Tennessee Tech, Baseball

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Our best total game of the young season.

Great pitching, offense and defense. Pitching did give up 3 (2 solo HR and a manufactured run on a beautiful bunt). Offense hitting ws .371 and ran up 166 pitches in 8 IP. And defense was no errors and some great plays by Jadyn and Geisler.

Final score was a blow out, but we were facing a very good pitcher and they were ahead 3-2 T6.

Have to enjoy these games when they come along.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Dispigna's HR just landed in my yard. :oops:

Better than the HR is the way he runs up the count. Those high pitch count ABs are body blows that bring most pitchers down. His OBP is only .500 and fourth on the team. Room for improvement.

His vertical isn't bad:
1677281652353.png

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Excited by what I have seen from the pitching so far. Don't tell me the team ERA, just look at how many guys have been effective vs not. Busse (x2) Mannelly (x2), Dalton Smith, Carwile, Hill, King (x2) Finateri (x2), Mcguire, Finley and now Dawson Brown. That's 14 good/excellent appearances by 10 different guys. On the negative side were 5 poor outings, 2 by true freshmen, and a couple of middli' outings (one where Vaughn should have gotten out of the inning but we booted a sure DP and the other where there were 3 walks, but no runs).

I haven't gone back to look, but that sure seems a LOT better than previous years. Last year after 5 games we had 12 poor outings, 11 good ones, and 5 middlin' ones. Quaiity of opposition was probably similar. So, the disappointing performances were more common than the good ones, vs this year where we are getting nearly a 3-1 ratio in our favor.

Here's hoping we have turned a corner with our pitching and it's not just an illusion born of weak opposition.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
No doubt our pitching could improve. And no doubt he's shown a tendency to stick with a pitcher longer than he should have throughout his career at GT. Just thought it was a funny add-in to the discussion. Especially since the bullpen and bats bailed us out in that particular game. So it's probably safe to say that he made at least one or two good decisions as that game went on that resulted in the win.

But generally speaking, you don't expect to win too many games when you start off down 5-0 with no outs in the bottom of the first regardless of the opponent or who their pitcher is. So he definitely made the entire crew work harder than necessary by sticking with him so long.
OTOH, if you’re going to be down 5-0, there’s not better time than after the first inning!! Actually, that’s not even true. Better at the end of the top of the first!! All said TIC!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What was the injury to JJ?

Wiley said upper body injury in pre-game. No details.

Nice game, come from behind. Again no errors. Very few hits till the 8th. We drew 183 pitches through 8, 9 BBs,3 HBP, 2 WP. Just long.

Their CF is really good. We would have broken it open earlier but he made some Ninja Nick type plays.

Slow hook on McGuire (46 pitches and 20 strikes). He went out with injury, but that would only have been a few pitches at most.

Once again, our starter in trouble but the 3 following in bullpen did great (Cody was fortunate and Busse was an assassin).

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Haven't heard anything about any of the injuries. Hope they aren't bad. McGuire looked like he simply couldn't deliver the ball his normal way, like something physical was stopping him. I think they saw it in the dugout and decided to take no chances and got him out. His last few pitches were....not good at all.

Another game with 3 good pitching performances vs 1 bad, so the ratio remains good. BUT, our starters have given us only 3 quality starts in 6 games, and that is worrisome. When Brown pitched so well starting yesterday I was hoping we'd string together a few quality starts, get way ahead, and get some other arms into action.