The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
That’s exactly right (what they would be doing), and why the argument is so unserious. If they were serious, they wouldn’t have kids in dorms, on campus apartments, and so on.

They can have kids splitting class attendance. At my daughters school it is maximum one day a week in class for all classes. 50% per day for Tuesday/Thursday classes. 33% per day for Mon/Wed/Fri classes. They are supposed to use the extra space for distancing. I don't know how well it will work because they won't start actual classes until tomorrow. They can wear masks everywhere on campus.(It is a requirement) They can be separated.

You can't play football with separation. You can't play football with masks.(At least not during plays) During football the players are sweating and breathing hard. There will be respiratory droplets that get passed between players.

They can develop plans to keep students on campus separated and/or masked. They cannot develop such plans for playing football. The only way they can make football safer is to isolate the players from society. The MLB model of testing often doesn't appear to be working. The NBA model of completely isolating everyone with physical access to the team does appear to be working.

Deleted member 2897

They can have kids splitting class attendance. At my daughters school it is maximum one day a week in class for all classes. 50% per day for Tuesday/Thursday classes. 33% per day for Mon/Wed/Fri classes. They are supposed to use the extra space for distancing. I don't know how well it will work because they won't start actual classes until tomorrow. They can wear masks everywhere on campus.(It is a requirement) They can be separated.

You can't play football with separation. You can't play football with masks.(At least not during plays) During football the players are sweating and breathing hard. There will be respiratory droplets that get passed between players.

They can develop plans to keep students on campus separated and/or masked. They cannot develop such plans for playing football. The only way they can make football safer is to isolate the players from society. The MLB model of testing often doesn't appear to be working. The NBA model of completely isolating everyone with physical access to the team does appear to be working.

That is exactly right.

And if they think kids won’t congregate and hang out in dorms, on campus apartments, fraternity and sorority houses, restaurants, they’re crazy. Well they’re not crazy - they can just get all that tuition and housing and food money but claim ignorance and helplessness. Not so easy in football.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
That is exactly right.

And if they think kids won’t congregate and hang out in dorms, on campus apartments, fraternity and sorority houses, restaurants, they’re crazy. Well they’re not crazy - they can just get all that tuition and housing and food money but claim ignorance and helplessness. Not so easy in football.

My point is that contrary to what you have been saying, it is possible to plan separation and mask usage in the general student population to minimize virus spread. Schools might not be able to enforce it. Schools have zero authority to enforce it off campus. However, there can actually be plans for minimization.

In football it is impossible to develop a plan to minimize virus spread for players. Linemen are pushing each other all game long. Running backs and linebackers are hitting and tackling each other all game long. maybe the punter and place kicker have minimum contact as long as they aren't blocked or roughed, but that is about it. Symptom checking and virus testing is not working to prevent spread in MLB. A real isolation bubble does appear to be working for the NBA, but I haven't heard any football program that is proposing such a thing.

No plan for playing football is safer than the plan for the general student population. If players are not playing, and are following the mask and separation recommendations they will be safer than if they were playing football. There is no guarantee that students will follow the rules. There is no guarantee that every football player on a team will follow the rules either. If one lineman doesn't follow the rules, then it is likely that even the linemen who have been following the rules will get infected.

Deleted member 2897

My point is that contrary to what you have been saying, it is possible to plan separation and mask usage in the general student population to minimize virus spread. Schools might not be able to enforce it. Schools have zero authority to enforce it off campus. However, there can actually be plans for minimization.

In football it is impossible to develop a plan to minimize virus spread for players. Linemen are pushing each other all game long. Running backs and linebackers are hitting and tackling each other all game long. maybe the punter and place kicker have minimum contact as long as they aren't blocked or roughed, but that is about it. Symptom checking and virus testing is not working to prevent spread in MLB. A real isolation bubble does appear to be working for the NBA, but I haven't heard any football program that is proposing such a thing.

