The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
These schools are not going to willingly come out and say "no football" and just throw away all that revenue. What's going on behind the scenes is that every major school is anticipating that the season will not happen or will be cut short, as shown by the desperation from the Penn State AD saying "we could do football in the spring." Right now this is the "we don't want to lose our money parade" but when you look at the data and what's already happening in camp/throughout the country, the season has a minuscule chance of happening in my opinion. Especially with all these lunatics who are unwilling or are dumb enough to not understand why they need to wear masks.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) announced a new set of rules for foreign students - international students cannot enter or stay in the U.S. if their college offers courses only online in the fall semester.

From the academic side, this makes sense. If classes are only online, the vast majority wouldn't have a reason to step on campus, probably aside from in-person research and personal reasons.

But that also means international student athletes won't be able to participate. This user on reddit created a full list of who this would include:

From GT, it looks like only Sylvain Yondjouen (DL) is impacted.

Of course, there is the bigger question where, hypothetically, if ALL colleges/universities go online, would football / athletics even be considered?

ImaginaryBrightAngwantibo-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_lwcidnHbve1qauvgjo1_250.gif

Answer to this question is no. Once classes go online they are not going to have athletes show up, as they are "students." Also, what an absurd idea by ICE.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We shouldn't overlook the fact that Duke essentially shut down the ACC basketball tournament this past year. They pulled out of their game which effectively shut it down. Was probably the right decision but shows that one school can affect the entire league. Would Clemson be willing to play in a game when 37 of their players are tested positive and on quarantine? Would their opponent want to play them?

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I don’t know if you saw the update on Houston hospital issue, but they reach capacity but only for phase 1. There are two more phase and with each phase comes more beds

I have indeed been following it. I don’t mean now, nor did I intend at the time I posted the earlier info, to hit the panic button. Just offering an observation and data point from my area. There had been an ongoing conversation about the severity of the rise in numbers and also comments around furloughs of staff at hospitals based on low demand.

That’s not the case here. I know there are protocols in place for overflow options but the fact remains the cases count is moving in a concerning way here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I have indeed been following it. I don’t mean now, nor did I intend at the time I posted the earlier info, to hit the panic button. Just offering an observation and data point from my area. There had been an ongoing conversation about the severity of the rise in numbers and also comments around furloughs of staff at hospitals based on low demand.

That’s not the case here. I know there are protocols in place for overflow options but the fact remains the cases count is moving in a concerning way here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea case in Texas were always going to increase. Texas is seeing increase just like everyone with protesting. As well as the normal expectation with opening back up. Texas and a few other states has the problem of border crossings/migrant workers. The good news, deaths have gone down just as much as cases have increased. The length of hospitalization have also decreased. Biggest issue now and should have been from the beginning is protecting nursing home/long term care, they represent almost 50 % of the deaths but are only about 4% of the population.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) announced a new set of rules for foreign students - international students cannot enter or stay in the U.S. if their college offers courses only online in the fall semester.

From the academic side, this makes sense. If classes are only online, the vast majority wouldn't have a reason to step on campus, probably aside from in-person research and personal reasons.

But that also means international student athletes won't be able to participate. This user on reddit created a full list of who this would include:

From GT, it looks like only Sylvain Yondjouen (DL) is impacted.

Of course, there is the bigger question where, hypothetically, if ALL colleges/universities go online, would football / athletics even be considered?

ImaginaryBrightAngwantibo-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_lwcidnHbve1qauvgjo1_250.gif

I am ashamed that we are treating foreign students this way. They should be allowed to stay until this virus and college operations normalize.

On behalf of myself, I apologize for the actions of my country.

Have we no decency?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am ashamed that we are treating foreign students this way. They should be allowed to stay until this virus and college operations normalize.

Have we no decency?
UVA agrees... & I'm sure nearly all universities do too ...& UVA appears to be resdy to do whatever it takes to effectively keep all international students here who will want to be here.

Just really sucks... they have to maneuver to make it happen.

GT_EE78

Banned

Have we no decency?
Nah, you;re wrong about that.Americans must come first and its a reasonable restriction.

BigE

Georgia Tech Fan

Have we no decency?
This policy change reverts to the pre-COVID rules. Foreign students were given temporary relief to remain in country if not in in-person classes.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I will admit to being somewhat confused....I did understand that outdoor activities were much less risky. I get that if you are attending a packed stadium or rock concert, that you are in close contact with many other people...but in a socially distanced setting, one wonders where it falls on the chart.....