Thacker and Tillman

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Both Tillman and Thacker have been on the road recruiting. This tells me Key has made his hires for secondary coaches, and/or a DC coach. Otherwise, both would still be on the road.

I'm guessing Key wants to get the new guys on the road and in front of recruits ASAP.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Football is a results driven profession all the way down to the high school level. I hate it for both of these men as they are great reps for GT and ultimately I see this as a fan pleasing move. Coaching is not rocket science, coaches may have a better analogy or technique for teaching that kids respond to. They may even have a better personality or recruiting techniques, nothing that can’t be learned. Hope they both land on their feet and have better success in their next roles.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The original story is from Football Scoop https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-georgia-tech-making-major-changes-to-defensive-staff

Not much to it, other than the DB coaches are gone. It’s surprising if you just looked at the performance of the different groups (though the DBs didn’t start great at run support this season).

I can’t read more into who stays and goes—other than that the last time Key fired someone he seemed to have replacements in mind.

EDIT: This is the second time in two days I’ve simultaneously posted the same link as someone else. JINX.
If Sherrer is being retained, that's essentially a change at LB too. So, essentially, all the coaches are changing except for DL. Sherrer would be taking on DC fully.

slugboy

Staff member
If Sherrer is being retained, that's essentially a change at LB too. So, essentially, all the coaches are changing except for DL. Sherrer would be taking on DC fully.
Coordinators usually have a position group too. Buster has the Tight Ends. Thacker as DC had LB for a while.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
This may be a move to give Sherrer more input in the coaching of our DB's during preparation for our bowl game. If that's the case, makes a lot of sense to me.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
Actually, yeah. (he coached just about everything but DL at one point)
Made me google - I figured that he was retired. Currently DC for the USFL New Orleans Breakers, along with his son Zach(Linebackers). He's certainly got a lot of experience under his belt since leaving Tech.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Honestly, I kinda assume the whole defensive staff will be new except Coleman.
Should Coleman even stay? Even though we have an All American DB and yet his position coach was canned our DL, as a position group, looked bland all season long. And if not for Keion White last year's Coleman's group has played seemingly uninspired football for two years running.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Should Coleman even stay? Even though we have an All American DB and yet his position coach was canned our DL, as a position group, looked bland all season long. And if not for Keion White last year's Coleman's group has played seemingly uninspired football for two years running.
In my mind our DL regressed a lot after Larry Knight left, and not just because Keion White wasn’t there. It seemed like we went from an attacking DL to a hold your blocks and wait for the LB‘s to make a play DL

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Coleman wasn’t with us last season with Keion. I also don’t understand Tillman being let go. DB was the best part of our D.
I thought Tillman was a big upgrade over the guys he replaced in Geoff’s last season. It may be that a wholesale change is coming (new DC) and those guys were the first to go because of contracts ending.