The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Honestly it's not worth even attempting if you are gonna shut it down with the first positive.
The question was, what are you going to do when a player tests positive. I don't think it would be appropriate to automatically shut it down. But maybe you need to test the rest of the team, including managers and coaches. Anyone who is in contact with the player who tested positive. That means having the capability to do the testing and get the results back quickly. But, for sure, that player has to be held out until he tests negative.

neb llarmus

Jolly Good Fellow
What I would like is push the season to start in March after March Madness. Assuming there is a basketball season. Would allow for the hopeful vaccine to be available by the end of the year and for fans to get vaccinated. Would also allow the regular flu season to dissipate. I would think the academic calendar could fit this. Seems to me the best shot at having a season with fans in the stands.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think each player can figure out whether they’re well enough to play. It ain’t that hard fellas.

No. They can't. That is exactly why we have concussion protocols. Lot's of players would choose to play when they shouldn't. Just because payer A feels well enough doesn't give him the right to infect other players who might not choose to be infected. There is no way the NCAA or any sports league lets a player who tested positive play until there is a vaccine available.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Flu season begins in the fall... basically corresponding to football season. Are there any studies indicating football players & staff have a higher rate of infection (of flu) than the general population? There seems to be a "feeling" the nature of the interaction of football teams would exacerbate transmission of a virus more than the "average" transmission in the general population.

I'd think the data exists to support such a hypothesis.

Edit... as I write this, fanless professional sports are officially happening in Darlington, SC. (y) It's only mid-May.

LibertyTurns

Banned
No. They can't. That is exactly why we have concussion protocols. Lot's of players would choose to play when they shouldn't. Just because payer A feels well enough doesn't give him the right to infect other players who might not choose to be infected. There is no way the NCAA or any sports league lets a player who tested positive play until there is a vaccine available.
There’s a difference between being knocked silly & not knowing what day it is and having a fever. One’s a bit more severe than the other & one the dude can tell, the other he doesn’t possess the capacity.

In Florida we’ve had 145 coronavirus hospital visits for kids under 25. That’s out of 1.95 million kids. That’s .0074% chance & I didn’t slip a decimal place. Our youngest fatality is a 26yo with a history of alcoholic cardiomyopathy. Kids who have very poor reactions to this virus have underlying medical issues & so does damn near everyone else it heavily impacts. 50% of our deaths in Florida have been nursing home patients and 83% of those that have died so far are over 65. The average age of those who have died is 77. Let’s not turn this into something it isn’t.

20yo football players do not present any sort of risk. They have a much greater chance of dying from steroid abuse, getting run over by a Marta bus, driving drunk, illegally using controlled substances, violent crime particularly by a family member or so-called friend, etc.

Time to look at the data and understand what it’s telling us & stop listening to the endless yammering of media, political and medical/business imbeciles either pandering for votes or trying to financially benefit from people being misled.

If you’re concerned don’t attend. If you’re a player that’s concerned, take a redshirt & stay home and wait until next year.

Bennett

Jolly Good Fellow
There’s a difference between being knocked silly & not knowing what day it is and having a fever. One’s a bit more severe than the other & one the dude can tell, the other he doesn’t possess the capacity.

In Florida we’ve had 145 coronavirus hospital visits for kids under 25. That’s out of 1.95 million kids. That’s .0074% chance & I didn’t slip a decimal place. Our youngest fatality is a 26yo with a history of alcoholic cardiomyopathy. Kids who have very poor reactions to this virus have underlying medical issues & so does damn near everyone else it heavily impacts. 50% of our deaths in Florida have been nursing home patients and 83% of those that have died so far are over 65. The average age of those who have died is 77. Let’s not turn this into something it isn’t.

20yo football players do not present any sort of risk. They have a much greater chance of dying from steroid abuse, getting run over by a Marta bus, driving drunk, illegally using controlled substances, violent crime particularly by a family member or so-called friend, etc.

Time to look at the data and understand what it’s telling us & stop listening to the endless yammering of media, political and medical/business imbeciles either pandering for votes or trying to financially benefit from people being misled.