No plan for playing football is safer than the plan for the general student population. If players are not playing, and are following the mask and separation recommendations they will be safer than if they were playing football. There is no guarantee that students will follow the rules. There is no guarantee that every football player on a team will follow the rules either. If one lineman doesn't follow the rules, then it is likely that even the linemen who have been following the rules will get infected.

Sorry, I was not trying to troll you or be argumentative. I do agree 100% exactly with what you’re saying. My point is the universities can get all the dorm, food, and tuition money without being sued because they can act shocked when they learn that students gathered in dorms, fraternity/sorority houses, restaurants, etc.

I do find it ironic universities are okay with all the health issues related to CTE and everything else. The lawyers must really have them up late at night on this one.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope a bunch of guys from the Big 10 that want to play go in the transfer portal tonight.

Do we HONESTLY expect the other major conferences to cancel/postpone as well? I just don’t see them opting to have a season/attempt a season without all major conferences, especially if PAC12 and/or BIG12 follow suit. What does it really accomplish?

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Anything related to it’s disease and treatment were likely moved to the main Coronavirus thread, which was closed. That’s in the main lounge. In the politics section of the lounge is a “Politics of COVID-19 Thread”.

So for all the people who had their posts moved and got warnings (you get a warning if you post about politics outside of the politics thread) that is why.

I'm not a mod, but I would suggest that the things that were moved were moved because they involved politics and were not about ACC player opt outs. If something is related to COVID and college football, I'd say the ACC delay thread has become the one where all that is being discussed.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, I was not trying to troll you or be argumentative. I do agree 100% exactly with what you’re saying. My point is the universities can get all the dorm, food, and tuition money without being sued because they can act shocked when they learn that students gathered in dorms, fraternity/sorority houses, restaurants, etc.

I do find it ironic universities are okay with all the health issues related to CTE and everything else. The lawyers must really have them up late at night on this one.

In an email from the D2 school I played at, the decision to cancel all fall sports there boiled down to last Friday when the NCAA released a statement that said (paraphrasing):
"If any student athlete get Covid, the school is on the hook for ALL medical care." The wording did not say "gets covid during athletic competition", but just gets it. So the SA could get sick by hanging out in a dorm room and the school would have to pay. That is what is driving the BIG10(14) and PAC 12 to say no, rather than fight the wording and the NCAA..

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Do we HONESTLY expect the other major conferences to cancel/postpone as well? I just don’t see them opting to have a season/attempt a season without all major conferences, especially if PAC12 and/or BIG12 follow suit. What does it really accomplish?
We're already playing a conference-only (plus 1) schedule. Why would we care what other conferences are doing? Optics? Maybe. But, since we changed the schedule, it really doesn't matter.

1. The ACC and SEC want to play for the AA budgets.
2. They believe they have protocols in place to limit the risk.
3. As soon as a team has an outbreak (looking at you Miami), the season will be done.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
In an email from the D2 school I played at, the decision to cancel all fall sports there boiled down to last Friday when the NCAA released a statement that said (paraphrasing):
"If any student athlete get Covid, the school is on the hook for ALL medical care." The wording did not say "gets covid during athletic competition", but just gets it. So the SA could get sick by hanging out in a dorm room and the school would have to pay. That is what is driving the BIG10(14) and PAC 12 to say no, rather than fight the wording and the NCAA..

From my brother in law's case, I know Remdesivir is about 40k. Granted, you have to be really really sick to get it.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
We're already playing a conference-only (plus 1) schedule. Why would we care what other conferences are doing? Optics? Maybe. But, since we changed the schedule, it really doesn't matter.

Well, not that the season is/was gonna make it that far anyway, but if you have another major conference (or two) drop out, now I think you lose now sponsors and even playoff possibilities, as I don’t see it being very attractive to those that put the money behind those to participate. Not if likely half/close to half of your major conference athletic programs are playing “in the spring” now.