Tennessee Tech, Baseball

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
More later due to life interfering with baseball.

So far they won their series v Bowling Green last weekend and lost at Alabama. D1 projects them to come in 4th of 9 in the Ohio Valley League. Their top 4 hitters left from last year. Best pitcher is Peyton Calitri was involved in the 1-0 win shutout over Bowling Green pitching 5.0. So that's their best chance to win a game.

Last year they had a 125 RPI and were 1-2 versus top 25. No post season.

1677152505292.png

1677152391283.png

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Attachments

• 1677191315487.png
    1677191315487.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 12

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Must be different where you live. ACCNX basically means ESPN+ in Central Florida. To us that means you can watch every game.

The Georgia Southern game was ESPN+ and not watchable without a ESPN+ subscription. The ACCNX games I can watch on ESPN+ (YouTubeTV or Sling) Don't ask me why, but there are people here who understand all the different carriers and subscriptions.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am hoping for the sweep but agree that the Friday night game is the one with the lowest win probability for us. But, hope springs eternal....

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Can not believe Brown is our Friday starter!
I suspect that the coaches want to give him a 2nd chance in more normal baseball weather, plus it's not obvious who would take his place if/when he pitches his way out of the weekend rotation. Next in line would appear to be Josiah Siegel based on CFDH's comments about wanting to stretch him out. I would give Cody Carwile decent odds of being n the weekend rotation at some pint in the season, but they probably want to ease him back into action. Aeden Finateri is also a possibility, but he has been a stabilizing force in the bullpen and they may not want to mess with that right now.

Anyone else that I'm overlooking?

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
I think based on his Summer League performance and the one inning he has gone so far, Cameron Hill would be a candidate to start.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
Given matchups, Friday is the tough game. Spotting them 5 runs with no outs in the first will probably result in a loss. I'll pick us to win 2.49 this weekend.

So as long as we start today like we have in 75% of our games so far this season, we at least have a shot. But if we start today like we did that one game where we used a starter that isn't listed as a probable starter for this series, we'll probably lose? Is it also true that we will probably lose more games than we win for the rest of the season where we spot them 5 runs with no outs in the first?

I'm starting to get the feeling you think CDH should have pulled our Tuesday starter a little quicker...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So as long as we start today like we have in 75% of our games so far this season, we at least have a shot. But if we start today like we did that one game where we used a starter that isn't listed as a probable starter for this series, we'll probably lose? Is it also true that we will probably lose more games than we win for the rest of the season where we spot them 5 runs with no outs in the first?

I'm starting to get the feeling you think CDH should have pulled our Tuesday starter a little quicker...
I'll be in chat during the game and we'll see how it goes. My long term observation of Hall (this transcends multiple pitching coaches) is:
  1. He often is slower to pull pitchers than other successful coaches. Those other coaches generally have better team ERA stats at the end of the year.
  2. He favors legacy athletes and highly ranked athletes giving them more chances than others (Oscar Serratos wouldn't have survived as long at UVa IMHO)
I would have pulled Schmolke after three straight walks. And had a mound visit after two. Also have someone warming up after the first walk. Yeah, I've got PTSD from our pitching management. Don't even talk about trying to get to a complete game against Auburn ...... All that said, so far in four games and about 14 pitching changes, I only am bitching about two. (Siegel and Schmolke) which is an improvement over previous years.

And just since I got pissed, we are currently 191st in ERA in D1. https://www.ncaa.com/stats/baseball/d1/current/team/211/p4 And I didn't see any ACC teams below us. Given three of those games were against a team with a 235 RPI last year, our pitching has room for improvement.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll be in chat during the game and we'll see how it goes. My long term observation of Hall (this transcends multiple pitching coaches) is:
  1. He often is slower to pull pitchers than other successful coaches. Those other coaches generally have better team ERA stats at the end of the year.
  2. He favors legacy athletes and highly ranked athletes giving them more chances than others (Oscar Serratos wouldn't have survived as long at UVa IMHO)
I would have pulled Schmolke after three straight walks. And had a mound visit after two. Also have someone warming up after the first walk. Yeah, I've got PTSD from our pitching management. Don't even talk about trying to get to a complete game against Auburn ...... All that said, so far in four games and about 14 pitching changes, I only am bitching about two. (Siegel and Schmolke) which is an improvement over previous years.

And just since I got pissed, we are currently 191st in ERA in D1. https://www.ncaa.com/stats/baseball/d1/current/team/211/p4 And I didn't see any ACC teams below us. Given three of those games were against a team with a 235 RPI last year, our pitching has room for improvement.

No doubt our pitching could improve. And no doubt he's shown a tendency to stick with a pitcher longer than he should have throughout his career at GT. Just thought it was a funny add-in to the discussion. Especially since the bullpen and bats bailed us out in that particular game. So it's probably safe to say that he made at least one or two good decisions as that game went on that resulted in the win.

But generally speaking, you don't expect to win too many games when you start off down 5-0 with no outs in the bottom of the first regardless of the opponent or who their pitcher is. So he definitely made the entire crew work harder than necessary by sticking with him so long.