If you’re concerned don’t attend. If you’re a player that’s concerned, take a redshirt & stay home and wait until next year.

How dare you speak the truth. Ban him now

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

It's not that easy. Coaches need to win and if a player is concerned then he knows **** well he will magically get processed if he redshirts. Forcing players to play in the unknowns of this disease, even if it's just an implicit understanding that they need to play or else, is wrong.

As it is, I am pretty sure that most every NCAA member institution is aware of the lawsuits that would immediately follow should a player die or even becom seriously ill with this disease after playing or practicing with an infected teammate/opponent.

We can disagree with how serious this disease is or isn't, but asking players to play with a sick teammate is ethically wrong.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
It's not that easy. Coaches need to win and if a player is concerned then he knows **** well he will magically get processed if he redshirts. Forcing players to play in the unknowns of this disease, even if it's just an implicit understanding that they need to play or else, is wrong.

As it is, I am pretty sure that most every NCAA member institution is aware of the lawsuits that would immediately follow should a player die or even becom seriously ill with this disease after playing or practicing with an infected teammate/opponent.

We can disagree with how serious this disease is or isn't, but asking players to play with a sick teammate is ethically wrong.

Outside in the sunshine there is virtually no chance of a player contracting the virus from another player.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Without testing there won't be games, it is really that simple - so universities will spend to have it. it is likely every player will have to be tested before every game. Since you can spread it without having symptoms you acutally do not know if you are sick in many cases.

And despite what people think there are young people who get sick and end up in the hospital and some even die.
I know of twentysomethings who have ended up in the hospital from this (completely healthy with no pre-existing conditions)

The single easiest way to transmit the virus is through close physical contact, whether that be inside or outside is somewhat irrelevant if the contact is close enough, that overrides everything else.

I'm excited to possibly get some football, but i'm not dumb enough to think there isn't a real possibility that a point may come if an outbreak is tied to a game that the games will end. Actually, if an outbreak occurs and it is tied to a game then I fully expect that will be the end.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Without testing there won't be games, it is really that simple - so universities will spend to have it. it is likely every player will have to be tested before every game. Since you can spread it without having symptoms you acutally do not know if you are sick in many cases.

And despite what people think there are young people who get sick and end up in the hospital and some even die.
I know of twentysomethings who have ended up in the hospital from this (completely healthy with no pre-existing conditions)

The single easiest way to transmit the virus is through close physical contact, whether that be inside or outside is somewhat irrelevant if the contact is close enough, that overrides everything else.

I'm excited to possibly get some football, but i'm not dumb enough to think there isn't a real possibility that a point may come if an outbreak is tied to a game that the games will end. Actually, if an outbreak occurs and it is tied to a game then I fully expect that will be the end.
Yeah, you are right. Without at least weekly testing for all players, coaches, and staff members, it seems like this would just never work. Some sports leagues are opening back up with twice a week testing. If that’s possible then it should be a goal at this point. Even with those things in place, if I’m a guy like Frank Solich, Mack Brown, or Nick Saban, then I might just take the year off.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, you are right. Without at least weekly testing for all players, coaches, and staff members, it seems like this would just never work. Some sports leagues are opening back up with twice a week testing. If that’s possible then it should be a goal at this point. Even with those things in place, if I’m a guy like Frank Solich, Mack Brown, or Nick Saban, then I might just take the year off.

There may not be anything to come back to.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
There may not be anything to come back to.
I honestly don't see that happening for a variety of reasons but that would be a pretty small price to pay. I could also see some kind of virtual role happening though. The coach would still be involved in a variety of ways, just wouldn't be at practice or games in person. For a guy like Solich (75) to spend hours everyday with 100+ kids who likely have little sense of personal responsibility would frankly be stupid.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I honestly don't see that happening for a variety of reasons but that would be a pretty small price to pay. I could also see some kind of virtual role happening though. The coach would still be involved in a variety of ways, just wouldn't be at practice or games in person. For a guy like Solich (75) to spend hours everyday with 100+ kids who likely have little sense of personal responsibility would frankly be stupid.
Stupid if the only metric in your life is "will I catch this virus" ...and I think that would be stupid. ...but it is up to the individual.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Stupid if the only metric in your life is "will I catch this virus" ...and I think that would be stupid. ...but it is up to the individual.
I personally agree.

