Terrible Movie Tuesday

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I watched Cold Pursuit last night. I hadn't seen any previews or reviews so I thought it was a typical Liam Neeson movie. It isn't. It is an attempt to meld a Liam Neeson movie with Fargo. I enjoy Neeson movies. Fargo is a great movie. I guess it was successful at the act of melding them together, but the result isn't worth watching.

Can you explain to me just why in the heck Laura Dean was in this movie?

- did they need a mommy figure?
- was she a symbol for all the dopeheads that were customers of her sons murderer?
- did the people making this movie owe her money?
- any idea?

Also, “The Dead Don’t Die”. After watching this thing Danny Glover owes me reparations.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Get Carter starring Sylvester Stallone...

I'm no Stallone fan, but for some reason I recall liking this movie. Pretty sure I'm wrong though.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure I’d lump that movie in the “terrible” category, but it’s a free country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's definately not a cinematic masterpiece, but you are right I don't know that it is a terrible movie. I certainly like to watch it anytime I see it - even all these years later... :)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm watching San Andreas. This **** is terrible, but I can't bring myself to turn it off.

Just awful.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Do you also have trouble not staring into the sun??? :D
I actually have just the thing for staring into the sun:
B601810C-C76C-4695-A551-F048CD7E15DA.jpeg

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Are those your steampunk goggles?
They are actually home-made eclipse goggles, and you really can stare directly at the sun while wearing them; in fact the sun is the ONLY thing bright enough to be seen when you have them on.

My wife and I made them several years back, for an annular eclipe that occurred on the west coast. We bought welding goggles from Home Depot, sprayed on a primer coat, and then painted them up steampunk-style with supplies from a craft store. (If you look closely at the mother-of-pearl pair, you'll see that it even has bronze filigree, for extra bling.) We made the lenses by purchasing a sheet of the special polymer film (that stuff that they put in the cheap cardboard eclipse glasses--only a full sheet of it) from an online supplier. We cut out circular sections to match the goggles, inserted them between the two clear plexiglass lenses that came with the goggles, and voila!

We still had plenty of leftover material, so my wife also made lens filters for her cameras (and if we'd been thinking, we would have also made filters for our binoculars). We ended up getting some really nice photos of the eclipse. All that gear came in handy again during the Venus transit in 2014 (more awesome photos), and of course in 2017. (I have a brother who lives up in North Georgia, and was right along the line of maximum totality--it was a truly awesome experence.)

Time-lapse composite of the annular eclipse:
eclipse_composite.jpg

Venus in transit across the Sun:
transit_1919.jpg

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Very cool pictures! And they really are steampunk goggles- just fully functional ones. Nicely done
Did you miss the part where I said you can ONLY see the sun while wearing those goggles?

If by “functional” you mean, “bumping into everything because you are effectively blind with them on,” then yes—they’re are highly functional!;)