Thacker and Tillman

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
For anyone who has played, how does it work with the bowl game when a coach either leaves or is let go prior to the game? Who handles all the responsibilities leading up to the game?

slugboy

Staff member
For anyone who has played, how does it work with the bowl game when a coach either leaves or is let go prior to the game? Who handles all the responsibilities leading up to the game?
We had this happen last season during the year. First, we were down a position from firing TFG. Second, we had to fire the RB coach for mysterious reasons. We moved people from advisory or consultant roles to on-field coaching positions for the rest of the season

That was a temporary staffing move. If we have a permanent staffing change already worked out, then you could see something different

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I thought Tillman was a big upgrade over the guys he replaced in Geoff’s last season. It may be that a wholesale change is coming (new DC) and those guys were the first to go because of contracts ending.
DC by commitee has to stop.
The dl, lb, db are not moving as a unit at second after the snap.
Watched a no offense Iowa play a very good Michigan team. They focused several end zone close ups of iowa defense. They play as one organic being - sliding to point of attack themmn making play.
Our guys are late getting started and then as they are "running" towards the point of attack , they have bad spacing.
Got to be quick but not in a hurry .
Hopefully moving a few guys around as part of a non G5 DC hire.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Coleman wasn’t with us last season with Keion. I also don’t understand Tillman being let go. DB was the best part of our D.
We don't yet know if Thacker and Tillman will be let go or not. As of now, it looks like they're being retained in off-field positions. Everyone at the GTAA has become very tight lipped (a very positive change), but the info up to now is that they're being retained in other "off-field" roles.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
We don't yet know if Thacker and Tillman will be let go or not. As of now, it looks like they're being retained in off-field positions.
I waffle on this. First impression is they're just marking time until their contracts expire. But if so, why not announce that they're not being retained? Maybe they'll be moved into recruiting roles?
Everyone at the GTAA has become very tight lipped (a very positive change),
Agreed, Batt seems to be all business. I like that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Made me google - I figured that he was retired. Currently DC for the USFL New Orleans Breakers, along with his son Zach(Linebackers). He's certainly got a lot of experience under his belt since leaving Tech.

He was a very "difficult" person to like from what I've heard. Very abrasive with other coaches on the staff. Usually wore out his welcome real quick.

He actually got along with Gailey because Gailey left him alone.

I've heard Paul Johnson initially wanted to keep him, but everyone knows the infamous bowl game story.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
He was a very "difficult" person to like from what I've heard. Very abrasive with other coaches on the staff. Usually wore out his welcome real quick.
I do recall that he wasn't the most likeable sort. The length of his resume may lend credence to "wearing out his welcome"...

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck

I've heard Paul Johnson initially wanted to keep him, but everyone knows the infamous bowl game story.
I actually don't know the Bowl game story

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I actually don't know the Bowl game story

Apparently Tenuta told CPJ to stay away from the team until the bowl game was over. It was "his team" until then.

Don't know veracity of it, but it was the rumor going around at the time.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Damn 2008-9 could have been on another level if that had happened. I was always under the impression Tenuta left on his own accord- pissed after not getting the HC job.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
Damn 2008-9 could have been on another level if that had happened. I was always under the impression Tenuta left on his own accord- pissed after not getting the HC job.
In retrospect, with all the grumbling about "high school offense", he probably had decided to move on once the Johnson hire was announced. Might have viewed the bowl game as his audition for another job...

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
In my mind our DL regressed a lot after Larry Knight left, and not just because Keion White wasn’t there. It seemed like we went from an attacking DL to a hold your blocks and wait for the LB‘s to make a play DL
Isn’t that the coordinators call? That’s a scheme thing not a performance thing.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the priority is to get a DC who can recruit talented guys who want to come and play and stay here. Not really any depth on our roster the last few years.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Marco coaches the guys hard and does not accept mediocrity. I think that is a big part of why Kennard is leaving. I think Marco knows he does not have the right groceries to cook a great meal, so he is hard at work trying to find these guys through the transfer portal. I think he likes Kelly and Robinson and if Yondjgouen comes (sp) back healthy , he will be something to work with. But other than that, he needs to find some guys that enjoy punishing a quarterback and can set and hold the edge.

Go Jackets!