While covid is serious, and more serious than the flu, it is NOT more deadly to young people than the flu. Hence my confusion over why there is so much consternation on such topics.

No one is suggesting that we should hold bridge tournaments at old age homes...that would be stupid given what we know. But we also seem to have many indications that this virus is very mild in your children (under age 16) and ramps up from there to become a big problem amongst very elderly folks. The risk would seem to be quite mild amongst college aged kids. As someone else has pointed out, the risk of catching an STD is much, MUCH higher than the risk of catching covid on a college campus. (There are about 2 million new cases every year of STD's in the 15-24 age group.)

Perhaps I just don't understand. Or perhaps there are those who prefer for whatever reason to continue to portray this as more serious than it is.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
For most people of any age I would imagine staying alive is a pretty important metric.
That is impossible to argue, I guess...with no context. No one wants to die... you got me there. However, there has to be context. But I think it very interesting point to discuss philosophically. Far more important and bigger than any talk about football or economy... to me.

So.. allow me to digress....
I do not want anyone to catch this virus. Personally, I am trying to be smart about staying safe. Should I contract the virus, life will go on. I will do all I can to fight it & protect those around me. Clearly the odds are...I will survive a positive diagnosis. However, I could die. I'm ready...or as ready as one can be, I suppose. At this point (for me), should I contract it... I will not blame myself, those around me, Trump, China, the state of Virginia, any protester or conspiracy theorist. I think I am armed with enough information to protect myself to max extent given the threat. No way can I eliminate the threat... no way I can expect the government or my neighbors to eliminate it. Everything we do everyday... even before this virus came along... is a decision (usually subconsciously) weighing the risk/reward... the cost/benefit... to ourselves and those around us.

Tomorrow is not guaranteed to be like today. Not all of us share those same calculations; yet we have to figure out a way to operate among each other.

Ok... back to college football.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
That is impossible to argue, I guess...with no context. No one wants to die... you got me there. However, there has to be context. But I think it very interesting point to discuss philosophically. Far more important and bigger than any talk about football or economy... to me.

So.. allow me to digress....
I do not want anyone to catch this virus. Personally, I am trying to be smart about staying safe. Should I contract the virus, life will go on. I will do all I can to fight it & protect those around me. Clearly the odds are...I will survive a positive diagnosis. However, I could die. I'm ready...or as ready as one can be, I suppose. At this point (for me), should I contract it... I will not blame myself, those around me, Trump, China, the state of Virginia, any protester or conspiracy theorist. I think I am armed with enough information to protect myself to max extent given the threat. No way can I eliminate the threat... no way I can expect the government or my neighbors to eliminate it. Everything we do everyday... even before this virus came along... is a decision (usually subconsciously) weighing the risk/reward... the cost/benefit... to ourselves and those around us.

Tomorrow is not guaranteed to be like today. Not all of us share those same calculations; yet we have to figure out a way to operate among each other.

Ok... back to college football.
I understand your perspective but it isn't quite the same perspective as a head coach. I am assuming that you don't come into close contact with over a hundred 18-23 year olds on a day to day basis on top of being around staff and other coaches as well. There is a significantly heightened risk for an elderly coach above a normal elderly person. I am curious as to how University Presidents will tackle this as well. These people are their employees and they have a legal obligation to protect them at their profession. That is why you are going to see many companies still forcing the elderly to work at home while they phase in other employees. This isn't really just a personal decision. Just imagine what would happen if a few Alabama players got the virus and recovered with no problem but it also got to Saban and he couldn't recover from it. The season would end, and lawsuits would be filed. Heck, because of his stature, we would likely get congressional hearings about it.