Tennessee Tech, Baseball

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Just absolutely exploded late, but some really clutch moments when we were down early especially Reid’s bomb to tie it at 4.

I had said at the start of the year wasn’t sure if we were going to have the same kind of power hitting we are used to be, but I think that has been answered. Even with Compton out right now we still have multiple guys that can just crush the ball.

Busse is the real deal, that dudes slider is nasty. It doesn’t even snap off, but it just moves so far away from the starting point, he is a real game changer for us as the 8th/9th inning closer. I haven’t felt this confident in the bullpen in a long time.

6-0 and looking good! Been fun to watch!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just absolutely exploded late, but some really clutch moments when we were down early especially Reid’s bomb to tie it at 4.

I had said at the start of the year wasn’t sure if we were going to have the same kind of power hitting we are used to be, but I think that has been answered. Even with Compton out right now we still have multiple guys that can just crush the ball.

Busse is the real deal, that dudes slider is nasty. It doesn’t even snap off, but it just moves so far away from the starting point, he is a real game changer for us as the 8th/9th inning closer. I haven’t felt this confident in the bullpen in a long time.

6-0 and looking good! Been fun to watch!

Looking forward to Finley pitching today. Here's what I'm happiest about so far:
  • In field defense depth - so far, much smoother even as we replace many of the players. Overall fielding is .982 which is a big improvement from last year .968. But aside from errors, we are just better at making hard plays too.
  • Catcher position - Rubenstein and Minnick are a strength. Rubenstein has really improved and Minnick is showing why he was ranked high.
  • Pitching depth - bullpen and closers are consistently much better than last year. Starters have bright spots, but with depth let's just tell the first guy out he only goes through the order once. Also overall, the hook speed has been quicker. Cody got a mound visit in relief yesterday after 6 pitches. (One strike in his first 8 pitches is hard to be happy about so I won't dwell on that.)
  • OBP for team is .453. Five players >= .500. The approach at the plate runs up the pitch count and is effective long term.
  • 1677412579899.png

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Looking forward to Finley pitching today. Here's what I'm happiest about so far:
  • In field defense depth - so far, much smoother even as we replace many of the players. Overall fielding is .982 which is a big improvement from last year .968. But aside from errors, we are just better at making hard plays too.
  • Catcher position - Rubenstein and Minnick are a strength. Rubenstein has really improved and Minnick is showing why he was ranked high.
  • Pitching depth - bullpen and closers are consistently much better than last year. Starters have bright spots, but with depth let's just tell the first guy out he only goes through the order once. Also overall, the hook speed has been quicker. Cody got a mound visit in relief yesterday after 6 pitches. (One strike in his first 8 pitches is hard to be happy about so I won't dwell on that.)
  • OBP for team is .453. Five players >= .500. The approach at the plate runs up the pitch count and is effective long term.
  • View attachment 14052
I agree with everything you said. I have been impressed with the development we have seen from the pitching staff. This is something that was most criticized by posters on here and deservedly so. Players like Finateri, King, Carwile, Hill and Mannelly have shown marked improvement from last year. The addition of Busse has been a true blessing. If anyone out there knows more background on how he chose Ga Tech as a transfer destination I would love to here it. His stuff is electric. While we haven't seen the results yet, you can see the talent of the freshmen pitchers we brought in. Speaking of freshmen, those that have gotten a chance to play in the field and at bat don't look like freshmen. They have been very poised both at the plate and in the field. And lastly, we may not have the overpowering lineup that we had last year but one thing we have seen is timely hitting. I have been impressed so far and look forward to seeing continued growth throughout the season.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah I screwed up saying our D was better. Two errors on Diamant in 1st. 4 unearned runs. Finley looking good with a very tight strike zone.

As long as the zone stays tight, we should be ok.

Lone Star Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah I screwed up saying our D was better. Two errors on Diamant in 1st. 4 unearned runs. Finley looking good with a very tight strike zone.

As long as the zone stays tight, we should be ok.
Defense at SS has been pretty bad, between Jackson & Diamant. One place you can’t afford a lot of errors. And neither one has been hitting much either. Definitely our weakest position spot so far this season.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I was sitting next to one of the player's parents at Georgia Southern, and he noted that Minnick is still supposed to be in high school. This was after his 3 run HR that got us back into the game. He's a mid-year enrollee, and according to his bio is Rated as a top-35 catcher nationally and the No. 2 catcher in the state of Georgia for Class of 2023, according to Perfect Game

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was sitting next to one of the player's parents at Georgia Southern, and he noted that Minnick is still supposed to be in high school. This was after his 3 run HR that got us back into the game. He's a mid-year enrollee, and according to his bio is Rated as a top-35 catcher nationally and the No. 2 catcher in the state of Georgia for Class of 2023, according to Perfect Game

He's 18 years 6 months according to Perfect Game. So started late in school probably. But I've seen opinions that his catching technique could be better than Parada's. What made Parada the $$$ was the bat too.

But if 18-1/2 is right, we should have him another two years (August birthday after the draft).

Good game today other than the errors. 3 DPs. OBP > .500. 2 ERA.

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
And, except for Samol, another great job by the bullpen holding TT until our bats could catch us up.
He has struggled so far, other than that first outstanding inning last week. But, I think Samol will wind up being a stud. I think it is good to keep running these young guys out there.

I also saw mention earlier in the week of a Hill injury. Any more on that?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
He has struggled so far, other than that first outstanding inning last week. But, I think Samol will wind up being a stud. I think it is good to keep running these young guys out there.

I also saw mention earlier in the week of a Hill injury. Any more on that?
I agree, especially when you've got a big lead late, let's get some of these younguns some innings

Lone Star Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree, especially when you've got a big lead late, let's get some of these younguns some innings
Ditto for Vaughan - hasn’t really shown much so far, but Busse definitely needed a day off. Guess Mannelly was probably waiting in the wings once TTU got the tying run in the on-deck circle in the 9th.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
And, except for Samol, another great job by the bullpen holding TT until our bats could catch us up.
I saw both Schmolke (twice) and Samol. They both have really good stuff. They just need to throw STRIKES! Not sure why that's such a problem for some of our pitchers, unless their mechanics are being "tweaked"...