Thacker and Tillman

slugboy

Staff member
Summary of where we are right now:
  • Tillman and Thacker were shifted from their previous on-field coaching positions to office roles
  • At about the same time—we don’t have a good chronology as far as I know—Football Scoop posted a story with the contents of the first bullet point.
  • Brent Key said nice things about both Tillman and Thacker when he confirmed the news
  • There were quiet rumors of staff changes coming before the Tillman and Thacker news
  • We have a bowl game in exactly two weeks (today is the 8th, the bowl game is the 22nd).
  • The team is practicing
  • No news of either permanent or temporary replacements has been shared. No updates of any substance since Key made a comment
Right now, we’re in a “low information/high speculation” period.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
“low information/high speculation”
I'll play - why the secrecy(if any) around Thacker and Tillman? If they're not being retained past January, why not go ahead and announce that publicly. What advantage does holding cards close to the vest give CBK? I think that they'll likely be offered recruiting positions and the contract lapse will give them the option to go elsewhere if they want.

slugboy

Staff member
I'll play - why the secrecy(if any) around Thacker and Tillman? If they're not being retained past January, why not go ahead and announce that publicly. What advantage does holding cards close to the vest give CBK? I think that they'll likely be offered recruiting positions and the contract lapse will give them the option to go elsewhere if they want.
We just quietly fired two coaches. Key and the rest of the staff probably like and respect them. Their contracts go through January and they’ve been moved into office positions.

Maybe they stay as analysts, but I doubt it

The answer to pretty much everything is “there’s nothing to share at this time” or “it wouldn’t be professional or decent to comment”.

Last edited:

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If we’re not making staff changes until after the bowl game, it seems strange that we would go ahead and move the DB coaches to off-field roles so soon. I can’t imagine we’d try to bring in someone new and try to get them situated before the bowl game; there’s not enough time to install anything significant. Am I misunderstanding the announcement?

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
If we’re not making staff changes until after the bowl game, it seems strange that we would go ahead and move the DB coaches to off-field roles so soon. I can’t imagine we’d try to bring in someone new and try to get them situated before the bowl game; there’s not enough time to install anything significant. Am I misunderstanding the announcement?
We might not announce staff changes until after the bowl, but it does allow us to begin the process as it is pretty clear now a couple of the positions we'll be hiring. I don't have any inside info, but to me it signals Sherrer is probably staying and we are getting a jump on Thacker's and Tillman's replacements. If Sherrer wasn't going to be staying, they'd probably clean house all at once after the season and then let the new DC bring in a staff.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
It is possible that CBK is letting them know now that they will not be retained so that they are free to search for new jobs.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
It is possible that CBK is letting them know now that they will not be retained so that they are free to search for new jobs.
You don't have to publicly demote someone to let them know they are not being retained, it could have just been a private conversation. It seems more like external messaging where we're trying to use the time between now and our bowl game to get a head start on finding their replacements.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
You don't have to publicly demote someone to let them know they are not being retained, it could have just been a private conversation. It seems more like external messaging where we're trying to use the time between now and our bowl game to get a head start on finding their replacements.
You never know who leaked the info. It could have been someone in the departing coaches orbit rather than someone representing GT.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It could be that he (Key) intends to use some of the guys he has currently working as analysts or something else between now and the bowl. To do that, he would officially have to fire someone or move them off-field. There was no announcement of the change, just a verification when asked. This way, he can continue to utilize all his resources and TT and Thacker still have access to the facilities until their contract runs out or they hire-on at another school.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
If there is a new DC coming maybe they are sitting in waiting to see if he wants to hire them. Maybe CBK is letting the new DC do his defensive hiring, subject to CBK's approval. Then they answer to the new DC if they are hired.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
This. I agree Key probably had told them so they could discreetly job hunt while still hired which is much better than job hunting when you have no job. Then somebody leaked it, maybe an agent or maybe a mole, who knows. Then to limit the damage caused by the leak, Key announced they were moved to a non- coach position.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why your mind immediately goes to the negative, but I am inclined to believe that Key did it the right way and that the public demotion did not come from him.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
You never know who leaked the info. It could have been someone in the departing coaches orbit rather than someone representing GT.
Or it could have been a HS recruit who was unhappy with the news, and decided to let the press know.

Could have been any number of things. Agreed that none of us know for sure.

That being said, to me it seems reasonable that this news was not intended to get out at this time. Releasing the news now certainly doesn't help us with recruiting, and it doesn't necessarily help the two of them. Perhaps it was intended to become in January, after the two's contracts were up and they had hopefully found new jobs (with the time that was given to them to keep them on staff these next couple of months). That seems reasonable to me.

Which makes it kinda suck for them that the word got out.

Regardless, overall, it could mean that we already have our DC figured out, or their replacements figured out, or both. I could see it being reasonable that we've got our candidates set, but (like last year with Buster) they're not going to make the news public until after the bowl game.

That's of course speculation, but hey, that's all we can do for now.