The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Coaches are included, and recruiting budget takes a big hit...

"By the guidance of the furlough plan – Lewis said that the department will align with the USG and institute furlough program – faculty and staff making $154,000 or more in base salary will have 16 unpaid days off for a 6.2% reduction in pay. That tier would include many Tech coaches (starting with football coach Geoff Collins, basketball coaches Nell Fortner and Josh Pastner, baseball coach Danny Hall and a number of assistant coaches) as well as athletic director Todd Stansbury."

"The travel and recruiting budget was reduced by 24% – $7.1 million to $5.4 million – and spending for uniforms and equipment is planned to be cut from $1 million to $657,000."

GT is hardly going to be the only University whose AA will have to have furloughs, it isn't even the first.

Nixon_Corral

Georgia Tech Fan
If you think that none of the "snowflakes" ***** and moan about masks, the you, like @bobongo, are also willfully ignorant.
I certainly haven't met one yet! But yes, I'm sure there is the odd mask-hating lefty/millennial. Just like there is the occasional openly gay right winger, and there's probably a millennial out there somewhere that has a landline phone. I'm talking about trends here.

I certainly haven't met one yet! But yes, I'm sure there is the odd mask-hating lefty/millennial. Just like there is the occasional openly gay right winger, and there's probably a millennial out there somewhere that has a landline phone. I'm talking about trends here.
So, I guess you are homophobic against Republican gays. From what I have seen, there are quite a few of them across the country, including some who appear from time to time on Fox News shows. Based on what I have seen of the protests and riots, there are more people engaging in them without masks, than with masks, other than the obvious antifa creeps, who cover their entire faces.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Just filled out my season ticket survey for them. Sounds like they just want to gauge how we feel about mask and social distancing. I don't think its a bad thing. Hopefully we will be able to attend and wear our mask.
I got that if they can only have a few fans at the games the are looking to see how many are willing to let them keep their money so they can see what they would have to put in their budget

Nixon_Corral

Georgia Tech Fan
So, I guess you are homophobic against Republican gays. From what I have seen, there are quite a few of them across the country, including some who appear from time to time on Fox News shows. Based on what I have seen of the protests and riots, there are more people engaging in them without masks, than with masks, other than the obvious antifa creeps, who cover their entire faces.
????
I'm not even going to engage the accusation of homophobia. Saying there are comparatively few openly gay people in a party that outwardly and actively works against their self-interests is almost by definition true. You're arguing completely in bad faith to suggest otherwise, and I think you know you are. But here's some non-partisan Pew Research data anyway.

Also, even a cursory glance at any pictures of the George Floyd protests on Wikipedia show images with a vast majority of participants wearing masks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Floyd_protests

You know who were not wearing masks? The MAGA morons in Michigan protesting for their right to get haircuts.

As for Antifa, I thought they did pretty well at the Battle of Normandy.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll want the last word. Be my guest. I'm gonna stop engaging the mask top to avoid further derailing this thread. The reason for that is I legitimately believe is that sports returning has very little to do with whether or not anyone in this thread wears a mask. It's gonna take a vaccine. But someone may well die as a result of someone in this thread not wearing a mask, and they may never know. I'll let y'all make that judgment call. One of Trump's most slam dunk states in November could hardly pull in 6000 people to see him. Maybe they've got more sense than I give them credit for. Or at least more than the folks in this thread.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The idea that the next 4 weeks are really important I would totally agree with.
If it goes all haywire the next 4 weeks then sports might never get up and running for this fall, that would s*ck.

The Saints Malcolm Jenkins is saying that football is a 'non-essential' business and the COVID crisis needs to get alot better before he would think about playing this fall. This is potentially important because he is one of the vice-presidents of the NFLPA. Due to the agreed upon COVID protocols the NFL has to have approval from the NFLPA before it can open training camps.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-during-covid-19-pandemic-we-dont-need-to-do/

also, i found this to be an interesting article. It talks about rising concern among college football players with playing this fall and that some college athletes want to reach out to the NCAA about it but want to find a way to do it anonymously because they are concerned about what will happen to them if they do it publicly. The article also mentions reporting by ESPN's Laura Rutledge that she is hearing that there are many more cases than we know about.
https://www.si.com/college/lsu/football/growing-concern-about-return-football

I have no idea right now what is going to happen over the next 2 months and frankly I doubt anyone else does either. The Kentucky Derby says they are going to have spectators - though they didn't say how many and the owner of the Houston Astros says he expects to have some fans in the stands. (That seems hard to believe given the current status in Houston - that is in one of 4 counties in TX that the Governor shut down elective surgeries). Louisiana's Gov announced they will stay in their current stage for at least another 28 days given the rise in cases in the state.

slugboy

Staff member
The Saints Malcolm Jenkins is saying that football is a 'non-essential' business and the COVID crisis needs to get alot better before he would think about playing this fall. This is potentially important because he is one of the vice-presidents of the NFLPA. Due to the agreed upon COVID protocols the NFL has to have approval from the NFLPA before it can open training camps.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-during-covid-19-pandemic-we-dont-need-to-do/
I'm hard-pressed to argue that he's wrong about the NFL being "non-essential", but there's no way they can work from home and have the NFL work. We're not limiting businesses to only essential businesses right now.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
To get this back on track, I think the only way you have fans in the stadiums this fall is at 25% attendance or less, with masks. Along with a moratorium on yelling and screaming. Clapping should be fine, and maybe we can all get noisemakers ala Miss. State.

Bands would be a no go outside of maybe percussion instruments (effectively spitting into an instrument isn't exactly the most sanitary thing ever)

To get this back on track, I think the only way you have fans in the stadiums this fall is at 25% attendance or less, with masks. Along with a moratorium on yelling and screaming. Clapping should be fine, and maybe we can all get noisemakers ala Miss. State.

Bands would be a no go outside of maybe percussion instruments (effectively spitting into an instrument isn't exactly the most sanitary thing ever)
Yeah, try to stop the yelling and screaming. No way !!! They could have a small spirit band that would allow for social distancing among its members. I think 50% allowed attendance would work, but no visiting fans.