That should be Geoff’s last game as head coach

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
This is about way more than the current coach now, it has become about the current AD. He willingly made it so. He must be held accountable for his doubling down against those who wanted change last December when he threw his "I've got My MAN" in their faces and His Man continued to fail at a historic level. They have not forgotten that the AD tied his own employment at Tech with the current coach. "He bought the ticket, and now he has to take the ride".

Coach must go obviously, but the new AD must be the one who oversees the next hire and that has to start NOW.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
This is about way more than the current coach now, it has become about the current AD. He willingly made it so. He must be held accountable for his doubling down against those who wanted change last December when he threw his "I've got My MAN" in their faces and His Man continued to fail at a historic level. They have not forgotten that the AD tied his own employment at Tech with the current coach. "He bought the ticket, and now he has to take the ride".

Coach must go obviously, but the new AD must be the one who oversees the next hire and that has to start NOW.

Stansbury bought a ticket on the Titanic after it hit the iceberg and was already sinking when saying he had his man. He must go and cannot be involved in picking the next football coach.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the main difference in the competition isn't what happened at Ugag, but what happened at Tech. During all the Richt years we mostly had close games with Georgia, under both Chan and Paul. It is Tech's program that has lost the competitive edge, not Georgia's that has gained it. Kirby is a better coach then Richt, but just barely. But … he is on another planet from Collins. The damage done to Tech's program in the last 4 years is going to e very, very hard to repair.

Oth, Tech has repaired its program in the past and, imho, will do it again.

Kirby is 5x the coach Richt was. The handful of UGA fans I know all agree they finally got a real CFB coach like they hadn't had in a couple of decades. UGA was underperforming every season given their top 5 recruiting, big budget, big stadium and massive hold on the state of GA.

CPJ stayed competitive with UGA...until Kirby made UGA fundamentally strong on both sides of the ball. Suddenly GT was getting whipped BAD. Suddenly most of UGA opponents were getting whipped bad. Richt had two or three nail-biters every year where UGA was more than a TD favorite. Richt also had UGA losing a game they shouldn't lose...every year.

Richt went to Miami and stunk up the place. In his defense, every coach has stunk up the place since Coker (can't believe its been 20 years since Hurricanes were one of the top 5 programs in the nation for 15+ years).

Kirby is the best UGA coach of my lifetime, superior to Vince Dooley and several tiers above any that followed Dooley.

It's too bad we didn't get ahold of our own Kirby. Maybe we'll get lucky in the coming few years?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Kirby is 5x the coach Richt was. The handful of UGA fans I know all agree they finally got a real CFB coach like they hadn't had in a couple of decades. UGA was underperforming every season given their top 5 recruiting, big budget, big stadium and massive hold on the state of GA.

CPJ stayed competitive with UGA...until Kirby made UGA fundamentally strong on both sides of the ball. Suddenly GT was getting whipped BAD. Suddenly most of UGA opponents were getting whipped bad. Richt had two or three nail-biters every year where UGA was more than a TD favorite. Richt also had UGA losing a game they shouldn't lose...every year.

Richt went to Miami and stunk up the place. In his defense, every coach has stunk up the place since Coker (can't believe its been 20 years since Hurricanes were one of the top 5 programs in the nation for 15+ years).

Kirby is the best UGA coach of my lifetime, superior to Vince Dooley and several tiers above any that followed Dooley.

It's too bad we didn't get ahold of our own Kirby. Maybe we'll get lucky in the coming few years?
The problem with htis is that it misses why Kirby has been able to deliver (slightly better) then Richt. I don't think it has too much to do with Kirby. It has a lot to do with institutional commitment. And here I give Richt credit. I think he actually wanted UGA to win without the entire institution being wrapped up in doing so. He didn't want to run a program like the ones at Bama, Awbun, or Clempson. But … as those programs went all out, he found himself losing ground, despite great (there's no other word for it) recruiting.

I'm not sure why or how this was managed, but I'm pretty sure that the administration at UGA is now committed to doing anything to win, just like they were under Dooley. I also suspect that the foul underbelly of this will be exposed as time goes on. But, shoot, if UNC can get away with the kinds of shenanigans they did, who knows if that will make any difference.

I hope Tech never goes down that road, however.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The problem with htis is that it misses why Kirby has been able to deliver (slightly better) then Richt. I don't think it has too much to do with Kirby. It has a lot to do with institutional commitment. And here I give Richt credit. I think he actually wanted UGA to win without the entire institution being wrapped up in doing so. He didn't want to run a program like the ones at Bama, Awbun, or Clempson. But … as those programs went all out, he found himself losing ground, despite great (there's no other word for it) recruiting.

I'm not sure why or how this was managed, but I'm pretty sure that the administration at UGA is now committed to doing anything to win, just like they were under Dooley. I also suspect that the foul underbelly of this will be exposed as time goes on. But, shoot, if UNC can get away with the kinds of shenanigans they did, who knows if that will make any difference.

I hope Tech never goes down that road, however.
I think Richt's problem was discipline. They had a lot of good individual athletes under him. Now they have a lot of good athletes that play as a team. I can't imagine Kirby needing a special uniform or a planned penalty to get his guys motivated to play.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think Richt's problem was discipline. They had a lot of good individual athletes under him. Now they have a lot of good athletes that play as a team. I can't imagine Kirby needing a special uniform or a planned penalty to get his guys motivated to play.
Its funny how teams with coaches who lack discipline and hug alot all stink. Hmmmm

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I am going to get ahead and shift to the end of this thread and say that the Tech-Dwag game should be his last game. (In case TStan or a new AD lack the gumption or the wherewithal to make it happen sooner.)

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I am going to get ahead and shift to the end of this thread and say that the Tech-Dwag game should be his last game. (In case TStan or a new AD lack the gumption or the wherewithal to make it happen sooner.)

You know how your stomach drops when you hear really bad news? Your post did that to mine in some type of precognitive emotional response. Thanks a lot, buddy.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
me·tas·ta·sis /məˈtastəsəs/
noun
MEDICINE
  1. the development of secondary malignant growths at a distance from a primary site of cancer.
    "an increased risk of metastasis"