The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, not that the season is/was gonna make it that far anyway, but if you have another major conference (or two) drop out, now I think you lose now sponsors and even playoff possibilities, as I don’t see it being very attractive to those that put the money behind those to participate. Not if likely half/close to half of your major conference athletic programs are playing “in the spring” now.
As long as the SEC and ACC are playing, with the possibility of Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech playing in the Championship game, I think the whole US will be tuning in. Midwest will be chirping and sniping, but it is what it is.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
As long as the SEC and ACC are playing, with the possibility of Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech playing in the Championship game, I think the whole US will be tuning in. Midwest will be chirping and sniping, but it is what it is.

As long as everyone can be safe, I actually hope you’re right. But since the PAC12 just cancelled, and I think the BIG12 won’t be far behind, I still just don’t see the ACC and SEC sticking to their guns and having a season.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
As long as everyone can be safe, I actually hope you’re right. But since the PAC12 just cancelled, and I think the BIG12 won’t be far behind, I still just don’t see the ACC and SEC sticking to their guns and having a season.
I do. What would squash the ACC is if ND backs out. That would require 10 teams to pick up another game, which might not be doable.

The money from the ACC Network and NBC would be too much to pass up. If the ACC and SEC were the only P5 conferences playing, there's be beaucoup national airtime for those schools (if they played). ABC and ESPN would become the ACC/SEC Networks.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I spoke with a friend of mine who’s a booster at Michigan St. He said some of the schools might give the B10 the finger and go find a way to play. Whether it be independent or join a conference for a year.
I just wonder if this has any collateral damage going forward with school/conferences relationships and sparks realignments?

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
I spoke with a friend of mine who’s a booster at Michigan St. He said some of the schools might give the B10 the finger and go find a way to play. Whether it be independent or join a conference for a year.
I just wonder if this has any collateral damage going forward with school/conferences relationships and sparks realignments?

I don’t think it’s as easy as just joining a conference for a year:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
They signed their rights away just like us, If the play that TV money would go to the Big 10.

Deleted member 2897

Eyeballs and ad dollars are getting concentrated. The money on the line for those left is increasing.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
For those absolutely wanting football, it sounds like we (ACC fans) need to be rooting for the BIG12 to opt not to cancel/postpone. Sounds like ACC decision makers are leaning on the BIG12’s decision.

How does the Big 10 play in the Spring? Pac 12, CU can't play, unless we get an unusually snowless spring. Also who wins in Late February into March on ESPN, Football or Basketball? What happens to the NFL draft, can't be done in April.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Alot of eyes will be on the B12 tonight. I believe they have a meeting tonight and they were reportedly pretty evenly split in terms of what to do. If they decide to cancel now then I think fall is done, if they decide to postpone any decision then the three remaining P5 go on and play the wait and see game.

Bowl system took a huge hit today though. That is now 53 FBS programs out for fall, over 40%, and there are now officially fewer teams than there are bowl slots. That also means a hit for ESPN since they own alot of the bowls and broadcast them.

FWIW, my belief is that B12 won't cancel yet, they have been followers this whole time.
It was almost 3 weeks from when Big10 announced its plan to go to conference only schedule to when the ACC announced its plans and then the SEC announced a day later. Big 12 announced the following week. So I think this goes at least another 3 weeks. The Presidents will likely wait to see if they have outbreaks in their schools and communities.

I do wonder about the CFB. With the B10 and PAC12 announcing they are cancelling fall but looking to play in Spring what happens if you have a split in when teams play. Is it even possible to have a CFB?

Finally, to give a sense of how difficult this might become for the universities, I live in Cherokee Co and it was announced this afternoon that Etowah HS will be closed after today until Aug 31st due to a COVID outbreak. (they already had 1/8 of the school quarantined as of Monday and have had at least 14 more positive tests since then and have 15 outstanding).

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The eyeballs and ad money and so on are increasing for those left.

Which is of course a double-edged sword. If they go forward and can play the season and it goes well then it is a huge boost to the schools and programs. If they play the season and there are outbreaks and it falls apart it will be very bad for the Presidents and potentially the schools themselves.