something to this.

Here is this year's pitching in summer ball: http://www.beesball.com/summer2016.html

Here was last year: http://www.beesball.com/summer2015.html

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Looking at this year's summer stats, I will not be surprised if the following hand up their cleats and focus on school. Opinion based on ERA, IP and quality of league:

Pat Wiseman (also only pitched 2.1 innings for us last year)
Robert Winborne (also only pitched 10 innings for us last year)

As I commented before, I'm not impressed by how our guys pitched overall in the summer. But that is not necessarily negative for next year; it just isn't positive.

Looking forward to Beesball to starting again! Haven't seen schedule come out yet ..... first game probably Friday 17 February.

I'll look at all the pitchers in detail later with stats; right now I still think pitching is our biggest question mark area going into the season. Defense should be solid as offense seems to always come around.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Noticed Jonathan Hughes listed as a "RS-FR" I must have missed that & clearly I don't know rules on what counts as using a year of eligibility. But this is good news if it means he's with us for at least 3 more years.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Noticed Jonathan Hughes listed as a "RS-FR" I must have missed that & clearly I don't know rules on what counts as using a year of eligibility. But this is good news if it means he's with us for at least 3 more years.

By eligibility he may have 3 years after this one. But he will probably go pro as soon as he can; if he doesn't go pro ASAP, that will probably mean he has continued to have arm problems. We don't want that for his and the team's reasons.

Hughes will be 21 (draft eligible) in January 2018. So we have him this year (2017) and 2018 most likely. http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=jonathan-hughes There is a small chance he would stay for his r-Jr year (2019), but I doubt it if he's healthy.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll look at all the pitchers in detail later with stats; right now I still think pitching is our biggest question mark area going into the season. Defense should be solid as offense seems to always come around.

Definitely. I think our offense will be very good with Bailey, Craport, Kel, English, Bart, and Stallings leading the way. Defense may be just average. Justus was a stud at SS so replacing him is tough, and Kel/Stallings manning the corner OF spots may be shaky.

I think pitching has the potential, just need to stay healthy and some of those sophs that got a lot of mound time last year need to step up. It'll be interesting to see what CDH does with the rotation and also who might be the closer. Would love to see Zac Ryan back to 2015 form closing games out. Weekend rotation will likely be made up from some of the following: King, Parr, Hughes, English, Lee, Dulaney, Gibson, Curry, and Gooden. Whichever guys don't start will be the main relievers as well as Datoc, Combs, and Carpenter in relief. Maybe a few other freshmen outside of Curry and Gooden also could help on the mound at some point.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's a lot more optimism. Of course, I'll take the wait and see. When you are playing yourself, it's hard to know whether the few hits are due to great pitching or poor hitting ...... unless you were at the game. Anyone here at the games with an opinion they'd like to share?

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/111516aac.html

Hitting wise, this caught my eye since Hal has been around a while: " Brandt Stallings has as much power as anybody I've ever seen."

Hall really optimistic about English, Hughes and King: "said Hall. "To this point those guys have all done well in their throwing programs and I'm very optimistic they'll be 100 percent and ready to go in February.""

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well the wait and see isn't doing too good for me. I'm getting more and more animistic*. If we have top 20 arms, we should have the offense and defense to do well in the NCAAs. Rereading the article, I expect we'll do very well in the infield, catcher and outfield on defense.

Here's D1's take on us: http://d1baseball.com/fall-report/fall-report-georgia-tech-2/ we need our pitchers to be healthy. Duh, that's why @FredJacket started the post.

Offense it appears we have bats to spare with excessive power. I'm hoping Kel has a better eye with him at better strength than he was two years ago. Plus Stallings, English, Peurifoy and Curry. Bart is a weakness at the bat, but his catching ability and throw out ability (like ACC All-Freshman) makes him the starter to be pulled for McCann if offense is needed later in a game.

In other words, we appear solid if we stay somewhat healthy.

*{Sorry for the word but I spelled optimistic wrong and this is what spell check gave me which is someone appropriate ...... the belief that spirits inhabit phenomena.}

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Offense it appears we have bats to spare with excessive power. I'm hoping Kel has a better eye with him at better strength than he was two years ago. Plus Stallings, English, Peurifoy and Curry. Bart is a weakness at the bat, but his catching ability and throw out ability (like ACC All-Freshman) makes him the starter to be pulled for McCann if offense is needed later in a game.

In other words, we appear solid if we stay somewhat healthy.

*{Sorry for the word but I spelled optimistic wrong and this is what spell check gave me which is someone appropriate ...... the belief that spirits inhabit phenomena.}

Bart is better offensively than McCann. He hit .299 for us last season and had a great summer in Cape Cod. It does appear he struggled this fall, but Bart's bat will be heavily relied upon this season. I'm excited about our offense. The names you mentioned along with Bailey and Craport should do very well this upcoming season.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Bart is better offensively than McCann. He hit .299 for us last season and had a great summer in Cape Cod. It does appear he struggled this fall, but Bart's bat will be heavily relied upon this season. I'm excited about our offense. The names you mentioned along with Bailey and Craport should do very well this upcoming season.

You are right about Bart. He was .309 in Cape Cod in 97 at bats, so he played a lot. http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=joey-bart

I was mixing Bart up with our previous stud catcher's batting (Pabst) when I read about the .091 in fall ball. I agree the fall ball @GT doesn't mean Bart can't hit any more. But it's good to have two good catchers and be able to play the one who is playing better.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Looking at this year's draft roster, http://www.beesball.com/roster2017.html it looks like Entrop and Gauvreau aren't coming back as pitchers. It's natural for things not to work out. Any others?
Those may be the only two that didn't return to school this fall. I think CDH usually makes cuts after fall ball down to about 35, so we may not get the final roster until spring. He's gonna have to make a lot of cuts to trim down that roster.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Those may be the only two that didn't return to school this fall. I think CDH usually makes cuts after fall ball down to about 35, so we may not get the final roster until spring. He's gonna have to make a lot of cuts to trim down that roster.

Tanner Shelton is now at Georgia Gwinnett College.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Hope Shelton does well, and comes back to GT after baseball ...... He needs to go to get playing time probably. http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=tanner-shelton

I expect a few more pitchers to be gone by the 35 man cut. If they didn't pitch much last year, weren't hurt and didn't do well in summer ball, I'd expect they are gone.

I'm hoping the staff doesn't have to be near perfect in conf play this year like most of last season with more run production. That should greatly benefit the pitching staff. Maybe this team can make that step and at least host a regional. After that who knows what happens right?

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Talked to English's mom. The problem wasn't 'dead arm'. It was bone spurs/chips all along. He had them removed, so I expect him to be a force on the hill.

I have heard some rumors that English may be out for the year. Have not been able to verify that. Have you heard anything?

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I have heard some rumors that English may be out for the year. Have not been able to verify that. Have you heard anything?
I hope not! Every great pitcher we sign ends up being injured. Are we snake bit or what? By the time March rolls around are we going to be pitching short and screwed again?