The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

LibertyTurns

Banned
All of us are losing and it sucks. Ain't no winners.

We should be talking about which freshmen is impressing the staff, and which of the guys worked their way into beast mode over the offseason. Instead we're arguing about Covid.

F%ck Covid...this sucks to hell..
Covid sucks worse than a politician trying to date your daughter.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
10,000,000 to 1 eh? Some quick googling says US population is about 328M and about 66% of that is under 50. So about 216M. What percentage of that do you think falls out of the categories you specified. Half? So maybe ~100M under 50 with no complications? Assuming all of them catch the virus at some point this year (over-estimation) we’re looking at 10 deaths total from that sub group? Not sure I buy that.

You’re also assuming none of our players/staff have underlying conditions or are over 50. Our staff might all actually happen to be under 50 right now? But that’s certainly not the case around the country. UNCs gonna have to put Mack in a full body condom for the whole season.

I will believe a respected hospital administrator who has treated dozens of these patients before I will believe google and I don't really care if you buy it or not. If people have underlying medical conditions or are, like myself, over 50 then they need to be extra careful. As I will be in not attending any college football games this fall.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I will believe a respected hospital administrator who has treated dozens of these patients before I will believe google and I don't really care if you buy it or not. If people have underlying medical conditions or are, like myself, over 50 then they need to be extra careful. As I will be in not attending any college football games this fall.

That was math / common sense. I guess I’d trust that over a second hand story of a healthcare worker’s offhand comment. Agree to disagree.

Either way that last part is the point I was making. You’re over 50 and are being careful by not attending games. There are coaches/staff around the country who are over 50. What do we do about them? Are they given the choice to participate? If they choose to participate what safety measures are going to be in place? Will they be in meeting rooms for practice? Will they be on the field on gameday? If they choose not to participate will they be paid? Are their jobs secure? Is there a limited capacity role they could fill? If they test positive are they isolated from the team completely? Are they allowed to coach remotely? Are they banned from stadium on gameday? If yes to any of those for how long is it required?

Do teams have to publicly report positive tests? Is there motivation (severe punishment) for teams to publicly report positive tests? How long do they have to sit out for?

Say one team has looser regulations than another, and only sits their players for 10 days following a positive test. What happens when the other team deems it unsafe for their team to play against them? Is it a forfeit? Is the game just vacated?

This is the tip of the iceberg of major decisions that - as of right now - every school in the country is making up for themselves. It’s the Wild West.

I’d put my money on college football being played in some capacity around the country, and especially in the SE. There’s too much money on the line - they’ll find a way. The trick is to have a well-thought out, comprehensive plan. And right now there’s not even a crap plan to pick apart. There’s nothing.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Ultimately let everyone make their own decision. That’s kind of the premise this country was founded on...
But when you can’t trust everyone to make the best decision for those around them(drunk driving, speeding in a school zone) you have to regulate things for the safety of others. Same situation should apply here but again...some ppl think they are being oppressed by something as simple as a mask. It’s stupidity and not believing science. Who doesn’t believe science?

Once these teams do travel around in confined spaces and to other states...do they attend classes? If so, you are then exposing new students to a potential Petri dish that they never would have been exposed too. If not, are they going to be exempt from attending class? It’s a whole nuther thing to take into consideration.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Most kids will probably be fine, but that doesn’t mean concern isn’t valid and shouldn’t be taken seriously. Some of these comments are laughing this off and/or implying these are bad/weak parents which is kind of gross of ya’ll and I hope recruits don’t see these comments. These are people. Not cardboard cutouts playing a game for your entertainment. Their concerns deserve to be heard.

In football specifically, you have to be worried about lineman. They fit the description of the young folks struggling with COVID to a tee. They have a high BMI. Unlike Basketball or Baseball, there’s several positions in Football where it actually benefits you to be obese. Therefore, there are plenty of kids who would be considered clinically obese throughout all of college football.

We don’t know players who have pre-existing conditions(unless Holly Rowe did a sideline report on it), but there’s definitely kids throughout college football that are more at risk that we don’t necessarily know of. Plus, there’s bound to be players that are more at risk that don’t even know it themselves(I am good friends with three different people who have pre-existing conditions. Two out of the three discovered their particular condition in their late 20s).

