The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah, try to stop the yelling and screaming. No way !!! They could have a small spirit band that would allow for social distancing among its members. I think 50% allowed attendance would work, but no visiting fans.

I agree with you. There is no way that fans aren't going to yell and scream.
If fans are allowed to be there, and that is clearly not a given right now, it will almost certainly have to be in some socially distanced way. With people spread out through the stadium, with specific entrance and exit times and gates.

I expect we will know more in roughly a month.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If they limit it to season ticket holders, there is, based on recent season ticket sales.
I have not heard how many season tickets have been sold this year, but in the past I thought it was 20,000 to 24,000. But if you have to keep the 6 foot rule you lose every other row. Then if you have to kill a seat on each side of some one ( which still would not be 6 foot) you would be down to less than 15,000 fans. Out of that parents of a players and some number of students would take some of those tickets.
One way around that in the survey that they sent if you marked I want to go no matter what they could group all those fans together I guess.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have not heard how many season tickets have been sold this year, but in the past I thought it was 20,000 to 24,000. But if you have to keep the 6 foot rule you lose every other row. Then if you have to kill a seat on each side of some one ( which still would not be 6 foot) you would be down to less than 15,000 fans. Out of that parents of a players and some number of students would take some of those tickets.
One way around that in the survey that they sent if you marked I want to go no matter what they could group all those fans together I guess.

tOSU modeled a 6-ft version and came up with between 20-22K in a 100K stadium. Apply that to GT and you are looking at about 11K.

Of course until we get closer we simply have no idea what the situation is and all this could be moot as we are able to have alot more in the stands or have no one.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

Just remember, if you have multiple season tix and you travel or live with the other people who share the tix, there is no need for distancing.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Just remember, if you have multiple season tix and you travel or live with the other people who share the tix, there is no need for distancing.
Yes I understand I get 3 season tickets for me and daughter just to have room. But that would be a long process for them to do to keep others 6 foot apart.
They will not be able to keep people 6 foot apart they will have a number they will let in and hope for the better . my guess is that number will be 22,000

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Fortunately it has more time than other sports, but i'm guessing at some point college football is going to have to have a safety protocols document.
We know the one for the NBA is 113 pages. MLB started with a 67 page document and it has now grown to over 100 pages.
https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/06/26/mlb-season-2020-operations-manual-changes

That is something I expect is going to be necessary before we can start playing games. Heck, my company sent out a 17 page document last week and it is likely to get most people (75%+) working from home until 2021.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not a good sign for sports. I think baseball has a chance because you can physically distance on the field and actually put players in the stands when waiting on their turn to bat (since fan attendance will probably be limited). Batters and infield players should wear a face mask before each play.

Tough to do with basketball and football.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not a good sign for sports. I think baseball has a chance because you can physically distance on the field and actually put players in the stands when waiting on their turn to bat (since fan attendance will probably be limited). Batters and infield players should wear a face mask before each play.

Tough to do with basketball and football.

This is okay and expected (although 5% is higher than I expected). If any cases pop up after them the NBA being in 'the bubble' for 2 weeks, then I think we should get worried. Otherwise, we may get some sort of a proven model for professional sports.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is okay and expected (although 5% is higher than I expected). If any cases pop up after them the NBA being in 'the bubble' for 2 weeks, then I think we should get worried. Otherwise, we may get some sort of a proven model for professional sports.

Outside of unknown health issues, basketball players are probably in the top 1% in terms of health. If herd immunity would work anywhere, it's for BBall players. Obviously it's not responsible to intentionally give anyone the virus, but theoretically 309 players getting it "over with" would be something.

Of course, it's just not about the players, but coaches and staff...and also their family that's in the bubble with them.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From a college football standpoint this is probably something to watch. This is the first article i've seen advocating for moving College Football to next spring. If cases continue to increase will this idea pick up steam.

Also from Yahoo Sports. NBA is basically the test case for sports in the short term. If they are unable to do it then probably no team sports will as they are considered to have the best plan of any sports league.