The All CPJ-GT Offense

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Laskey was a 2000 + yard rusher and rarely lost yards and had like 3 career fumbles all in 13 career starts according to the team website. . Hard to say that these guys were better than Laskey if you look at numbers.

Look at YPC. Look at big plays. CPJ literally started Days over Laskey.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I may be missing something with Stephen Hill since I didn't watch GT football until 2010, but he was a huge liability as a receiver. He could not catch anything if he was wide open. I would definitely put Jeune over him on any WR list.

Here's my skill position list:

1st Team
QB: JT
BB: Dwyer
AB: Orwin
AB: Roddy/Lynch
WR: Bebe
WR: Smelter

2nd Team
QB: JfN
BB: Days/Kirvonte
AB: Searcy
AB: Deon Hill/Godhigh
WR: Jeune
WR: Waller

The only Oline lock I can think of would be Shaq Mason, Uzzi, and Parker Braun.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
To be fair, Days got that first start because Laskey was hurt. I think Days did a lot of learning and developing on the field and definitely passed Laskey after that. Makes me wonder how Days would have looked playing at BB his whole career.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
As of now, subject to updates if anyone has persuasive arguments:

First Team
QB: Justin Thomas
BB: Jon Dwyer
AB: Orwin Smith (Clinton Lynch)
AB: Robbie Godhigh (Roddy Jones)
WR: D. Thomas
WR: Deandre Smelter
LT: Will Jackson
LG: Uzzi
C: Sean Bedford
RG: Shaq Mason
RT: Gardner

Second Team:
QB: Josh F. Nesbitt
BB: Anthony Allen
AB:Qua Searcy (Deon Hill)
AB: Charles Perkins (Synjyn Days)
WR: Stephen Hill
WR: Darren Waller
LT: Will Bryan
LG: Trey Braun
C: Freddie Burden
RG: Shamire Devine [sentimental pick]
RT: Morgan Bailey

I didn't want to repeat anyone. Ant Allen is in the conversation as an AB starter, but it wasn't clear cut to me that he was better than any of the four "starters" so I've got him coming off the bench for Dwyer. Second team ABs could have gone Zenon, Bostic, Snoddy, Peebles, etc. I put Days there, consistent with the "get your best players on the field" approach.

Tackle is, again, a tough thing to work out.

Congrats to the Nesbitt backers - you won out.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Laskey lasted longer (2-3 seasons) in the NFL than Days. That's not a knock-down argument, but it is significant.

Another reason to put Waller over Jeune. Of course, that reasoning may put Kevin Cone in the conversation as well.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here is mine. Keep in mind, I did not base mine on whether a player finished all 4 years at GT or career stats necessarily. A couple players were based on the level of play that they reached at a certain point.

First Team:
QB: Thomas
BB: Dwyer
AB: Godhigh, Smith
WR: BayBay, Smelter
C: Finch
OG: Mason, P. Braun
OT: Marshall, Klock

Second Team:
QB: Washington
BB: Days (Allen) tie
AB: R. Jones, Lynch (Allen) tie
WR: Hill, Jeune
C: Burden
OG: Uzzi, Jackson
OT: Beno, Griffin

A few honorables:
QB: Nesbitt - tough guy who got it all started. Without him, this plane would have had a very hard time getting off the ground (pardon the pun, no, I don't mean passing).
OG: Cordero Howard
WR: Waller, for his growing up finally and achieving something his last season.
BB: Laskey, Career contributions
C: Bedford, another guy who helped this thing get off the ground.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Here is mine. Keep in mind, I did not base mine on whether a player finished all 4 years at GT or career stats necessarily. A couple players were based on the level of play that they reached at a certain point.

Second Team:
QB: Washington

A few honorables:
QB: Nesbitt
giphy.gif

To clarify, yes I love Tevin and he was very underrated. He was awesome at making reads, no doubt about it. But I can't ignore that Nesbitt essentially had 5 or 6 months to learn the option in 2008 before he went into game action, and he was pretty freaking good at it. Nesbitt also had multiple big wins, where Tevin "only"(because it was a great win), had one against #5 Clemson. Nesbitt also didn't have a huge upset loss, although I know MTSU 2012 wasn't necessarily Tevin's fault, but Al Groh's.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
giphy.gif

To clarify, yes I love Tevin and he was very underrated. He was awesome at making reads, no doubt about it. But I can't ignore that Nesbitt essentially had 5 or 6 months to learn the option in 2008 before he went into game action, and he was pretty freaking good at it. Nesbitt also had multiple big wins, where Tevin "only"(because it was a great win), had one against #5 Clemson. Nesbitt also didn't have a huge upset loss, although I know MTSU 2012 wasn't necessarily Tevin's fault, but Al Groh's.
Let's compare Nesbitt's 2009, having a year under his belt, to Washington's 2011, with a year under his belt too.

Rushing: JN 1037 yds (3.71 ave), TW 1126 yds (4.1 ave)
Passing Eff: JN 148.7 (1701 yds) 10TD 46.3%, TW 155.4 (1652 yds) 11TD 49%

Also keep in mind that TW delivered these numbers without having First Teamers Dwyer, and BayBay Thomas to work with. Those two made everybody better around them. I give the edge to TW, but appreciate JN very much.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's compare Nesbitt's 2009, having a year under his belt, to Washington's 2011, with a year under his belt too.

Rushing: JN 1037 yds (3.71 ave), TW 1126 yds (4.1 ave)
Passing Eff: JN 148.7 (1701 yds) 10TD 46.3%, TW 155.4 (1652 yds) 11TD 49%

Also keep in mind that TW delivered these numbers without having First Teamers Dwyer, and BayBay Thomas to work with. Those two made everybody better around them. I give the edge to TW, but appreciate JN very much.
Agree to disagree, although I will point out that Tevin was actually just short of 1K yards in 2011 with 987. They were both great players in their own rights.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

And Nesbitt was working with the entire offense learning on the fly where Washington was playing with guys who were in the system for the entirety of their college careers.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
As for the Nesbitt/Washington debate, a lot depends on how you define it. Nesbit had 2806 yds and 35 TDs vs Washingtons 2225 and 38 TDs. Nesbitt averaged 4.2 ypc vs TWs 4.1. So statistically, they were closer than most realize. The difference is in their passer ratings. JN completed 42.9% for 3276 yds and a 119.6 rating. TW was 50.7% for 3312 yds and a 142.8 passer rating. There is a far bigger gulf between their passing than their running, in TWs favor. And TW didn't have a DT bailing him out, or a JD to hand off to. I am a huge fan of Nesbitt, but TW is probably the most complete QB we had under CPJ. The limiting factor was that he wasn't as athletic as JN or JeT, so the "big plays" weren't as prevalent with him. From a technical competency aspect though, he's the best we had. That being said, I rank them 1. JeT, 2a. TW, 2b. JN 4.TM/TO 5. VL

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Days averaged half a yard better against UGA and had near 100 yards and was doing it against a fresh defense.

Laskey was in during the first half as well. He was the primary back on the first half TD drive series. When he came back in in the second half on the second TD drive, CPJ just kind of left him in, and it did wonders. I don't worry too much about averages when you're getting that kind of yardage. Either way, it's a close call between the two.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agree to disagree, although I will point out that Tevin was actually just short of 1K yards in 2011 with 987. They were both great players in their own rights.
Oops. Your yards total is correct. I inadvertently recorded his yards gained rushing, instead of net yards. Sorry.