That should be Geoff’s last game as head coach

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
I doubt it, simply because we’d have seen the rumor posted by now from a reliable and known source. I haven’t.

I agree and this is concerning. If there’s no action, I can’t fathom a scenario where the rest of our games don’t continue to play out like yesterday - lifeless. If the school doesn’t care about football, why should the players?

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I agree and this is concerning. If there’s no action, I can’t fathom a scenario where the rest of our games don’t continue to play out like yesterday - lifeless. If the school doesn’t care about football, why should the players?
You could argue the same situation happened with CPJ. CPJ often argued that the school doesn't care about football nor the fan base, especially in terms of funding.

The issue now is Collins is making that situation worse especially with the media and fanbase. Even in CPJs best years we still had funding and attendence issues. Now we basically have hit rock bottom.
Collins may have a sound vision for where the school could go but even not being hamstrung by funding he's managed to tank the program even lower

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
CPJ often argued that the school doesn't care about football nor the fan base, especially in terms of funding.
There's self-inflicted wounds there too. Bruce Pearl, Auburn basketball coach is a good example. He took over a struggling AU team that had limited fan support and a crappy W/L record and through sheer force of personality, created demand for the product. Public speaking, being visible and approachable, outdoor events ... Bruce was everywhere.

We need a coach who is good at X's and O's and building excitement. Excitement wasn't CPJ's forte.

I pity the next coach. He's going to have a lot of fanbase repair to do. It's doable. But why Tech continues to shoot itself in the foot is a mystery.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I hear you. But doing not a damn thing is far worse.
There are no good options. You can argue that Geoff did the right thing and negotiated fairly and it didn't work out. So, offer him a job as GTAA Assistant AD in charge of Player Recruiting and Development (aka, Food and Beverage Director) and pay him $1M a year for ten years.

Or, rip the bandaid off and just say Goodbye.

Given his toxicity at this point, I'm in the bandaid camp. Don't go way mad, just go away.

I think Geoff will never coach P5 again.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think Geoff will never coach P5 again.
Yes he will. The fraternity is strong and he’ll be picked up by a mid to low level SEC team for cheap (because we made him a millionaire) to be the rah rah guy. Ole Miss had 2 of them yesterday. It’s why he brought Chaney and Hevesy to GT. If you reward the fraternity you’ll be rewarded. He’ll never be a head coach but since he can basically work for free thanks to TStan he’ll slowly build back his career by taking those type of positions to keep his Rolodex fresh.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yes he will. The fraternity is strong and he’ll be picked up by a mid to low level SEC team for cheap (because we made him a millionaire) to be the rah rah guy. Ole Miss had 2 of them yesterday. It’s why he brought Chaney and Hevesy to GT. If you reward the fraternity you’ll be rewarded. He’ll never be a head coach but since he can basically work for free thanks to TStan he’ll slowly build back his career by taking those type of positions to keep his Rolodex fresh.
OK, as an assistant, maybe. HC? No way.

Geoff once said if things didn't work out in college, he would go the NFL and work in Player Development. I think that is what is most likely.

VRTechFan

Georgia Tech Fan
the problem is eventually you just don’t have the athletes to compete. we are stuck playing clemson and uga til the end of time, running the option was basically being content to lose those two games til the end of time. it was the right move to try SOMETHING, but collins wasn’t the coach.

he showed you can deliver a top 25 recruiting class, but you have to follow up or they all leave. obviously we need a coach that’s good at both recruiting and game day coaching but that’s gonna be hard unless we luck out on a g5 hire or we pony up the money.
The problem that we had in the option offense was needing to have a great quarterback to run it. Taquon was not that great and we struggled against the Clemson's and the UGAs. I really believed that if CPJ stayed Oliver would have been a great QB for us for a couple of years, and maybe have beaten Clemson or UGa at least once. I don't understand the obsession of having top 25 recruiting here at Tech. We've had significantly better recruiting the past 4 yrs but it hasn't translated to more wins. Coaching will always be superior to having talent. CPJ was the man and brilliant in what he did. It's a shame that we forced him into retirement because we wanted our Tech football team to throw the ball more. It's a shame that we weren't satisfied with an average 7 win seasons and when everything lined up, an occasional 10 win season. We deserve every bit of this dumpster fire. 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
7C6BE83B-AB54-498E-A842-0A05CFABC6C8.jpeg

Anyone a subscriber with insight to this tweet?

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Get em out bring in Wisenhunt on a 3 year deal, get us back to bowl eligible and make the next hire after we join the big10
I would be for negotiating with Geoff to pay him the same payout as it would be at the end of the year, but do it now. It would give Geoff time to negotiate his next position with known money and give us time to explore our next head coach. The question for the remainder of the year is who do you make the interim coach. I would have said Long at the beginning of the year based on experience with Notre Dame and his personality being a harder edge. But now not sure. But if Long, you give him the rest of the season to see if he is viable for the future. But if we don't move Geoff out and the clear frustration with the team, based case is 3 wins and complete loss of the fanbase.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I would be for negotiating with Geoff to pay him the same payout as it would be at the end of the year, but do it now. It would give Geoff time to negotiate his next position with known money and give us time to explore our next head coach.

That would be a short negotiating then.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
Am I dreaming, or we did we actually beat UGA just six years ago? That seems now like it must have been a century or more in the past.

That was pre-Kirby. Richt was an awful coach at an easy-to-win at program. His 8 and 9 win seasons would be 4 and 5 win seasons at GT if he were our coach. No excuse not winning SEC championships, competing yearly with Bama and NC when you have a top 5 recruiting class EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Kirby is a good coach, leader and recruiter (or at least he hires the right personnel/coaches around him to get it done). We have no shot of beating UGA until Kirby is gone, which might be 10, 20 or 30 years.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
The problem that we had in the option offense was needing to have a great quarterback to run it. Taquon was not that great and we struggled against the Clemson's and the UGAs. I really believed that if CPJ stayed Oliver would have been a great QB for us for a couple of years, and maybe have beaten Clemson or UGa at least once. I don't understand the obsession of having top 25 recruiting here at Tech. We've had significantly better recruiting the past 4 yrs but it hasn't translated to more wins. Coaching will always be superior to having talent. CPJ was the man and brilliant in what he did. It's a shame that we forced him into retirement because we wanted our Tech football team to throw the ball more. It's a shame that we weren't satisfied with an average 7 win seasons and when everything lined up, an occasional 10 win season. We deserve every bit of this dumpster fire. 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽

I am a mild fan of the TO at Tech. I really was pumped over the CPJ hire after watching him make GSU relevant again (after several years of mediocrity in 1-AA) and then taking Navy back to glory after years of losing records.

I was at CPJ's last game, against UGA. As much as TO made us competitive, the fact the beatdown in Athens was so complete (embarrassing for me as a Tech fan), it was clear to me Kirby was a different breed from Richt, Donnan, Goff and Dooley. His team was so well prepared that shutting down the TO, something many other teams with great talent struggled with, was a piece of cake. The discipline by the defense convinced me that beating UGA again any time soon would be pipe dream, barring us hiring our own version of Kirby Smart (very difficult to do...lots of luck and $$$ needed).

I'd like to see GT get a smothering defense (a little easier to accomplish) and a more straight forward pro-style offense with a REAL passing QB. Its nice if they can run, but I want a passing QB, no more dual-threats that can't run or pass all that well, but do both at mediocre levels (Sims is one of these, can't throw two passes in a row with any chance of being caught).