The point is, there ARE legitimate health risks and any self respecting parent would be at least cautious. As others have stated, the NBA and MLB have hundreds of pages on guidelines. Those are professional sports where athletes are grown men getting paid. Surely the NCAA, where nonprofessional college kids are playing, would have some sort of health guideline. That’s not too much to ask.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
College Football will Follow the NFL. NFL isn’t going to get scared with positive test, neither should CFB. These players are in elite physical condition. They have worked their whole lives to get here, they will be willing to strap it up and go play.
It's a wee bit more complicated than just the players, don't ya think?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
It's a wee bit more complicated than just the players, don't ya think?
Yes but fans will be the most simple part to manage. Follow protocol and if you get sick you decided to come to the game. Players make up 99/100 reasons why the season wouldn’t be played. Limited/no fans is 1 problem with the easiest solution IMO.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes but fans will be the most simple part to manage. Follow protocol and if you get sick you decided to come to the game. Players make up 99/100 reasons why the season wouldn’t be played. Limited/no fans is 1 problem with the easiest solution IMO.
Fans, coaches, media, staff doctors, security people, airplanes, buses, parents of players and support kids like managers, quarantines for infections, etc. etc. etc.
It's not just the fact that one player gets seriously ill ends it all, it's more like a powerhouse losing a couple of games due to their QB being quarantined or their HC being isolated during a critical game. Believe me, I want to see em play too, as I have since my first game in '62, but it just seems unlikely to me, in spite of stated intentions by ACC/sec officials.

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow
There are studies out there. We can argue all day about them but I'd stipulate that it's simply too soon to have enough data to make sweeping statements about long term health impacts.

Except, that's what the US Military did. As of now, if you've ever tested positive for COVID-19 you are disqualified from future military service. No waivers currently available. We know both MERS and SARS cause long term damage, it's reasonable to believe COVID-19 will as well.

The prohibition you are referencing changed the day after initial release. The restriction only applies to those previously hospitalized as a result of COVID-19. Simply testing positive is no longer disqualifying.

slugboy

Staff member
There are studies out there. We can argue all day about them but I'd stipulate that it's simply too soon to have enough data to make sweeping statements about long term health impacts.

Except, that's what the US Military did. As of now, if you've ever tested positive for COVID-19 you are disqualified from future military service. No waivers currently available. We know both MERS and SARS cause long term damage, it's reasonable to believe COVID-19 will as well.

I looked into the military policy on COVID-19 earlier, and there was some confusion in the messaging. It’s only if you’re hospitalized that you would be discharged or disqualified. You can still serve if you just test positive.

Unless they changed it recently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There is a lot of money at stake for the colleges that play Div I football and parents want to make sure someone is prioritizing the health of players over the athletic department bottom line.

One of the most disturbing things I have seen on this thread and on other forums around the ACC and SEC is the meme that fans' desires to have football on TV should have priority over the need to protect players and fans from the virus. All of us want football to return, but I would not encourage anyone to play this fall until there is greater assurance their well-being is first and foremost in the policies and actions of their college.

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/20...s-parents-want-covid-19-policy-from-ncaa.html

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Let me make my feelings very clear about this particular thread.

I want to see college football this season (I want to see college basketball even more but that isn't even a consideration until we pull off college football).

I don't think there is a reason at this point to not have a season due to college football players getting sick as long as any player who wants to sit out this year can do so keeping their scholarship and no team repurcussions. I do worry more about the older individuals in the program, not so much the 18-21 yr olds.

I'm not convinced having fans in the stands right now is a good idea - first, it has the potential to lead to community outbreaks which would be very bad, and second it could turn public opinion against playing the games if #1 happens, which is one thing I want to avoid because I would like some sports (yes I know that is selfish).

I'm hoping the NBA experiment in Orlando goes well because if it does it makes further sports more likely, but if it doesn't then I suspect sports become harder to stage.
While I haven't missed commuting to work (and was told today it will likely be 2021 before that changes), just about everything else about this sucks. Not getting to hang out with my work buddies, having to deal with a SWMBO who is a germaphobe. None of that is enjoyable.

If we don't deal with what is happening around us and get these numbers down I fear it could take away something we love doing and watching, and given everything we have all had to go through that would just add a further level of s*ck to what we are already dealing with.

Finally, I have not once lied on anything i've posted. If I've posted anything that has turned out to be less than 100% accurate i've always been willing to correct it. To say i've been wrong on everything is just not true.

slugboy

Staff member
And I thought it was a cesspool before....and this isn't the athletic department numbers

I just checked—UGA’s summer sessions are online, and anyone who can telework is allowed to. Considering that, 143 sounds high even with the size of their enrollment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Y'all do understand uga and Tech do not have to release their numbers for student-athletes unless they want.

This is an important note that I saw on another board. Due to the laws in GA the GA public schools do not have to report number of SA's who test positive as schools from some other states do.
So we are unlikely to get any positive counts from GT, UGA, GSU (both) in terms of SA's that test positive.