Thacker should be done

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
People are flat wrong calling this clip a bad look.

The offense was on the field, and he was talking to the booth while looking at a play sheet. That’s called coaching. He was getting information.

Was it a bad look to give up so many points and miss the run fits? Sure, we were gassed, demoralized and outmatched. We don’t need to be inventing reasons to be angry with the results and the coaches / players who own responsibility for the on field product.

Remember these coaches and players are human beings and other families and emotions too. Losing is never fun, and the rate and fashion of losses we have seen in their regime is crushing. Let’s not lose our humanity as well.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Frankly, he can take Long with him. I see no improvement and total regression in all phases of the offense since the decent 2.5-qtr start we had vs Clemson.

Sims has, bizarrely, gotten worse too. Take Weinke with him as well.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Frankly, he can take Long with him. I see no improvement and total regression in all phases of the offense since the decent 2.5-qtr start we had vs Clemson.

Sims has, bizarrely, gotten worse too. Take Weinke with him as well.
There has to be something wrong with Sims. He has cut his runs short of the 1st down multiple times now, including the 3rd down run that failed and led to the blocked punt. He'll bounce a pass off of a defender's hands and not even slap his helmet or react at all. Why did we not even try to run out a different QB in the 4th quarter when we had done nothing all day?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
There has to be something wrong with Sims. He has cut his runs short of the 1st down multiple times now, including the 3rd down run that failed and led to the blocked punt. He'll bounce a pass off of a defender's hands and not even slap his helmet or react at all. Why did we not even try to run out a different QB in the 4th quarter when we had done nothing all day?
There’s nothing wrong with him, that’s just who he his. That’s who he’s been for 3 years. People have been holding out the whole time saying he’s young and that he’ll develop. Well there’s been no development. He’s the same exact player he’s been since the 2020 FSU game. I don’t know if he’s nervous, timid, scared, uninterested, or all of the above, but he just doesn’t have the “it” factor you need to be a high level QB. If Yates had Sims’ abilities he would be an All-ACC QB. Or if Sims had Yates’ mentality he might be an NFL QB with his size. It’s just not there. I hope for his sake someone is able to get that next level out of him, otherwise he’ll never be any more than mediocre.

I’m ready for Gibson or the Clemson guy to get some time. We spent 3 years avoiding playing any backup QB because it would be bad for Sims’ development and Sims was supposed to be our future, but it’s clear he’s not the guy. Maybe there’s a QB in the room with some heart, some fight, and a will to win that will inspire change on the offensive side of the ball. If they aren’t any better than Sims who cares at this point. He’s probably gone after this year anyway since he was Geoff’s shining star. I’d rather watch Zach Pyron try to figure it out than Sims lay down and quit every game.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
"Tech gave up 42 points (the 14th 40-point game of Collins’ 37-game tenure, all losses),
Sometimes statistics tell an epic tale. This is so not good. That means we are still only 10-13 when holding teams under 40 pts.

"I learned from Chuck Noll in Pittsburgh that speed and explosiveness on defense is the way to build a team. Both are difficult for your opponent to assimilate in practice and then in games it is even harder to match." - Tony Dungy

I don't know who the next coach will be, but I hope he is better at coaching defense.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Sometimes statistics tell an epic tale. This is so not good. That means we are still only 10-13 when holding teams under 40 pts.

"I learned from Chuck Noll in Pittsburgh that speed and explosiveness on defense is the way to build a team. Both are difficult for your opponent to assimilate in practice and then in games it is even harder to match." - Tony Dungy

I don't know who the next coach will be, but I hope he is better at coaching defense.
we have 9 blow out losses (30+ points) to just 10 wins.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
In what world do you think Long can fix anything? He stunk at ND, did nothing at Tulane, and has been worse than PNode here. Wake up already.
yeah I'm not seeing anything good out of Long either. Reminds me of that Nate Woody experiment in the last days of PJ.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
yeah I'm not seeing anything good out of Long either. Reminds me of that Nate Woody experiment in the last days of PJ.

It's similar because in both instances our fanbase expects instant gratification without bothering to think that it might take a season to get it fixed...

The issue isn't Long, it's CGC waiting too long to fire CDP in the first place

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder what our opinions of Thacker would be if we had any semblance of an offense and special teams that remembered how to block.

They seem to hold up decently well until they are gassed midway through the 3rd and into the 4th given our inability to keep our offense on the field.

Maybe it’s just me trying to find a silver lining.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I wonder what our opinions of Thacker would be if we had any semblance of an offense and special teams that remembered how to block.

They seem to hold up decently well until they are gassed midway through the 3rd and into the 4th given our inability to keep our offense on the field.

I don't know that I agree with that. We seem to either force a 3 and out on defense or give up a TD. They do get gassed late in the game as well I will agree.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

We are the 7th ranked team in the nation in TFL. Our DL/LB is generating havoc and it's been a while since I could say that. There are some positives on defense this year, but our offense is killing them.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

The D really looked good on the first drive Saturday didn't they? Maybe they were tired from staying up late doing their homework. Our DL was manhandled Saturday from the opening kickoff. We couldn't set the edge and off tackle slants were there all day for the taking. Our DE's couldn't get off their blocks. Probably held but not called. Were any adjustments made? If so they sure didn't work. That score could have been a lot worse. All facets of our team were bad on Saturday.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The D really looked good on the first drive Saturday didn't they? Maybe they were tired from staying up late doing their homework. Our DL was manhandled Saturday from the opening kickoff. We couldn't set the edge and off tackle slants were there all day for the taking. Our DE's couldn't get off their blocks. Probably held but not called. Were any adjustments made? If so they sure didn't work. That score could have been a lot worse. All facets of our team were bad on Saturday.

I never judge a defense in a game by the first drive. The opposing team comes in and runs scripted plays to pick apart our tendencies that they pick up in the game film. The defense was not in any way good last Saturday, but it wasn't as bad as it looked either. 12 TFL is nothing to sneeze at. We just need to get off the field a bit more often and the O needs to KEEP us off it longer.

Reactions: CEB

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I never judge a defense in a game by the first drive. The opposing team comes in and runs scripted plays to pick apart our tendencies that they pick up in the game film. The defense was not in any way good last Saturday, but it wasn't as bad as it looked either. 12 TFL is nothing to sneeze at. We just need to get off the field a bit more often and the O needs to KEEP us off it longer.
Not sure they learned much from that scripted drive since everything they ran was working and churning big yardage.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just like a lot of engineers I knew over the years. They know the vocabulary and sound knowledgeable in meetings but couldn't figure out how to use even a simple multimeter in the lab. Pretty good a PowerPoint though.
Linear thinking is good in engineering area. 🤔

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn’t say they were great. But I think Thacker is doing a little better than he gets credit for.

But for the first half - we gave up 3 touchdowns and forced 3 stops. 1 of those touchdowns was a direct result of a 20 yard field given our “special” teams.

All the while here is our offensive # of plays by possession … 3, 6, 10, 6, 6. Only 1 of 5 drives had any promise (10 play drive ending in turnover on downs). Otherwise every drive was <20 yards and 1 first down at best. We never consistently gave our defense a break nor flipped the field.

The defense isn’t great by any means. But that has to be exhausting for a defense. Plus the need to be perfect when your offense struggles putting one foot in front of the other?

Plus give credit where it is due. Ole miss is a good team - deserving of their top 25 rank.

Status
Not open for further replies.