The “Money Men”

SJBryan

Georgia Tech Fan
I’m tired of talking about it and reading about it. If they want him gone, let him go. If he’s staying- get behind him best we can and support the players and Coaches. Whichever it is, get it done. The small fries of the group( me included) want to see positive vibes coming on the pages and Recruits signing up. Those that left, best of luck to you, but shake the bushes and trees and let’s get this thing going in the right direction.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Enlightening article about where we are as a program and what the big donors think. Especially telling to say you expect 8 wins next year and that if you can’t get that in your fourth year as a coach then you have probably hit your ceiling as a coach.

In addition to that “wow” comment is the flat out statement that the AD job is on the line since he “has his man” and if Collins doesn’t get it done they are probably both gone.

Neither donor was angry just being blunt about what they see as the lowest point in Tech football in their lifetime. They are matter of fact in saying things have to change.

Strong article.

slugboy

Staff member
Can someone copy and paste it?
That’s what I just deleted. It’s not “fair use” to post the entire article, and we’re not set up to handle a DCMA takedown request.

You can click on the link

The nutshell is that Zelnak and Gregg Garrett are major donors. Garrett is really well known on the Football side. I think they’ve probably been able to have a 1:1 conversation with a coach since at least the O’Leary days, if not before. (That’s not in the article, but Garrett has always had “ the inside scoop”).

I won’t give the entire article, but the gist is
  • Both of them expected to be close to bowling this year, and if a 5-7 season happened, it would be because of a couple of near-misses, but we’d be competitive
  • They both think there’s plenty of talent on the team
  • They’re PO’ed about the state of the defense.
  • For the stat-heads, we ranked dead last in passing efficiency defense
  • Zelnak wants Thacker gone, but Collins kept him “because he knows this defense” <read between the lines about next year’s defense, there>
  • Zelnak was not a fan of Patenaude’s offense (and maybe not of Patenaude)
  • Garrett is looking for 8 or so wins—not just barely winning.
  • Collins was brought in to elevate the team, and so it should be playing top of the conference.
  • No more lip service, time to win
  • Win or bust season next year

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Well next year will definitely be more interesting now. We will literally watch the fate of our coach and AD play out in real time.

Drama won’t be in short supply

Good to know the big money guys think like we do.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
this was a pretty big quote in the article to me

“My big question mark is why is (defensive coordinator Andrew) Thacker still here?” he said. “My understanding is that Collins commented to a GTAA senior staff-level guy that he wanted to keep Thacker because Thacker knew the defense.”

Zelnak then noted Tech’s defensive ranking near the bottom of FBS. The Jackets rank 117th in total defense after finishing 109th in 2020 and 89th in 2019.

“So my question is, what defense?” he asked.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I mentioned in an earlier post about the "measured mile" in the corporate world. Collins is now on it. TStan may be as well. Most of the time the ending was not good.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
At this point I wish we’d just cut bate. All the drama around this makes it so he’s a lame duck next year anyways for what appear to be money reasons.
Yeah it definitely adds to the frustration. Just wait until next season. You think the fans are apathetic NOWWWW. Just wait until we know how the story will most likely end. And we all have to suffer another season just waiting for it to all end, only to start all over again lol

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Well next year will definitely be more interesting now. We will literally watch the fate of our coach and AD play out in real time.

Drama won’t be in short supply

Good to know the big money guys think like we do.
It is. But damn if I were donating millions and asking the same questions as the minions on a message board I’d be more than furious.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Yeah it definitely adds to the frustration. Just wait until next season. You think the fans are apathetic NOWWWW. Just wait until we know how the story will most likely end. And we all have to suffer another season just waiting for it to all end, only to start all over again lol
At least the last game won't be full of dwag fans.