The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
i mentioned this in the other thread about how at some point college football is going to have to establish some protocols. NBA's is 113 pages, MLB is over 100. Even golf with its open spaces and individual players has a large protocol.

Otherwise as they get closer to the season it is something that has the potential to cause a huge PR problem that could impact their ability to play if the general public decides this is an issue.
I think public attitudes are more likely to cause sports stoppages than positive tests. If the general public turns against teams playing it will be very hard for any sports - professional or college to continue.

There was an article earlier this week that talked about how there is more unease among college athletes to play than we are seeing and they would like to talk to the NCAA about it but are trying to find a way to do it anonymously because they are worried about the repurcussions to them if they do it publicly.
I just do not think, you can play football with this situation. A nightmare is on the way

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The good news: Fall camp is usually two months from now. There are workouts that occur during July for development and to help SAs get acclimated for camp. There is still time to turn all of this around.

The bad news: Every state is operating from their own rules. Some states are requiring their residents to wear masks in public and around people, other states don't care. You may have some states that have low infection counts, while another state has high infection counts. As we're seeing in the Northeast, some states are discussing not letting residents from Southern states in. What if New York has that rule in effect during the season? Does it mean an ACC school from the South will need to cancel a game against Syracuse because a team like GT or Clemson is from a state on the no entry list?

The reality is, if we can't get this under control, despite all of our best intentions and hope that things get better, I see a VERY narrow path to having sports this fall. I think we'll start getting pushback from parents, and then the media will start running away with this. As much as the NCAA and colleges need to have games for financial reasons, the last thing they want is a PR nightmare.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
if a parent is concerned about this then they should just forbid their child to play. The odds on dying of the virus are less than a player dying from a broken neck on a block or tackle. So why ever let them participate anyway.

Go Jackets!

Is that true? I doubt that’s true. I can think of one death as a direct result of college football from the last decade or so - the Maryland kid that sunk Edsall’s career. Are there any more I’m forgetting? A couple deaths out of close to 100,000 kids? I’m guessing the death rate would be higher for corona for players. Although they’d both be very small.

It’s also not just the kids. Its the older staff that’s higher risk. It’s the spike in secondary cases as a direct result from teams not distancing. Broken necks aren’t contagious.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t play. It just seems like the NCAA is completely passing the baton to the schools. So there’s no central plan. Which was the point of the OP.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
if a parent is concerned about this then they should just forbid their child to play. The odds on dying of the virus are less than a player dying from a broken neck on a block or tackle. So why ever let them participate anyway.

Go Jackets!
I've haven't seen any stats that would support this statement. It's basically a false statement.

CDC just released a study through May 30th. In it 1,234 individuals 10-19 have been admitted to the hospital - 2.5% of all testing positive cases.
216 ended up in ICU (that's 0.4% of all testing positive cases). 33 died (o.1% of all covid positive cases).
Note that due to the data cutoff date those raw numbers probably need to be raised 75% to account for where we stand today.
Those are small numbers. But I don't know of any football players that have died from a broken neck much less 33.
Note that is conservative as the numbers for the 20-29 age group are much higher than the 10-19 age group - even if very small compared to the older populations.
In the 20-29 age group the numbers are 6,704 hospitalized (3.7%), 864 in ICU (0.5%), 273 deaths (0.1%)
Once again assume those numbers are roughly 75% higher today.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/pdfs/mm6924e2-H.pdf

I'm not arguing young people are at high risk, that is not the case, but to say that young people are more likely to die from a football injury is not likely to hold up to any scrutiny.

Interestingly, the avg age of death in the US is younger than it is in Europe. US has a much smaller share of its death coming from 80+ compared to europe while it has larger percentages coming from 40-69 yr olds. In each age bracket between 40-70 the US death % is a little less than twice that of Europe.

20200627_WOC211.png

Milwaukee

Banned

Go Jackets!

You have to remember this is the same generation of parents that never spanked or disciplined their children because it was just too tough on the child, so I’m not surprised. Lol.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
Exactly. I’m confused why everyone is so worried about the players here. Clemson has like a quarter of their team infected and they’re almost all asymptomatic...why is that bad news?

Tough to blame the parents though. The news is just throwing stuff in your face every day about how scary this thing is. Even rational folks are having a hard time digesting it and staying calm.

Too much fear...

Milwaukee

Banned
Exactly. I’m confused why everyone is so worried about the players here. Clemson has like a quarter of their team infected and they’re almost all asymptomatic...why is that bad news?

Tough to blame the parents though. The news is just throwing stuff in your face every day about how scary this thing is. Even rational folks are having a hard time digesting it and staying calm.

Too much fear...

About half are asymptomatic last I read. But they’re all still fine.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
College Football will Follow the NFL. NFL isn’t going to get scared with positive test, neither should CFB. These players are in elite physical condition. They have worked their whole lives to get here, they will be willing to strap it up and go play.